PDA

View Full Version : ADSL and Servers

Matthew
30-03-2005, 00:27
The 18th of May sees broadband come to the village. Initially I will setup my current server to be accessed remotley so I can access it when out and about but in the end I want to setup an e-mail server on its own and I want to get a seperate line in so it can have its own internet connection so not slowing down the network already in how do I go about registering the server so people can send e-mail to it?

I have heard things about MX records that need updating, what are these?

Someone please advise me where to go. Thanks in advance.

zing_deleted
30-03-2005, 00:28
one day before star wars lol lol

MovedGoalPosts
30-03-2005, 01:19
To access your server remotely, you are probably going to use VPN, or an equuvalent of. That needs a fixed IP address, usually supplied as part of a business broadband package, rather than residential. There are ways of getting dynamic IP addys tracked.

MX records are usually maintained by an ISP. Basically they are the identity codes that decide where email will be sent to. For many email addys such as joeblogs @ isp.com the email is held at the ISPs server for the user to connect into. When you are runing your own email server, the MX records basically tell the world where the server is located so the ISP can forward the whole lot to the server. It is usually something that links to a domain name.

Richard M
30-03-2005, 07:25
...how do I go about registering the server so people can send e-mail to it?

There's no "registering" of the server you need to do to send email to it, yourname@IP.AD.DR.ESS or yourname@yourinternethostname would do the job temporarily but ideally you'd want to be using your own domain.
For that, you'd need to register one and then point the MX record to the static IP. You'd need to have full control over at least the A and MX records in DNS of your domain for this to work but several domain hosts allow this.

KingPhoenix
30-03-2005, 08:56
To be honest, if your here asking questions like "whats an MX record" i really dont think you should be trying to run an e-mail server..... With that being said, you need to host your DNS somewhere (theres plenty of places that will do this free, just do a google) in the DNS record you will have the ability to set your MX record. I would recommend running your server as a fully fledged web server, and point the A record to it too....

Do you have 2 telephone lines? i dont think its possible to run 2 adsl services on 1 line (but i stand to be corrected :D)

Richard M
30-03-2005, 08:57
Nor is there any point, even a standard 512/256 line is more than adequate.

Matthew
30-03-2005, 09:19
KingPhoenix I was looking at getting a second line installed so that I could have 2 ADSL lines.

With my ISP I can have a static IP address for no extra cost as a residential customer.

Thanks to all the others that have replied, I think I know what is what know and understand more about a MX record.

Richard M so I would be ok running it with the basic package I am getting (512) but aslong as there is a static IP I should be ok?

Richard M
30-03-2005, 09:28
KingPhoenix I was looking at getting a second line installed so that I could have 2 ADSL lines.

With my ISP I can have a static IP address for no extra cost as a residential customer.

Thanks to all the others that have replied, I think I know what is what know and understand more about a MX record.

Richard M so I would be ok running it with the basic package I am getting (512) but aslong as there is a static IP I should be ok?

Yep.
You see that image in my sig?
That's served up by a Celeron 600 webserver running on my 1024/256 DSL connection...