PDA

View Full Version : Belkin ADSL Wireless Router connection problem

Paddymick
02-04-2005, 02:33
Hi
My appologies in advance if this has been covered already I've tried but can't find it in this forum.

I want to set up a home LAN connecting my desktop with a laptop. The laptop is wireless ready and I've bought a Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-in 802.11g Wireless Router F5D7630-4A to connect the two.

My desktop is connected to the Internet through an NTL broadband box. My problem is that I can't get the damn things connected, I'm baffled by the cabling! I'm wondering is this router is incompatable with the NTL box?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Strzelecki
02-04-2005, 06:32
You've got the wrong model router there. Your NTL is a cable service and not and ADSL service (which you receive through your telephone line). Without going into technicalities, which are posted elsewhere all over this forum, you need to take/send that router back and swap it for a 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router Part# F5D7230uk4, which will have all the correct connections for settting it up with your Set Top Box. Hope that helps!

Graham M
02-04-2005, 11:47
i have the Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router F5D.... blah and its a very good piece of kit, thoroughly recommendable.

Paddymick
02-04-2005, 19:20
Many thanks gents

I knew there was something wrong. I could have went insane trying to work out how to connect this thing. You have saved me a lot of grief, many thanks again!

Chris
02-04-2005, 19:53
Many thanks gents

I knew there was something wrong. I could have went insane trying to work out how to connect this thing. You have saved me a lot of grief, many thanks again!

Let me guess, you bought the model the man at PC World told you you'd need after you explained to him what BB connection you have ... and it was probably the same one who looked at my mother-in-law's laptop and said it din't already have a wireless card installed, despite the wireless shortcut hardkey, the blue 'wireless active' led next to the keyboard, and the 'wireless active' icon in the tray by the clock ...

(guess what, I set up wireless for her this afternoon!)

Paddymick
06-04-2005, 16:49
Let me guess, you bought the model the man at PC World told you you'd need after you explained to him what BB connection you have ... and it was probably the same one who looked at my mother-in-law's laptop and said it din't already have a wireless card installed, despite the wireless shortcut hardkey, the blue 'wireless active' led next to the keyboard, and the 'wireless active' icon in the tray by the clock ...

(guess what, I set up wireless for her this afternoon!)

Nope, I can't blame PC World this time. But if you look at another post I've made you'll find I'm far from a fan of that particular scam merchant. I just didn't bother checkin what modem I needed, simple and stupid. And you don't see that being admitted too often on these forums.

But once again I'm grateful to Strzelecki, he came across with real advice and no attidute. How refreshing.

Strzelecki
10-04-2005, 23:00
No problem! You'll be shocked to know I work for PC World!:disturbd: