PDA

View Full Version : blueyonder have done it

bigsinky
13-09-2003, 21:37
so why cat ntl release a 2 megabit service to those punters that are willing to pay for it. you could use up your 1 gig cap in half the time :)

cheers

big sinky

Defiant
13-09-2003, 21:40
Because they have informed their customers that they dont like them downloading more than 1GB per day so their going to look the complete muppets that they are by introducing that

kronas
13-09-2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Defiant
Because they have informed their customers that they dont like them downloading more than 1GB per day so their going to look the complete muppets that they are by introducing that

but shouldnt (in time honoured tradition) NTL introduce it anyway :D

*supports 2mbit regardless of the cap :rolleyes:

Defiant
13-09-2003, 21:48
Bah BT will be their before NTL. NTL are nothing now

Atomic22
14-09-2003, 19:48
depends on the price ntl punt out the 2mb at though , if its over 45 quid they can stuff it

Dave Stones
14-09-2003, 19:49
Originally posted by Atomic22
depends on the price ntl punt out the 2mb at though , if its over 45 quid they can stuff it

they started 1mb at £50 and the fishies still bit...

*remembers the day when 512k was £40 a month

Nidge
15-09-2003, 06:39
They have just started advertising on TV for the 2MB service Telewest I think.

DeadKenny
15-09-2003, 22:45
Originally posted by Nidge
They have just started advertising on TV for the 2MB service Telewest I think.

It's been on for a while, and on the radio. They keep boasting about it being the fastest broadband in Britain or something along those lines (not strictly true, but certainly the fastest in the price range and especially for residential services).

Thing is though, if NTL got 2Mbps it would still have a pathetically low upstream.

paulyoung666
15-09-2003, 22:52
Originally posted by DeadKenny
It's been on for a while, and on the radio. They keep boasting about it being the fastest broadband in Britain or something along those lines (not strictly true, but certainly the fastest in the price range and especially for residential services).

Thing is though, if NTL got 2Mbps it would still have a pathetically low upstream.

only because they would cap it low , sodding ntl :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

keithwalton
15-09-2003, 22:57
your never going to get more than 256k upstream unless you go onto a specific package that gives it, eg heavy use, or gamer style. as well most people dont need it unless they run there own game servers and other such things like p2p.

K
*happily surfing on plusnet 2mbit adsl*

DeadKenny
15-09-2003, 23:04
Originally posted by keithwalton
your never going to get more than 256k upstream unless you go onto a specific package that gives it, eg heavy use, or gamer style. as well most people dont need it unless they run there own game servers and other such things like p2p.

K
*happily surfing on plusnet 2mbit adsl*

Web server. Even for personal use only it's damn slow if you want a friend/relative to pull off files or to drag files like MP3s from your home server (all legit files) to work :(.

Still, 256kbps is at least an improvement. That's the main reason I upgraded to 1Mbps, but the attraction of 256kbps on a cheaper 512kbps ADSL connection is tempting.

Problem is dedicated connections are typically business packages which are vastly more expensive.

Atomic22
18-09-2003, 20:23
someone in cardiff just told me on IRC he is beta testing 2mb for ntl and they are only charging him for 1mb still.
could this be true or is he just giving me bs?

Graham F
18-09-2003, 20:26
someone in cardiff just told me on IRC he is beta testing 2mb for ntl and they are only charging him for 1mb still.

:rofl: :rofl:

it sounds like BS to me :D

Defiant
18-09-2003, 20:29

Yea they can only spend a few hours downloading though because of the capp :D

Richard M
18-09-2003, 20:36
Originally posted by Scooby
:rofl: :rofl:

it sounds like BS to me :D

Not really, I got paid for beta testing the AOL cable modem service from NTL so it is possible.

Graham F
18-09-2003, 20:39
Originally posted by Roger K
Not really, I got paid for beta testing the AOL cable modem service from NTL so it is possible.

that wasn't what i was laughing at, i know ntl offer ppl incentives to test products but i can't see ntl bringing out 2Mb until at least q2 next year so testing would be way too early IMO.

*waits for the press release tomorrow now* :p

Edit - I have heard a rumour that ntl will bring out its ADSL freedom product before this, and that is due to come out in q1 next year so i hear :D