PDA

View Full Version : Powercuts

MadGamer
28-03-2005, 22:54
Just had one and infact the whole of our road went out. My house alarm went off, everything. Little spots in front of my eyes when the lights went off.

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 23:01
extremely weird aint it :disturbd: , i have only seen 1 powercut here , and then only some houses went out , it depended which phase of the supply you are on :erm: :D :D

Electrolyte01
28-03-2005, 23:02
Luckily I have my MagLite near me, always handy to have a torch with you! :D

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 23:06
Luckily I have my MagLite near me, always handy to have a torch with you! :D

bet you were a scout as well :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Stuart
28-03-2005, 23:12
Haven't had a powercut in years. I know where I can get hold of two torches (one of which is charged by vigourous shaking) and a whole bag of candles though, so should be sorted if one occurs.

Macca371
28-03-2005, 23:16
I've never been in a power cut in my life, would love to be though, sounds quite exciting for some reason. :D

Marge
28-03-2005, 23:19
At the risk of sounding a right old biddy I vaguely remember the powercuts in the 70's :erm:

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 23:19
I've never been in a power cut in my life, would love to be though, sounds quite exciting for some reason. :D

its weird to say the least , you dont appreciate how much you rely on electricity until its not there :Yikes: :D :D

kronas
28-03-2005, 23:21
At the risk of sounding a right old biddy I vaguely remember the powercuts in the 70's :erm:

*shows her age ;)

we had a few around here about two years ago, i can remember yorkshire electricity being bought by Npower at that point, im glad they have kept an eye on things ever since :erm:

its weird to say the least , you dont appreciate how much you rely on electricity until its not there :Yikes: :D :D

tell me about it, i had no life for about 4 hours and then a 7 hour outage :erm: :shocked: :Yikes: :disturbd:

ian@huth
28-03-2005, 23:28
its weird to say the least , you dont appreciate how much you rely on electricity until its not there :Yikes: :D :DSo true. It's amazing that the first thing many people do when there is a power cut is to decide to have a cuppa, fill the kettle, switch it on and then realise it won't work. :D

Caspar
28-03-2005, 23:32
We've got dody electrics...that overheat in the summer!.... see you at Xmas! :( :D

...p.s we have gas so no probs have a cuppa! :D

paulyoung666
the only time it happened to me , i was looking after the little one , of course what happened , as soon as the power went out he wanted a warm bottle of milk , no microwave to warm it , no kettle to boil water , so it was a pan of water on the gas hob , good job it was gas though :erm: :D :D :D

Millay
Powercuts since the big sotmrwes reall ydont happen llike they used to, mainly because the network had so much done to it following 87.. Well thats what I reckon and im sticking to it. I hate power cuts, we have one a couple of times a week, when one of my houemates forgetw to put money on the key...

danielf
28-03-2005, 23:38
We had one the other week. It was a really weird one as well. First, the lights started burning at what seemed a quarter of their normal strength, the tube light in the kitchen wouldn't start, but my internet still worked. After about half an hour, lights went even dimmer, the internet stopped, and half an hour later, we had a complete blackout. Alarms in the street were going off, as they were when power came back on again.

It was eary walking through the house with 60watt bulbs giving the amount of light you'd expect from a 10 watt bulb...

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 23:40
that will have been 'brown outs' before the blackout :erm: :erm: :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
28-03-2005, 23:49
Haven't had to suffer a "proper" power cut in years. Luckily, all the ones I've had here in Camb have been very brief ones, not even worth of being a "power cut".

I do remember having quite a few when I was a kid, though. Very annoying.

Electrolyte01
29-03-2005, 00:52
bet you were a scout as well :rolleyes: :D :D :D
You should be lucky that I havn't slapped you for that comment yet! :mad: :D :D :D

danielf
29-03-2005, 00:57

It's not funny when you need to be up early in the morning for something important and you realise you've not changed that 9 volt backup battery in your alarm clock for years...

bb31
29-03-2005, 00:58
got some candles in the living room if i need them, but what about the internet :yikes: life without a pc ohhhh nooooooooo

Gareth
29-03-2005, 01:02
Not had them for a while in the UK, but living in the South of France they were a very regular occurance. The last biggie I remember just before we left was intentionally done by Electricite de France... there was a forest fire in the area we lived in, but for the Canadairs to be able to safely drop their load of water, you have to ensure all the pylons have been switched off :D

If the fires take a couple of days to be put out properly, then you can go for a very long time with no electricity :( But it's preferable to your house and all your belongings burning down :D

MikeyB
29-03-2005, 06:23
We had two power cuts here last week (or was it the week before)
1st one must have been about 3 hours, second one only about 2 mins.

Used to get a power cut if ever there was a thunder storm very very close, quite often there would be a bright flash of lightning very closely followed by a loud clap of thunder, then the power gone, tad annoying.

jrhnewark
29-03-2005, 07:28
Haven't had any here, but had them in other places we've lived. :(

poolking
29-03-2005, 07:41
I'd start getting used to them, soon they'll be triggered on purpose as the demand gets too great for the National Grid to cope.

zoombini
29-03-2005, 08:28
I have not had one for a while, but I can always get my hand on a torch or 3.
I keep one of those LED lights on my keyring & yes I am a scout :D

Although some of us might have gas hobs, they are most often lit by an electric piezo so unless we happen to have a lighter/matches we can't make a pot of tea :( (I can just rub a few stick together though).

Dave Stones
29-03-2005, 09:53
I'd start getting used to them, soon they'll be triggered on purpose as the demand gets too great for the National Grid to cope.

wasn't that what they did in the 70s, rolling blackouts? would be a tad annoying, but hey i have a monster sized maglite and a gas cooker, id just read away and go to bed early :)

an electric piezo so unless we happen to have a lighter/matches we can't make a pot of tea :( (I can just rub a few stick together though).

i have a clicky thing that makes sparks, cost me £4 and has a 10 year guarantee that it makes sparks... no batteries or anything, just a couple of pieces of metal. if all else fails im sure you could source some fools gold/flint :erm:

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 09:54
We get regular power cuts - well more flickers than cuts, the power goes out for 2-3 minutes tops.

It did this a few nights ago at 3am. We woke with a start as we could hear everything in the office powering back up. CM, Router, Scanner, Two PCs, Screen, 2 laser printers etc. That was loud.

Graham M
29-03-2005, 09:54
My boss had the day off last Wednesday at work so I manned the ship for the day, power went off @ about 13:50 and came back about 14:30. My arms got pretty tanned that afternoon :)

Escapee
29-03-2005, 10:00
Power cuts are regular here. :mad:

I came back home yesterday afternoon and the power was off again, it lasted for about an hour. I live right close to town, and one of the guys I work with lives right out in the sticks and he laughs when I tell him how often the power to the whole street is off.

I spent about seven months working from home, and was amazed at how often the power was off. I remember back in the late 90's when working for ntl, we had power outages as part of the criteria for our bonus payments. We always did badly in South Wales because the provider was the worst in the country.

Theodoric
29-03-2005, 21:52
Ah, yes; the miners' strike, the 3 day week, the "Who governs Britain?" election. We had a fair bit of paraffin wax at work, so we cast it as candles with lengths of string for wicks.

EDIT And if you remember that far back, you may remember the national sugar shortage which was around the same time.

Maggy
29-03-2005, 22:14
Power cuts.Winter of discontent.London Smog.

Nah! I'm too young.... ;)

Escapee
30-03-2005, 08:04
I was late for work this morning!

Power cut alarm didn't go off :o .........One Monday and now one Wednesday, if it wasn't for the cat waking me I would still be there now.

allieyoung666
30-03-2005, 08:10
We had a short one while we were at work, but it seemed weird because we went outside and all we could hear was the birds!!!! It was if the world had stopped, even the hospital was quiet. I do not like power cuts they are to freaky. Do you think the goverment is trying to tell us something??