PDA

View Full Version : Help required on installation of Linksys router

ultimate
31-03-2005, 16:53
I just bought a Linksys WRT54G and just reading through the installation guide, something which I do not understanding and I have never come across, so some advice is much appreciated.

I have internet coming through from my Pace STB.

1. Am I using PPPoE if so what is going to be my user name and password, does it mean my primary email and password with NTL, or is it the PID??

2. Am I connecting through PPTP?

3. What are wireless-G and 802.11b devices?

Thanks

philip.j.fry
31-03-2005, 17:09
1. Am I using PPPoE if so what is going to be my user name and password, does it mean my primary email and password with NTL, or is it the PID??

2. Am I connecting through PPTP?

No and No, you are connecting through ethernet, all that you should need to do is plug the WAN port of the router into your STB, you may need to cycle the power on your STB to get it to recognise the router.

3. What are wireless-G and 802.11b devices?

They are both wireless devices, B devices transfer at a rate of 11Mbps while G devices transfer at 54Mbps, your router can handle both (and is itself a wireless G device)

Stuart
31-03-2005, 17:11
Haven't used the Linksys, but AFAIK, PPPoE is for ADSL use only. I think it's the same for PPTP.

Wireless G (802.11g) and 802.11b are two different types of wireless network connection. If you don't have a wireless network card (or aren't using a laptop with Centrino processor), you won't need to worry about either.

If you are using a computer with Wireless connection, then XP (and Mac OS actually) are good at automatically configuring themselves for wireless networking.

However, if you will be using a wireless network, I recommend you read this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?goto=lastcomment&v=1&a=12) first. It's an article on wireless security that was originally written by StuartBe and then modified by Nemesis (who's currently a moderator on this forum).

ultimate
31-03-2005, 17:19
Thanks for your help, when I drum up enough courage, I'll change over tonight.

Tezcatlipoca
31-03-2005, 19:16
As you're using an STB for your broadband, you'll also have to register the MAC address of the router (very easy - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg), unless you clone the PC's MAC onto the router instead (also very easy).

LSainsbury
31-03-2005, 19:41
...and to take advantage of 54Mbps G standard, you need to buy 802.11g devices. And if you have bought the model with the speedboost feature, you need to make sure you buy the wireless adapters with that feature.

andygrif
31-03-2005, 23:55
I ahve to say that I was a bit nervous about setting up a network, let alone a wireless one. I bought the Linksys and it was very simple, the instructions were pretty good and most settings were reasonable out of the box.

The things to change are things like switching off the broadcast of your SSID and switching on WPA (not the WEP) which may involve a firmware update from Linksys' UK (not US) website depending on how old your model's firmware is.

Apart from that you should be up and running in a few minutes!

Tezcatlipoca
31-03-2005, 23:57
Following on from andygrif's mention of wireless security, here's a link to an article on the subject - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

ultimate
01-04-2005, 20:51
The switch over was a success, the only hitch was I have 1 old desktop and I old laptop still on Windows 98 (not SE), and the recievers are not compatible with it, so will have to look for W98 SE upgrade disks. Thanks for all your advice people !