PDA

View Full Version : RJ45 Connector - FTP Cable

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 10:11
Anyone got any pointers/tips for wiring an RJ45 connector for a cable I am making at home. I am having a hell of a time wiring the connector with my FTP Cat-5 Cable. I untwist them etc, get them in the desired order but they will simply NOT go into the plug easily....The plug does see to have more vertical type holes rathen than horizontal...maybe I am not flattening them out enough?

Anyone got any tips on wiring?

paulyoung666
31-03-2005, 10:16
wtf :confused: , what exactly are you trying to do , :welcome: to the site btw :)

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 10:20
Cheers ;-)! Well I am making a cable to extend into anothe room - a standard Ethernet Cat-5/RJ45 connector cable (EIA/TIA 568B). I have cut it, arranged it but having a heck of a time getting the untwisted pais into the RJ45...just wanted to know if anyone had any hidden tips ;-)

ScaredWebWarrior
31-03-2005, 10:22
Anyone got any pointers/tips for wiring an RJ45 connector for a cable I am making at home. I am having a hell of a time wiring the connector with my FTP Cat-5 Cable. I untwist them etc, get them in the desired order but they will simply NOT go into the plug easily....The plug does see to have more vertical type holes rathen than horizontal...maybe I am not flattening them out enough?

Anyone got any tips on wiring?

I understand the difficulties of getting the Cat-5 strands into the RJ45 connector - that's tricky, but I 'm not sure what you mean by a 'FTP Cat-5 Cable'?

Anyway, the way I handle it is to untwist the strands, then lay them side-by-side in the required order, then straighten each strand as well as possible. Then finally, holding the ordered strands closely together between finger and thumb I generally squeeze, twist and stretch a little to get the strands to lie closely together. (BTW - did I mention making sure they're cut to the right length?)
Then, while holding the strands I put them into the connector - this usually has 'guides' that will then keep the strands in place.
Check that the strands are still in the right order, and then crimp the connector.

Job done.

You might also check out http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html (http://www.ertyu.org/%7Esteven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html)

more pretty pictures: http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/networking/Wiring_Tips/Wiring100TX/letsmakesomecables.htm

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 11:05
I have a tool to cut the desired lengths. FTP - Foil Twisted Pair - better than UTP - Unshielded Twisted Pair. It has been ages since I done a cable so maybe I just need practice ;-)

Graham M
31-03-2005, 12:20
You mean STP - Shielded Twisted Pair, If I remember correctly, there are special earthed connectors for this. THere is really no point in using STP to wire through your living room, UTP will work with no problems and the cable and connectors are a helluva lot cheaper. Standard Plastic RJ45 connectors will not fit onto STP as far as I know.

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 12:31
No, I mean FTP Cable. STP and FTP are different (common theme is they are both shielded). I am using FTP as it will be going through 3 walls to the the other room and will be going around junction boxes and electrical rings to the point of connection. I have found FTP performance to be far better for this in the past. I am not sure about the earthing connectors - I doubt I would require these for the home - maybe if I was in a factory or something!

Graham M
31-03-2005, 12:47
Well STP or FTP whatever is thicker than standard UTP so probably wouldnt fit into a standard RJ45 plastic connector.

ScaredWebWarrior
31-03-2005, 12:49
I am not sure about the earthing connectors - I doubt I would require these for the home - maybe if I was in a factory or something!

The shielding is pointless if it's not terminated!

I have to agree that the short runs in the home environment don't really call for it.

So if you're not going to terminate the shielding, then don't bother using STP or FTP.

(BTW more on types of shielding here http://www.answers.com/topic/twisted-pair)

Graham M
31-03-2005, 12:51
Thanks SWW, thats what I was trying to get across ;)

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 13:52
OK, that aside - and the fact that is the cable reel I have (got it from a mate :-) now - there is no reason that the cable should not fit into a standard RJ45. and operate the same as UTP. If you know of a special RJ45 connector for FTp cable let me know - I have never seen one or heard of them (I do know there are shielded boots but I canot think of a specific connector?) In essence FTP cable is the same as UTP bar the Foil shielding and therefore is increased durability.

Graham M
31-03-2005, 14:10
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13521&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=31m3

?

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 14:15
Now that is the fella! Good man ;-) Ease of use here we come!

Though as I noted - the RJ45 connector is still the same

Jon T
31-03-2005, 17:33
Are you earthing the foil in the FTP cable to anything?

Not sure how your gonna do it effectively, because if you earth it to the equipment at both sides of the cable then you may introduce an earth loop due to the connected equipment being at slightly different potentials to each other, this could possibly be far more dentrimental to the signal than using standard cat5/utp.

Graham M
31-03-2005, 18:02
You earth it at one end.

thecableguy2
31-03-2005, 19:47
Hey All, OK this is where my ignorance of FTP cable comes in. Are you saying that a length of FTP cable with RJ45's each end will not work. How do you earth it?

I think I will just get some standard UTP tomorrorow (50m for £10) and be done with it, but it does seem a shame to not use the FTP even if I can just use it as I would UTP.

Any more ideas/help appreciated.

ScaredWebWarrior
31-03-2005, 19:51
Hey All, OK this is where my ignorance of FTP cable comes in. Are you saying that a length of FTP cable with RJ45's each end will not work. How do you earth it?

I think I will just get some standard UTP tomorrorow (50m for £10) and be done with it, but it does seem a shame to not use the FTP even if I can just use it as I would UTP.

Any more ideas/help appreciated.

Stop worrying.

Seeing as you've got the cable, just use it. Don't worry about the shielding - in a home environment it'll work fine.

Looks like those dandy connectors from Maplin are just the ticket if you haven't got patience.

Pal NSWireless
18-01-2010, 16:00
Hi to everyone. I have nearly the same problem, I want to crimp an FTP cable into a RJ45 CAT6 connector for STP and FTP cables. The only difference between this connector and the regular one is that there are two rows for the wires. Thats not an problem the stripped wires goes down (beneath the colored ones). But when I tried to pull the wires to the end of the connector I can`t do it. It seems like the wires are too thick to get into the place (holes). I thought it could be something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13521&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=31m3 .

Can anyone help me? :)

Graham M
18-01-2010, 16:08
Wow, nearly 5 years since I wrote that, time's gone quick. Anyway, the RJ45 connectors with staggered holes are absolutely awful if the internal wires of the cable are even slightly flexible, they work much better with solid wires, that's the puppy you want for simplicity, they do work out fairly expensive however