PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder router help...please

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:19
I am having major grief with my wireless connection - telewest have just admitted to me that their netgear kit is not compatable with my IBM thinkpad (XP and celeron), so I went out and bought another router, a D- Link one - this too does not work (something i think to do with the ip address it assigns) so i am going to return the d-link one and get another one (hopefully one that works, this time). can anyone recommend a wireless router that works effortlessly with telewest blueyonder.
thanks.

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 11:27
hi and :welcome: to the site , i would be surprised if it did not work , dont take this the wrong way but are you sure it is set up right , sorry i am not a networking guru :( , but plenty of ppl on here are :)

danielf
29-03-2005, 11:30
I've got no problems with my Linksys wireless router on Blueyonder, but I'm with Paul. It may be better to make sure the one you have now is set up properly.

It's usually a good idea to first try and set the thing up using a wired connection, and only start playing around with the wifi once that's working.

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:33
thank you.

i and 2 other people (both very tech savvy) have tried everything and yet nothing. i know that my blueyonder is working as i get a connection if i plug my ibm straight into the stb. i also know that i am getting a wireless connection from the d-link to the laptop as i can an excellent signal strength, plus the it states that it can see the dlink, oh and i can access the dink set up from my laptop. for some reason the dlink will not pass the web connection on to my ibm. stumped.

telewest did say they think it could be becasue they have dynamic ip addys but the dlink is assigning a fixed one?

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 11:37
i might be wrong but dynamic i.p.'s wouldnt make any difference to the router , as long as it passes a static i.p. then all should be ok , have you tried the router on a different connection to see what happens :)

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:40
same problem - nothing is passed on. no web access. :(

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 11:42
could be a tough one to slove on here :( , have you tried the router manufacturers website for help ??? :)

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:44
oh yes and spoke to their support - no idea, none at all. would the fact that this dlink router is adsl be causing problems?

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 11:44
have you registered the MAC address of the router on the TW network, or spoofed/copied the MAC address of the laptop to the Router. IMHO that is what the problem is here. The router is not recognised as a piece of kit on the TW network as it has never been registered to the network.
This would be the problem in the NTL network world and as the TW one works on similar technology I imagine the same problems arise.
While logged on to the router with the laptop you should be able to tell the router to copy the mac address of the PC. Do this save the change - also make this a wide open insecure network broadcasting the SSID - this is easy to connect to - once it is all working you apply security; powerdown everything and then power up 30 seconds later - Set top Box (wait untill fully operational - couple of minutes), then router, then PC.
Should be in action.

I've never heard of a router not working with a network. There was one that was being kicked off networks due to a fault in its firmware resulting in it requesting a new IP lease every 30 seconds and flooding the network with such requests, but thats all I can think of.

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 11:46
oh yes and spoke to their support - no idea, none at all. would the fact that this dlink router is adsl be causing problems?

just slightly :dozey: :D :D :D

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 11:47
Yes - most likely - unless you can switch some functionality off.
DSL uses a different authentication PPOa vs PPOe (or vice versa). It also requires a user ID and password as DSL is a dialup kinda service.
NTL (and probably telewest) is just a great big WAN and hardware is registered to the network to gain permission to use it. Unless you can switch the log on method then you can probably only use it as a wireless access point - not a router.

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:50
;) i take it i am a dumb ass then ? PC world ( i know, never trust them) said it should be fine. :shrug:

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 11:53
;) i take it i am a dumb ass then ? PC world ( i know, never trust them) said it should be fine. :shrug:
At least you can return it for a full refund.
If they get shirty tell them it is not fit for the purpose it was bought for and that purpose (connecting to the Telewest cable network) was clearly advised to them at the time of purchase.
Then go buy a Linksys WRT54G.

paulscott
29-03-2005, 11:56
thanks. i shall get the linksys one. :)

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 13:00
let us know how you get on :tu: :)

paulscott
01-04-2005, 12:00
thanks for your help and advice. i took the dlink one back, argued a lot and won.:) got home and my linksys one was siting there. opened it, set it up, online and wireless within 5 minutes. very pleased. :) :tu: :D

SMHarman
01-04-2005, 12:11
Have you secured it?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

paulscott
01-04-2005, 12:27
i didnt have time last night but will do as soon as i return today. is it straight forward to do?

read the article, thanks, very good info. i shall do it later.

SMHarman
01-04-2005, 12:36
Fairly, though I would recommend doing it through a wired connection. Also change the router access password, write it on a sticker and stick it to the router, that way you will not forget it and need to reset the router to add something to the MAC list (and set everything else up again :mad: )

paulyoung666
01-04-2005, 12:37
Fairly, though I would recommend doing it through a wired connection. Also change the router access password, write it on a sticker and stick it to the router, that way you will not forget it and need to reset the router to add something to the MAC list (and set everything else up again :mad: )

thats not from experience is it :disturbd: :D :D :D

SMHarman
01-04-2005, 13:40
thats not from experience is it :disturbd: :D :D :D
Absolutely - the apple AirPortExpress will not cope is a - or a _ in the network name (forget which) so I had to rename the network.

Of course after the reboot I had to change the PSK on everything as I could not remember what the original one was either.

A great experience

snhughes
09-02-2006, 00:56
Hello.
I just want to leave a feedback.
I have the Telewest broadband (Blueyonder) with a Motorola SurfBoard Modem and I just bought a NetGear Router.
I was having the same problem. I manage to use the internet when connecting the cable directly into the computer and the connection to the router was fine (I could ping and access the Setup Painel, but when trying to use both I just couldnt get a connection. :td:
I tried the advice of making the router use the computer's MAC address and it worked.:Yikes:

;)

and some of these smilies are funny.:eeek: