PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about French government?

Macca371
29-03-2005, 23:53
Hi there are a few questions that I need answering about French government for college and it's really difficult to find sites with the right information on them, I have been looking for ages now. I need answers to these questions, help would be greatly appreciated :)

Is the fifth republic a good system?

Is the government popular at the moment?

Is Chirac popular at the moment?

What kind of things has he done to become so popular/unpopular?

:confused: :confused:

Most websites are really bad at giving opinions, popularity advantages/disadvantages and stuff, they are only good for technical information.

Really wish I hadn't chosen this for my French oral topic, it's so boring :rolleyes:

paulyoung666
30-03-2005, 00:01
homework club again :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Gareth
30-03-2005, 00:04
OK, your questions are too subjective to be answered easily. I would check out some of the popular newspapers, such as Le Canard EnchaÃÃâ€*’®ne, as well as the more traditional ones, Le Monde, Figaro, etc...

How good is your French?

Raistlin
30-03-2005, 00:07
Hi Diamond,

I think that the problem that you are going to have here is that you are asking some very subjective questions. In other words, the answers to your questions are going to be based upon the subjective opinion of anybody that answers them.

That tends to be the case with this sort of exam topic, it is designed to test not only your understanding of the subject but your ability to form your own opinion based upon the evidence that you have researched.

Any answers that you are given to your questions can only be taken as the personal opinion of the person that voiced them, your best bet is to research the evidence and reach your own conclusions.

Sorry if that doesn't help you but that's just the way that I see it.....

paulyoung666
30-03-2005, 00:09
How good is your French?

even if it isnt any good , google does a good job of translating them for you ;)

edit -- sometimes :erm: :D :D :D

Hi Diamond,

I think that the problem that you are going to have here is that you are asking some very subjective questions. In other words, the answers to your questions are going to be based upon the subjective opinion of anybody that answers them.

That tends to be the case with this sort of exam topic, it is designed to test not only your understanding of the subject but your ability to form your own opinion based upon the evidence that you have researched.

Any answers that you are given to your questions can only be taken as the personal opinion of the person that voiced them, your best bet is to research the evidence and reach your own conclusions.

Sorry if that doesn't help you but that's just the way that I see it.....

same here i am afraid :(

Gareth
30-03-2005, 00:17
Of course, this does make it easier, in some respects, cause you can just say things like 'there are people who believe that...', or 'some people are of the opinion that...', or even 'a proportion of the population feel that...' and then just make up whatever you feel like saying.

The great thing about subjective discussions are there are no rights and wrongs, cause it's all subjective :D

Oh, and for some topical stuff about Chirac, have a quick read of this (in Engrish)... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/03/21/wfran21.xml

Earl of Bronze
30-03-2005, 00:25
The French are *garlic munching, nazi collaborating barstewards*. ;)

Just my opinion mind. ;) :angel:

danielf
30-03-2005, 00:30
The French are *garlic munching, nazi collaborating barstewards*. ;)

Just my opinion mind. ;) :angel:

As long as the bar is manned, I don't care really ;)

Macca371
30-03-2005, 00:57
Yeah I guess you're all right, it is an opinion, but I totally don't have one about it because I'm not French and don't keep up to date with French politics etc, I just thought that I could get general opinions of people in France or people who do or know about the system to give an opinion on it.
Thanks a lot for the site Graham :tu: it is useful.

I've been reading a lot about the fifth republic and totally cannot think of any advantages/disadvantages because I cannot find a site with any analysis of the system in operation either.

I suppose I could go in a French forum and ask what they think about the government?

Damien
30-03-2005, 07:15
The french are about 50-50 on their goverment. Chriac has is about 50-50 but their prime minister is very unpopular. He is from the right, the same as chriac so he simply does what chriac says unlike jospin the previous prime minister who was from the left and didnt always listain to chriac

My granddads french and i was walking to him about their goverment the other day.

Gogogo
30-03-2005, 07:50
Hi there are a few questions that I need answering about French government for college and it's really difficult to find sites with the right information on them, I have been looking for ages now. I need answers to these questions, help would be greatly appreciated :)

Is the fifth republic a good system?

Is the government popular at the moment?

Is Chirac popular at the moment?

What kind of things has he done to become so popular/unpopular?

:confused: :confused:

Most websites are really bad at giving opinions, popularity advantages/disadvantages and stuff, they are only good for technical information.

Really wish I hadn't chosen this for my French oral topic, it's so boring :rolleyes:

Actually part of the answer to the first question is considering the failure of the Fourth Republic, a new government every six months, well not quite but the problem was instability, De Gaulle and his new Fifth Republic brought stability a strong executive president elected every seven years. This form in the Fifth Republic has survived since 1958? Therefore successful.

But clearly you need a weekend in Calais speak to some real Fench citizens on their feelings for your answers.

:D

allieyoung666
30-03-2005, 08:01
Dont forget to do a bilography as to were you have got the infomation from, as they will mark you down on that. Also when you are putting phrases in you need to say : well according to....... and then when you have done that always find an article that will counter balance the quote by saying: but so so says this ............... I hope this helps

paulyoung666
30-03-2005, 10:50
not dissing you my mate , but why the hell have you taken something on that you know **** all about , me very :confused: , i assume it is too late to change your mind is it ?????? :)

marina
30-03-2005, 11:33
Yeah I guess you're all right, it is an opinion, but I totally don't have one about it because I'm not French and don't keep up to date with French politics etc, I just thought that I could get general opinions of people in France or people who do or know about the system to give an opinion on it.
Thanks a lot for the site Graham :tu: it is useful.

I've been reading a lot about the fifth republic and totally cannot think of any advantages/disadvantages because I cannot find a site with any analysis of the system in operation either.

I suppose I could go in a French forum and ask what they think about the government?

Diamond...... just a thought but..... does it only have to be the viewpoint of french nationals or will your answers cover that of the rest of europe and the world? The questions you've posted don't specify so am wondering.
Given our recent political history and events where france played a pivotal part, the fifth republic is a international player and opinions have been coloured by those events and choices :shrug:

And i'm NOT talking about the rugby either ;)

Macca371
30-03-2005, 16:05
Thanks for the help everyone :tu: :)

Damien
30-03-2005, 16:11
Theres a vote in may about the EU consitiuation which is 50-50. This is because of a sticking point that they will have the accept forigen workers from within the EU and the french dont want this.

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 16:24

I held off replying here, since I thought you ought to do your own homework! ;)

I was also going to suggest you check out French language WWW sites - assuming your French was up to it, but I decided that if it wasn't, then you shouldn't even be asked the question, never mind trying to answer it.

From my (VERY) brief research on this topic, I found stuff like:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fr-fiftr.html

and

http://www.france.diplomatie.fr/label_france/ENGLISH/DOSSIER/INSTITU/presi2.html

Which might help some.

Although I find most references to Fifth Republic tend to state it as a matter of fact - not much discussion on dis/advantages, and mostly in reference to France (although Venezuela crops up here & there.)

So, there you are. No answers, but maybe some food for thought.

(And http://www.conseil-constitutionnel.fr/textes/c1958web.htm or http://www.lv.psu.edu/wxg2/cinqrep.html if your French is up to it :) I used http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=france+cinquieme+republique to find these.)

Macca371
30-03-2005, 16:29
I held off replying here, since I thought you ought to do your own homework! ;)

lol don't worry about that, once I have wrote this thing I have to translate it into French which is the real important thing

I was also going to suggest you check out French language WWW sites - assuming your French was up to it, but I decided that if it wasn't, then you shouldn't even be asked the question, never mind trying to answer it.

From my (VERY) brief research on this topic, I found stuff like:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/fr-fiftr.html

and

http://www.france.diplomatie.fr/label_france/ENGLISH/DOSSIER/INSTITU/presi2.html

Which might help some.

Although I find most references to Fifth Republic tend to state it as a matter of fact - not much discussion on dis/advantages, and mostly in reference to France (although Venezuela crops up here & there.)

So, there you are. No answers, but maybe some food for thought.

(And http://www.conseil-constitutionnel.fr/textes/c1958web.htm if your French is up to it :))

Tyvm :tu:

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 16:30
Tyvm :tu:

C'est rien.