PDA

View Full Version : Training material single or double?

markmarkymark
30-03-2005, 13:22
Yo all..

Quick poll if I may.

I am working on some training material at the moment. I'm sure many of you have been on training courses in the past. What would you rather have as training material :

Double sided?
Single sided?
Don't Care?

Many thanks

Mark

punky
30-03-2005, 13:26
Single is nicer because you can make notes on the other side...

Of course, the environmentalists will chase me down the road for that statement.

Chris W
30-03-2005, 13:27
It depends how the material is presented... if it is a bound handbook then both sides would be fine. However, if it is loose leaf or stapled then single sided would be preferable :)

Tuftus
30-03-2005, 13:35
Single sided for the same reason as punky...

paulyoung666
30-03-2005, 13:56
double , you can always write in the margins and gaps and therefore it saves you having to turn the page over and over to reference your notes to the literature ;) :D :D :D

bmxbandit
30-03-2005, 14:20
i have weeny little writing, so i find double sided is fine :D

a good compromise is if the writing is spread out a little, with intentional spaces for notes where appropriate. makes it much easier to annotate and to re-read later, and allows for double sided.

punky
30-03-2005, 14:24
It all depends on what the notes are about... If you have to draw diagrams on operations of things etc, then you can't cram it into a margin or between lines.

And intentionally leaving space for notes is hard to judge as some people write tomes of supporting material, some write hardly anything. Depends on how good your training material is in the first instance :)

Paul K
30-03-2005, 14:29
How many pages are you looking at creating? If it's more than say 50 pages long I would double side as the booklets become heavy/ cumbersome and hard to handle after that. If it's only a small booklet then I would do as suggested and leave "Intentionally Blank" pages for people to make notes in (or doodle, depending on how interesting it is ;) )
Also something to think of is how you are binding the material, if you are stapling then making sure you are orientating all the pages correctly so that they read well when opened is important as it can be annoying to keep having to turn booklets one way and then the other just because someone printed a diagram in landscape ;)

cookie_365
30-03-2005, 16:52
Generally speaking I'd prefer single sided for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Also, a lot of white space'll make your material much friendlier and easier to read.

Also, if you prepare stuff double sided, I can guarantee -from bitter experience, of course :dunce: - that sooner or later you'll need to run off some extra copies, and your learners won't be too impressed to discover they only have pages 1,3,5 .... cos you forget to press the right button on the copier ! ;)

If it's going to be fairly bulky should you maybe send copies out afterwards to save people lugging them around on the tube etc. ?

What kind of material are we talking about here?