PDA

View Full Version : Dixons Coverplan

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 11:38
Well, not strictly but anyway. At the end of January I bought a lovely Creative Zen Micro 5Gb mp3 player from above retailer, and "purchased" 3 years of their coverplan (didnt pay anything extra, they can be *very* flexible about their prices as long as they fill their quotas). anyhoo, said player stopped working yesterday. When i start it up, it makes a horrible grinding noise like the heads have crashed into the platters on the disk or something.

Tried all the various options in the rescue mode, and everything suggested on the Creative forums (apparently its not a unique problem). So, i'm thinking i should trek off to dixons, mp3 player in hand. Now, on their coverplan T&Cs it says that it will get sent off to creative to be repaired, as long as it takes less than six weeks. Otherwise, i get vouchers for an equivalent product or i get a "fully refurbished" product.

I'm loathed to trek into town on a miserable day like today to find out i have to wait 6 weeks for a replacement, is there any likely way they can be cajoled into just giving me the replacement product/vouchers? I'm sure it doesn't take creative 6 weeks to repair a hard drive, but still.... 6 weeks without music... :(

Nugget
30-03-2005, 11:45
Has your cover plan come into effect yet? If you bought it at the end of January, surely it's still covered by the 12 month manufacturers guarantee? As I understand it, your coverplan won't effectively kick in until the end of January last year (or, at least, that's what happened with my coverplan for the Sky box).

I'm could wrong but it's something to check :)

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 11:47
Has your cover plan come into effect yet? If you bought it at the end of January, surely it's still covered by the 12 month manufacturers guarantee? As I understand it, your coverplan won't effectively kick in until the end of January last year (or, at least, that's what happened with my coverplan for the Sky box).

yeah, it was january this year, so a couple of months ago. the mfr guarantee expires on 27/01/2006 according to the piece of paper i have here. what difference does the mfr guarantee make? :dunce:

Nugget
30-03-2005, 11:55
yeah, it was january this year, so a couple of months ago. the mfr guarantee expires on 27/01/2006 according to the piece of paper i have here. what difference does the mfr guarantee make? :dunce:

As far as I understand it, if it's properly burgered, you should just be able to take it back to Dixons and get it replaced, so it's probably worth giving them a ring to check. If it's broked after 2 months, then I would think that there is some arguement to say that it was faulty to start with (unless you've been throwing things out of the window again ;) )

Otherwise, can you try contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they suggest?

ian@huth
30-03-2005, 11:55
Best bet would be to telephone the store, tell them the problem and ask what your options are. Remind them that it is their responsibility for the product, not the manufacturers.

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 11:59
As far as I understand it, if it's properly burgered, you should just be able to take it back to Dixons and get it replaced, so it's probably worth giving them a ring to check. If it's broked after 2 months, then I would think that there is some arguement to say that it was faulty to start with (unless you've been throwing things out of the window again ;) )

Otherwise, can you try contacting the manufacturer and seeing what they suggest?

i dont throw things out the window all the time you know :p:. My gut feeling is that the hard drive is knackered... havent dropped it once though :) they best not try to tar me with this brush.... :sleep:

I've filled in a form on the creative website anyway, will see what they say before i waste £1.50 going to dixons. I never liked dixonsXL, too big... :erm:

etccarmageddon
30-03-2005, 12:04
remember this as well... once you hand it over to them and agree it's going off to repair it's then too late to argue you want a replacement or a refund. if you arent happy with what they offer then tell them you will think about it and come back shortly - then mull it over for a few mins. dont make a rush decision.

Chris
30-03-2005, 12:05
Best bet would be to telephone the store, tell them the problem and ask what your options are. Remind them that it is their responsibility for the product, not the manufacturers.

I wouldn't bother phoning them, just go straight down the store where other customers can overhear the complaint, thus improving the chances of a rapid resolution. ;)

Nug is right, this fault is not covered by the extended warranty because the product is still so new, it is covered by the original 12-month guarantee. In addition, it is almost brand new and I think you have a good case for claiming that the goods are not fit for their intended purpose as a result of a fault in manufacture and therefore, a refund should be yours - or a replacement. You don't have to accept credit notes or vouchers.

Give them a chance to sort it for you there and then, and if they don't look keen, ask them again, only somewhat louder. ;) ;) :D Make good use of the phrase 'The Sale of Goods Act (1979) (As Amended)'. And read this before you go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/consumerlaw/index2.shtml

HTH. :)

Nugget
30-03-2005, 12:24
<snip>Nug is right, this fault is not covered by the extended warranty because the product is still so new, it is covered by the original 12-month guarantee. In addition, it is almost brand new and I think you have a good case for claiming that the goods are not fit for their intended purpose as a result of a fault in manufacture and therefore, a refund should be yours - or a replacement. You don't have to accept credit notes or vouchers. <snip>

:wtf: :Sprint:

I'm not sure that I want to live in a world where I'm right - it's just seems icky :erm:

Oh well, I'm off to make more fish puns for Coggy :wavey:

ian@huth
30-03-2005, 12:46
The reason that I would phone them first is to get some indication of how they would handle the matter. If it was just "bring it back and we'll replace it" I would return it at my convenience but if that wasn't on offer I would make sure that I returned it at their busiest time and be very vocal with my demands. I would also push them for some compensation or freebies to make up for the hassle you are going through. :)

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 12:55
well, i just received probably the most polite email from creative ever... they are sending me a replacement mp3 player as soon as i send them a photocopy of my proof of purchase. anything that bypasses dixons is good for me :)

creative customer support :tu:

opening couple of lines of the email:

Dear David,

thanks for your mail.

I think you are right about the problem, we will have to send a replacement Zen Micro.

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 12:55
Ah be careful though, you coverplan does state it covers repair OR replacement at Dixons discretion and and Mp3 player is generally not fit for purpose if it breaks after 6 months. However they have a database of every product describing what to do if it's fault under what circumstances (Faulty stock, faulty within 28 days, faulty under coverplan etc). This depends on the repair channels Dixons have, Mp3 player are never repaired by Mastercare and normally are sent to the manufacturer, however some, like yours, I think are 'code 5' i.e swap in store and then send back to national returns. If you can hold out until saturday then I can check for you.

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 12:58
Ah be careful though, you coverplan does state it covers repair OR replacement at Dixons discretion and and Mp3 player is generally not fit for purpose if it breaks after 6 months. However they have a database of every product describing what to do if it's fault under what circumstances (Faulty stock, faulty within 28 days, faulty under coverplan etc). This depends on the repair channels Dixons have, Mp3 player are never repaired by Mastercare and normally are sent to the manufacturer, however some, like yours, I think are 'code 5' i.e swap in store and then send back to national returns. If you can hold out until saturday then I can check for you.

i can quite easily hold on until then, but... that's not an admission that you work for DSG is it? :eek::D:D

etccarmageddon
30-03-2005, 13:17
but if you send creative your proof of purchase photocopy theyll send you a new player free! why wait!

aliferste
30-03-2005, 13:22
but if you send creative your proof of purchase photocopy theyll send you a new player free! why wait!

and then take the old one back as well :)

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 13:26
cos they may swap it and want the borked one back.... we will see :angel:

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 13:27
Yes I do!:shocked: But luckily for me it's for one of their good stores. Creative are unlikely to just swap it, unless their warranty is 2 years? In a way you having a coverplan is a good thing. If the player only has a 12 month warranty and you'd bought it elsewhere, like Dabs.com or Overclockers, then you'd be stuffed, they wouldn't swap it. I'll check at work (or I can phone them if you can give me the product number and model), then if it code 5 you can have my name and march down to your store and get it replaced! (What store is it, I could check stock for you too!).

tabatha
30-03-2005, 13:27
Just a thought.....

If Creative change the product will the cover plan be void?
Do Dixons tie in a serial num to the cover plan?

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 13:29
No they don't and the coverplan won't be void if it's not used to swap the player.

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 13:36
nah the serial number is not tied to the coverplan, but creative have requested the serial, model and firmware number :) im thinking that when they deliver my new one, mr parcel man will take away the old one at the same time... similar to like what orange do with broken phones, etc...

its dixons XL in bullring, birmingham...

if it is still open... they were murmuring about closing it down not too long ago :erm:

the number on the receipt is 0000157851... im assuming this is the product number/POS code? its a crative zen micro 5gb white ;)

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 13:37
that's correct. They may also as for your credit/debit card number (like maxtor do when you use thier fast drive swap service), then if the get the broken one back and there's nothing wrong with it or it's malicously damaged they'll charge your card. So you're swapping straight with creative and don't need me to check anything?

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 13:40
well you can check if you really want ;) best to have all options open :p:. my conact at creative was someone called joep, im not entirely sure i'm dealing with anyone on this planet there, despite how friendly they are ;)

Neil
30-03-2005, 13:44
Under the revised Sale of Goods act, the onus in on the retailer (Dixons) in the 1st 6 months to prove that the fault was not there from new, & therefore that it is of merchantable quailty. ;)

Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.

danielf
30-03-2005, 13:46
I had a creative zen player which I bought at curry's. It developed a fault, (one horizontal line on the display wasn't working) within a month. It took it back about two months after I bought it, and they replaced it without a problem.

Nugget
30-03-2005, 13:48
<snip>Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.

That's what I thought when we got Sky (from Dixons), but the guy who served us explained it as the first year being covered by Dixons (the store) and the following 3 years being covered by the Coverplan.

However, I swear to God he was only about 13, so I made him go and get his manager, who confirmed it for me. Might be mean, but I didn't think that a pre-pubescent would know for sure! Oh well, if Dixons want to use child-labour, who am I to complain?

:D

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 14:37
Under the revised Sale of Goods act, the onus in on the retailer (Dixons) in the 1st 6 months to prove that the fault was not there from new, & therefore that it is of merchantable quailty. ;)

Also-re your extended warranty not 'kicking in' until Jan 2006-normally these warranties 'replace' the manufacturer's warranty & start from day 1.
Ah sorry, I misread the very first post! Of course take it back to a store and they will replace it for you as it's under initial warranty. And I've just checked, under the 1st 12 months it is a code 5 product that will be exchanged in store. Just take it back to a Dixons (according the the website the Dixons XL is still open) or call the number on the top of your receipt first to check stock availability in that store. After the 12 months then it will be repaired under the coverplan by Microgenetics. But at the moment you can just have a swap in store. Hope that clears things up!

Escapee
30-03-2005, 15:40
I rarely have much difficulty with stores, indeed I rarely have to return anything.

But Dixons....Grrrrrrrrrr, I have never bought anything from Dixons for the last 18 or so years. I once had a big slanging match after they refused to replace the second faulty item I had taken back the same day. Customers were very amused at me telling them what I thought about them, and their shoddy useless products.

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 15:43
it was pure chance i bought my mp3 player from dixons, at the time the player was at its original full price (£180 or thereabouts). i was going to buy it online, but the man at the counter seemed very interested in haggling, i got the player, some £30 sony headphones and the £60 worth of coverplan for £205. Obviously very interested in meeting his quota, im not complaining ;)

the one gripe i have though, is that the receipt says that "to return for full refund within 28 days with no fuss etc, return the product totally unopened" etc... yet before i had even paid for it, the man had opened the box and disposed of the cellophane in order to show me all the features of the product, before i could even open my mouth to protest... :erm:

Chris
30-03-2005, 15:50
the one gripe i have though, is that the receipt says that "to return for full refund within 28 days with no fuss etc, return the product totally unopened" etc... yet before i had even paid for it, the man had opened the box and disposed of the cellophane in order to show me all the features of the product, before i could even open my mouth to protest... :erm:

That is dodgy as hell. I bought my first ever mobile phone from Dixons, and the assistant opened the box at the counter to 'make sure everything was there' (this was long before the days anybody would register a new phone for you in-store).

When I got the thing home it was completely dead and had to get returned for a replacement. It was only then that I remembered that he didn't even have to break a seal to open the box. I have always believed that he sold me a returned item that he knew was faulty, just to get his commission. Opening the box for me, of course, prevented me getting it home and finding the seal tampered with.

In your case, opening the cellophane pretty much barred you from returning the thing under the no-quibble guarantee. A coincidence? I think not.

Dave Stones
30-03-2005, 15:54
yeah, didnt think anything of it at the time. i just noticed it as i was musing through the leaflet that they gave me, it specifically says it has to be unopened at all. they should have the same returns policy as my place of work, we only forbid returns for money in the 12 months of they are un-returnable/unsellable again... even then the amount of checks we have to go through are numerous. and even if they have been opened/whatever, the person gets vouchers anyway... :erm:

Strzelecki
30-03-2005, 18:07
hmm didn't know Dixons did that. The PC World I work at we just return anything that isn't faulty under 28 days, so long as the person hasn't totally destroyed the packaging, then we reserve the right to charge them 10% restocking fee. Faulty items we just swap straight away so long as all the parts are with it (box doesn't matter much, nothing a bit of bubble wrap can't handle!). There's a member on here who's returned stuff to our store and he said something along the lines of 'amazed how easy it was to return the item even though it was opened and used', it's because the people I work with know the rights, we're not trained to know them from the start, I just think a few DSG workers know what it's like and so like to know them, I certainly like to know my rights, both as a customer and from the business side, makes life easier for the customer and the employee dealing with the return in the end.

Nidge
30-03-2005, 19:24

You are right there mate if your manufactures guarantee is valid you are entitled to a straight swap there and then.

hmm didn't know Dixons did that. The PC World I work at we just return anything that isn't faulty under 28 days, so long as the person hasn't totally destroyed the packaging, then we reserve the right to charge them 10% restocking fee. Faulty items we just swap straight away so long as all the parts are with it (box doesn't matter much, nothing a bit of bubble wrap can't handle!). There's a member on here who's returned stuff to our store and he said something along the lines of 'amazed how easy it was to return the item even though it was opened and used', it's because the people I work with know the rights, we're not trained to know them from the start, I just think a few DSG workers know what it's like and so like to know them, I certainly like to know my rights, both as a customer and from the business side, makes life easier for the customer and the employee dealing with the return in the end.

I've took stuff back to Dixans/ PC world well after 28 days and got a straight swap.