PDA

View Full Version : (Another) networking problem

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 14:27
Lo all.............

ntl 3 meg connection via stb to netgear wgr614 router
laptop (xp home) connected to router via wireless connection
desktop (xp pro) connected to router via ethernet to usb adaptor (cabled)
Last night we had a one hour powercut that occured while both machines were on. After booting up both machines today both internet connections are fine but neither machne can connect to the other. ('network path cannot be found')
I have tried running network connection wizard on both of them to no avail
The laptop can see the desktop but not visa versa.
File and printer sharing is enabled on both machines.
Router settings appear fine.
I'm stumped as to what to try next............ :( :confused:

one other thing.....when I open up internet connection properties, the 'network bridge adaptor' is missing......is this significant?

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 14:35
Firewalls on either system?
Any errors in the event logs on either system?
Can each system ping the other, both by IP & hostname?
If so, what about 'net view <ip add>'?
SP1 or 2?

Marge
30-03-2005, 14:37
I get the same message if my firewalls are both active on the pc's

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 15:07
I have tried it with both firewalls disabled
Don't know how to ping them
Both have SP2

Raistlin
30-03-2005, 15:08
Try going into Start > Find/Search and looking for the other computer from there.

I had the same problem a while back and this cured it.

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 15:18
I have tried it with both firewalls disabled
Don't know how to ping them
Both have SP2

At a command/DOS prompt just type:

ping 192.168.n.n
or
ping laptop

similarly

net view 192.168.n.n
net view laptop

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 16:01
At a command/DOS prompt just type:

ping 192.168.n.n
or
ping laptop

similarly

net view 192.168.n.n
net view laptop

'ping' is not recognised as an internal or external command :confused:

Try going into Start > Find/Search and looking for the other computer from there.

I had the same problem a while back and this cured it.tried it....no good :(

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:05
'ping' is not recognised as an internal or external command :confused:

I know it doesnt help much but if its saying that, then something is badly screwed! :Yikes:

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 16:08
I know it doesnt help much but if its saying that, then something is badly screwed! :Yikes:yep..........wierd isn't it :confused:
btw.....anyone know what the '1934 connection' does in the network connections list?

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 16:09
1394 connection? that's your firewire...

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:09
i assume you mean 1394, thats a Firewire network connection

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 16:11
i assume you mean 1394, thats a Firewire network connectionOk......thanks, just checking :)

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 16:12
Ping missing on both systems?

ping.exe should be located in the c:\windows\system32 directory. Try typing

c:\windows\system32\ping.exe 192.168.n.n

If that works then you path string has got snafued somehow. If ping.exe is missing :O

Found this MS document that might help - if you can get ping working!
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308007

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 16:14
So now I am back to asking........where tf has the network bridge adaptor gone from the network connections list? :confused:

Ping missing on both systems?

ping.exe should be located in the c:\windows\system32 directory. Try typing

c:\windows\system32\ping.exe 192.168.n.n

If that works then you path string has got snafued somehow. If ping.exe is missing :O

Found this MS document that might help - if you can get ping working!
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308007that did it......request timed out :(

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:16
You are pinging the correct IP and NOT n.n I hope? :)

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 16:27
IIRC the network bridge adapter is related to ICS and or bridging between the two networks - ie LAN and ieee1394. You shouldn't need the network bridge if you are just plugging in to a router.

Just had a thought - some routers refuse to pass on pings - a security feature. Has the powercut reset the router into a default configuration that is blocking internal traffic?

net view \\<ip address> may be a more valid test. What does this report on each system?

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 17:00
You are pinging the correct IP and NOT n.n I hope? :)I may be thick but not that thick :p:

(KP/Nemmy/Scott--shaddup! :D )

dilli-theclaw
30-03-2005, 17:04
I may be thick but not that thick :p:

MMMmmm........ ;):D

Well you never mentioned ME:D

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 17:08
Just had a thought - some routers refuse to pass on pings - a security feature. Has the powercut reset the router into a default configuration that is blocking internal traffic?

net view \\<ip address> may be a more valid test. What does this report on each system?Doesnt like the syntax of that command............only wants words like localgroup, computer..........etc......but I can't get it to actually like the syntax anything I type in :mad: :rolleyes: :dunce:

I enabled 'respond to ping on internet port' in the router and tried pinging the laptop .............timed out :mad:

MMMmmm........ ;):D

Well you never mentioned ME:DYou ain't that cruel! :p:

dilli-theclaw
30-03-2005, 17:08
You ain't that cruel! :p:

Only when I'm in a bad mood :)

Rough.D
30-03-2005, 17:57
I may be thick but not that thick :p:

Hhhmmmmmmmm as he backs in to an occupied corner and takes up position :D

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 18:35
Hhhmmmmmmmm as he backs in to an occupied corner and takes up position :DThat was just done for humorous effect oops:

..now.........back to my little problem.........both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.
When the lappy tries to connect to the desktop I get (amongst other words) 'network path cannot be established'............wtf? :confused:

Electrolyte01
30-03-2005, 18:38
Darn it all! :D

KingPhoenix
30-03-2005, 18:49
That was just done for humorous effect oops:

..now.........back to my little problem.........

Mandy did mention something about that :erm: :angel: But i thought you wanted to discuss your network issues ......

both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.
When the lappy tries to connect to the desktop I get (amongst other words) 'network path cannot be established'............wtf? :confused:

Ok, have you double/triple/quadruple checked that ALL firewalls are disabled (lets see if we can get these bad boys to ping) Are you running SP2? if so open up your control panel and goto the firewall settings and disable it... Are you running any other firewall software? if so disable it...

Get the ip of the laptop (in a dos prompt type ipconfig) (make sure were using the current IP) also what is the subnet set to?
Goto the desktop do the same (get ip and subnet) (do both machines have the same subnet? and are they both on the same subnet..... should be... but you never know ;))

From the desktop machine, open a dos prompt and type ping ip.of.laptop.here

if this is still dead.... try it the other way round... there should be no reason that you cant ping an IP address on your network, other than a firewall. It is the only thing that will and can block icmp packets...

Richard M
30-03-2005, 18:52
That was just done for humorous effect oops:

..now.........back to my little problem.........

Mandy did mention something about that :erm: :angel: But i thought you wanted to discuss your network issues ......

Hehe... :rofl:

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 18:58
...both machines can see the router but they cannot connect to each other, in fact the desktop can't even see the laptop.

Rammie,

Below is what I would expect from the net view command:
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>net view \\athlon64
Shared resources at \\athlon64

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------
Mydocs Disk
photo Print hp photosmart P1000 series

Try this on each machine, once using it's own hostname, once using the other hostname, once using the other IPaddress and finally with no hostname, and post the results. This will establish whether the basic SMB networking is running on each computer.

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 19:32
Thanks guys...I'll try those suggestions later............2 more patients now and then got to get kiddies to bed :disturbd:

KingPhoenix
30-03-2005, 19:33
Well you can do it whilst your patients are relaxing ;) :)

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 21:12
Well you can do it whilst your patients are relaxing ;) :)Oy! Behave! :D

Right..........( on the laptop-xp home) I type 'command prompt' in the run box.........brings up the black box and I type 'ipconfig'.this produces a reply of :'ipconfig is not a recognised internal or external command'

so I type \windows\system32\ipconfig...............which brings up 'cannot find the path'
I have tried that command with .exe on the end, without the \ at the beginning and also with a \\ after the 32....same results :disturbd:

Right..ping.exe works on the desktop but request times out
The command doesn't work on the lappy :(

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>net view \\athlon64
I'm unsure what to type in place of 'Steve' :dunce:

Electrolyte01
30-03-2005, 21:13
Oh brother :rolleyes: :p:

Ramrod
30-03-2005, 21:36
desktop-local area connection-ethernet to usb adaptor-
ip address=192.168.0.2
subnet mask=255.255.255.0
default gateway=192.168.0.1

laptop....all the same as above apart from ip is 192.168.0.3 :shrug:

Just figured out that the laptop needs the command \winnt\system32
.......pinging the desktop just gets 'timed out' :(

....and that was done with all firewalls off.

KingPhoenix
30-03-2005, 22:57
ok..... are these manually set ip addresses? or does the router send them to the machines?

Rammy run this command from a dos prompt

arp -a

and paste the output here

Aragorn
30-03-2005, 22:58

:erm: The bit before the > is my prompt (ie current directory). All you need to type at the prompt is

net view \\systemname

It looks like your path variable has got messed up, and could be the cause of the problems. At a command prompt type in

path (you may need c:\windows\system32\path or c:\winnt\system32\path !)

Normally this will report something like
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys tem32\Wbem (no spaces in this string!)

You can change this temporarily, ie add your 'system32' directory, at cmd prompt -
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;%path%
or
PATH=C:\WINNT\system32;%path%

Now commands like ping, ipconfig and net view should work.

The IP addresses look fine, so I would set the path correctly and try the net view commands again.

The set the path correctly permanently you need to get into the 'system' control panel applet (right click on 'My Computer and select properties), select the advanced tab and click 'Environmental Variables'. In the bottom half of this screen are system variables, one is Path. Change it so that your system32 directory is first in the path. Then reboot both systems and see if that helps.

Eitherway, get back to us in the morning - time for some sleep!

HTH

Richard M
31-03-2005, 00:43
Well you can do it whilst your patients are relaxing ;) :)Oy! Behave! :D

Right..........( on the laptop-xp home) I type 'command prompt' in the run box.........brings up the black box and I type 'ipconfig'.this produces a reply of :'ipconfig is not a recognised internal or external command'

Are you using a Mac? :D
Seriously, if your Windows system is saying that I think it may be time for a reinstall. (unless it runs Win95/98/ME, in which case that behaviour is normal)