PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network won't work with SSID switched off

Raistlin
26-03-2005, 17:24
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to turn off the SSID broadcast on my wireless router, everything works ok until I reboot the laptop and then it can't find the wireless connection until I re-enable the SSID broadcast.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (as per my signature), anybody else come across this problem?

jtwn
26-03-2005, 17:48
Yes, a laptop in my house has that same problem, but the other two computers don't :(

darren
26-03-2005, 18:17
I'm using a DI-614+ and also have the same problem under XP, but not using D-Links tools under older OSs. I don't like leaving it turned on but I've no choice

KingPhoenix
26-03-2005, 18:21
I dont see the need to hide the ssid..... dont you use WEP and MAC filtering??? if someone can get past both of those, there welcome to use my wireless connection

Matth
26-03-2005, 19:31
Some combinations just don't seem to handle it - I presume the client has the SSID - it may help to set it for the adapter, possibly to turn off the windows wizard mode altogether and apply all settings manually.

Apart from that, use a non-inviting, non-tempting SSID (the router name is not a great idea, as I now know that someone close to me has a belkin54g router), and apply WEP and MAC access control.

At least broadcasting SSID may help others to co-operate in channel allocation.

OldGeezer
27-03-2005, 11:59
I leave on SSID broadcast on purpose.

As KingPhoenix and Matth say, if you're encrypted and have MAC access control on you're safe from intrusion, and by broadcasting SSID you're effectively notifying your neighbourhood of which channel you're using, so hopefully others will avoid it.

Tricky
27-03-2005, 14:11
I have the same router and find exactly the same problem, to repeat just ensure that you have WEP and MAC address filtering on...Some of the "hacked" firmwares (I.e. Ones that enable SNMP etc) seem to fair better with it turned off but I am on the standard one at present...

Aragorn
27-03-2005, 20:48
I have a similar problem with one of my systems.

I have the old Linksys WirelessB router and the built-in adapter on my Compaq laptop. This works fine with a hidden SSID. However, my new 'el cheapo' AMD wireless card will not connect to the hidden SSID what ever I try.

I've given up and gone back to just WEP and MAC filtering. Works for me - just like KP, Matth et al have said.

Raistlin
28-03-2005, 11:03
Ok guys, thanks.

I've got MAC filtering and WEP set up anyway, just wanted to keep things hidden.

NVM, cheers.

Raistlin
28-03-2005, 17:04
On a slightly different note, I'm going to be "touring" with my laptop for a few days next week and will probably want to connect it to the public access wireless network in a couple of places I will be staying.

I have ZA enabled on the laptop. Will this be sufficient for protecting the laptop while it's connecting to other access points? Also, because I've got a home network of a ocuple of machines I have file & printer sharing enabled for the wireless device in the laptop, should I unbind this from the TCP/IP connection before I go away? Will this be sufficiant to stop other people being able to see the shared drives/resources on the laptop?

Cheers.

TigaSefi
28-03-2005, 17:22
And another note is just brought a new linksys wireless as the bloke in the first post got and are these USB 2.0 wireless adapters up to the job for desktop pc's ? I dont fancy fishing out £50 per pci desktop wireless whatnots.

Raistlin
28-03-2005, 17:43
£50?

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=linksys+pci

TigaSefi
28-03-2005, 17:56
£50?

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=linksys+pci

Indeed, it at amazon for £33 free delivery so I got that there plus a usb 2.0 G adapter too. Just to test the water like. I just need one more for my Xbox but linksys got a dedicated gaming one.

KingPhoenix
28-03-2005, 18:06
Indeed, it at amazon for £33 free delivery so I got that there plus a usb 2.0 G adapter too. Just to test the water like. I just need one more for my Xbox but linksys got a dedicated gaming one.

Dont buy it!

Buy the Linksys wireless bridge.... not their gaming adapter ;)

TigaSefi
28-03-2005, 18:07
ok ok :) I just spent £150 on the initial wireless setup so I was gonna wait a week or so, so the bridge is what ?

KingPhoenix
28-03-2005, 18:20
it will connect any ethernet device to a wireless network

http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=545