PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Barclays Bank Scam

Graham
11-09-2003, 14:09
Hi there,

I've received a fake e-mail "Security Update" going to "Valued Barclays Customers" telling them to go to "www.barclays.co.uk" asking them to "reactivate their account".

I thought this sounded suspect (especially as I'm not their customer!), so I've contacted Barclays and they are aware of the problem as it is designed to harvest customer information and should not be touched!

Be warned, no legitimate business ever does this sort of thing!

Cheers,
Graham.

downquark1
11-09-2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Graham
Hi there,

I've received a fake e-mail "Security Update" going to "Valued Barclays Customers" telling them to go to "www.barclays.co.uk" asking them to "reactivate their account".

I thought this sounded suspect (especially as I'm not their customer!), so I've contacted Barclays and they are aware of the problem as it is designed to harvest customer information and should not be touched!

Be warned, no legitimate business ever does this sort of thing!

Cheers,
Graham.
Isn't www.barclays.co.uk the official site??

Gogogo
11-09-2003, 15:16
Graham, thanks for the tip, as we are Barclays customers we will watch for it although personal banking has a different URL.

Seems odd though.

:)

duncant403
11-09-2003, 15:27
Originally posted by downquark1

Probably, but link in the email will just "look" like it goes to barclays.co.uk but instead uses some clever redirection to take you to some where else.

(The simply solution would be browsers to remove support for that kind of re-direction - or at least gives users the option to disable it - as I can't think of any valid reason for needing to use it...)

Graham
12-09-2003, 18:38

Yes, but the link doesn't actually go there. It adds a whole bunch of spaces to hide the fact that it's not real location.

Fortunately for Netscape users, it shows the spaces in the location bar with % 20 characters which gives the hint that there's something else lurking there.

dialanothernumb
12-09-2003, 19:04
thanks for the warning.. as you say, no kosher business would do this, but it could be easy to get caught napping...

Gogogo
12-09-2003, 19:04
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/32796.html

Graham F
13-09-2003, 18:20
Hi all saw this and thought i should share the news of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3105658.stm) scam!!!

Please all be careful :)

Gogogo
13-09-2003, 19:19
Discussed previously:

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2590

:wavey:

Graham F
13-09-2003, 20:24
Originally posted by Gogogo
Discussed previously:

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2590

:o opps... my bad :o

Maggy
13-09-2003, 21:21

No! The url I use is very different from that.

Anyway I suspect that if there was any problem they would not send an email but would write a snail mail.Barclays is very fond of the old snail mail route.I've NEVER EVER received an email from them.

Incog.:)

Graham
14-09-2003, 03:37
Maybe this thread should have "As seen on TV" added to the title now!

Unfortunately the TV news programmes seem to be talking it up as "a indication of the dangers of internet banking" etc, which is almost total BS and gives the wrong impression.

Yes, there's a problem, but that sort of sweeping over-generalisation will just confuse those who aren't internet savvy :(

Gogogo
14-09-2003, 06:51
Originally posted by Graham
Maybe this thread should have "As seen on TV" added to the title now! Unfortunately the TV news programmes seem to be talking it up as "a indication of the dangers of internet banking" etc, which is almost total BS and gives the wrong impression.
Yes, there's a problem, but that sort of sweeping over-generalisation will just confuse those who aren't internet savvy :(

I think news media, especially TV news editors, love to find anything negative about the Internet they seem to think people are impressed by such throw away lines. Perhaps TV news editors feel threatened by the existence of the internet?

Good to know that Barclays Bank reacted very quickly to this and acted, so we are informed to prevent any ill gotten gains by those who started this scam, though apparently not before 400 fell for it! Hopefully, these people involved in the scam will be tracked down and punished appropriatetly.

It's a matter of common sense and keeping one's wits alive

Russ
14-09-2003, 08:17
The address for Barclays on-line banking is actually www.ibank.barclays.co.uk :)

tomw
14-09-2003, 11:09
Barclays are doing ok on there own Scams without help from other Ie overdraft charges @ 25 quid a shot for the first day and 25 quid for every day after But dont worry they will only charge you for three days in any one Month

Graham
14-09-2003, 20:12
So change your bank!

See http://www.switchwithwhich.com/ for more details.

darkangel
14-09-2003, 20:16
Originally posted by tomw
Barclays are doing ok on there own Scams without help from other Ie overdraft charges @ 25 quid a shot for the first day and 25 quid for every day after But dont worry they will only charge you for three days in any one Month most banks charge that for unauthorised overdrafts

trebor
14-09-2003, 22:00
I have had this email as well, and I have never been a barclays customer ( never had enough money ;) )
the address in the email traces back to some place in america
as somehost.affinity.com, if I remember correctly.