PDA

View Full Version : Decision Made, New Start Ahead.

Earl of Bronze
28-03-2005, 23:51
Well, after many hours of thinking about what I'm gonna do to restart my life, I have decided to have a crack at the CompTIA A+ certification.

Originally I had thought about studying for the new (ish) Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician certification. I suppose the real sticking point with this certification was the cost. I have been in contact with NITLC, and they charge £2850 all in for the MCDST, and I dont have that sort of money at the moment. Where as the A+ is only gonna cost £199 + vat, and to be honest, its a better place for me to start. While I want to get back to studying for a job in IT, I know my head is'nt on 100% straight even now.

So.....

If anyone on here has studied for the A+ certification, and has any hints/tips, please feel free to impart your knowlage.

Brian.

timewarrior2001
28-03-2005, 23:56
Its good that your studying, I'm about to re-start.

I already have city and guilds advanced diploma in networking, and I want to start the Desktop technician qualification, also because it will give me MCP too.

A word of warning though, do not expect to get an IT job on the strength of your courses qualification. The only place likely to employ you with that is a call centre.

I would also like to point out that the IT industry is pretty stagnant at the minute. Unless you a programmer, an analyst or a seriously qualified andf I mean Cisco certified network engineer there isnt much about.

I currently work for EDS, and its call centre based and its sole destroying, especially so because until my 3 year absense I had worked as a network admin, now I do 1st line catch and dispatch.

When thats all said and done, dont be disgruntled, work your way towards MCSE if that what you want, personally I'd opt for the cisco route. Get into Networking, apply for field engineer jobs and keep in the back of your mind, until you get a certification not many places will touch you.

Earl of Bronze
29-03-2005, 00:07
The way I look at the certification at the moment is in the hope it will give me more saleability (is that even a word?), when it comes to sending of my CV to potential employers.

On the Cisco side of things, I was into the second symester of the CCNA when I was in the car accident Feburary last year. When I got out of hospital, and back to class I managed (with the help of Andy E and the tutor) to scrape a pass for the second symester finals. After that I went to bits and have only managed in the last couple of months to get my head out of my arse. I do intend to go back and restudy for the CCNA certification, but I know that right now I just dont have my head together enough to pass the end of symester exams, never mind the certification exam. I will go back to it, but I'm just not ready yet for the level of commitment and concentration needed for thr CCNA, or a MCSE for that matter.

Millay
29-03-2005, 00:13
Good for you I plan to do my A+ certification soon at my local colege...

I have not studied since i ewas 16 so feel that easing myselfr back into it would be a good idea. let us know hoow it goes..

Raistlin
29-03-2005, 00:19
What's an A+ certification?

Hmmmm.....

<starts Googling>

And how did you find it for £199+va t? Just found it for £1450!!

Earl of Bronze
29-03-2005, 00:56
And how did you find it for £199+va t? Just found it for £1450!!

I followed a link of This Forum (http://www.certforums.co.uk/) but cant find the link at the moment. I really should have saved it to favourites, but didnt. :dunce:

It was there, honest. :angel:

Millay
29-03-2005, 00:57
that is very cheap my college do it for about that price pluse exams... //

www.highbury.ac.uk

Richard M
29-03-2005, 01:00
Good luck EOB, I'm doing the OCR Level 3 & CompTIA Network+ at the moment, it's really easy but there are a lot of assignments! :)
If you ever need any help with the course, just ask.

Earl of Bronze
29-03-2005, 01:28
Good luck EOB, I'm doing the OCR Level 3 & CompTIA Network+ at the moment, it's really easy but there are a lot of assignments! :)
If you ever need any help with the course, just ask.

Thanks Richard, I'll prolly have to take you up on that offer I'm sure. :dozey:

@ Raistlin : got the link mate, you can find it Here (http://www.e-careers.co.uk/) .

Edit : sorry folks, thats the homepage for e-careers, the vendor.

This (http://www.e-careers.co.uk/online/ansplus.htm) is the CompTIA page. :dunce:

geminian68
29-03-2005, 01:46
Hi Raistlin

CompTIA A+ - Entry-Level Computer Service
Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA)
take a look here
http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx (%0Ahttp://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx)

Earl of Bronze

I have several qualifications in both Electronics and IT incl. being CompTIA A+ Certified, and while I was studying found this site very useful.
http://www.freecomptia.com/

There is no reason why you can't home study, and then just pay for the exams.

There are a plethora of books out there, as well as many sites that have
Free online study guides like the one above. :)

Raistlin
29-03-2005, 02:07
I take it that the exams aren't included in these prices?

Any ideas how much they are likely to be?

geminian68
29-03-2005, 02:15

Where I did my course £90 each: Hardware/OS

Raistlin
29-03-2005, 02:31
Where I did my course £90 each: Hardware/OS

Thanks for that.

Cool :D Just realised that I have now "entered a golden reputation era".....

Sorry, OT I know but hey <shrugs> you've either got it or you don't :D

geminian68
29-03-2005, 13:29

Hi Raistlin

I suspose it depend's which College, and whether they are EU funded, because in Derby there are College's, which charge for both the course and the exams, and those that charge one fee for the course with the exams included.

The College I went to was EU funded, and charged one fee for the course with the exams included, but they also did exams for people who weren't studying there, and the charge was £90 each exam:Hardware/OS when I did the course 13Months ago. :)

geminian68

Earl of Bronze
01-04-2005, 02:24

According to the Thompson Prometric website, your local prometric test center in Britain will charge £100 per exam. The same test centers are usually Microsoft Training Partners as well, so if you want you can use them for MS certifications as well.

HTH.

skyblueheroes
01-04-2005, 07:20
I'm doing MCDST atm. I just got my employer to buy the two MS books (£26 notes each) and am slowly going through it.

TBH its not that difficult. Someone with a basic grasp of IT can read the book and probably use the software to help pass.