PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 2mb service

nordic
26-03-2005, 14:17
Ever snice NTL upgraded thier speeds I have tried to get the 2mb service.

Everything was fine for 2 days then lost connection. Well 4 engineer visits later and 4 modem changes later still have no 2mb service. Have been told a number of excuses as to why no connection at 2mb. Am currently on the 1mb service but am being charged for the 2mb service.
This issue has been ongoing now for nearly 2 weeks with no sign of it being resolved. Now I cannot even access the online upgrade service.
Is it just me or is anyone else having the same problem. Everytime I have tried to upgrade to 2mb I lose all connection, hence all the modem changes ( NTL say its a modem fault) Have the Home 200 now.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem...The 1mb service is very sluggish at the best of times, 50% of the time barely reaches a 500k level of sevice.
All I require is an honest answer instead of false excuses.

jrhnewark
27-03-2005, 02:19
Firstly, goto http://192.168.100.1/P_downstream - that should tell you your signal levels, if you could post those back to us (you'll have to reset the cable modem first, and enter root and root for the username and password).

Apart from that (if the signal levels are low), there isn't much else - NTL are disgraceful to be doing this. One thing to check are the connections between the cable modem and the 'in' coax cable (make sure it's screwed in tight), and make sure the other end of the cable is screwed into the white isolation box tightly. :(

th'engineer
27-03-2005, 09:22
Ever snice NTL upgraded thier speeds I have tried to get the 2mb service.

Everything was fine for 2 days then lost connection. Well 4 engineer visits later and 4 modem changes later still have no 2mb service. Have been told a number of excuses as to why no connection at 2mb. Am currently on the 1mb service but am being charged for the 2mb service.
This issue has been ongoing now for nearly 2 weeks with no sign of it being resolved. Now I cannot even access the online upgrade service.
Is it just me or is anyone else having the same problem. Everytime I have tried to upgrade to 2mb I lose all connection, hence all the modem changes ( NTL say its a modem fault) Have the Home 200 now.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem...The 1mb service is very sluggish at the best of times, 50% of the time barely reaches a 500k level of sevice.
All I require is an honest answer instead of false excuses.

your not the only one http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25571

chienmort
27-03-2005, 11:23
Firstly, goto http://192.168.100.1/P_downstream :(

Is this an interogation of the Modem/STB? Can it be done with a router inserted?

paulyoung666
27-03-2005, 11:26
hi and :welcome: to the site nordic , are you using usb ???????? :)

jrhnewark
27-03-2005, 11:29
Hi chienmort

That'll only work with an NTL branded cable modem, and not if a router is being used.

The system is slightly different for an STB, using the TV. :)

BBKing
27-03-2005, 11:47
Not a modem fault after three modem swaps, I reckon. Any chance of having the MAC address of the current modem (on the bottom, 12-characters along the lines of 00:02:8A:12:34:56)?

ian@huth
27-03-2005, 12:16
Hi chienmort

That'll only work with an NTL branded cable modem, and not if a router is being used.

The system is slightly different for an STB, using the TV. :)The correct link is http://192.168.100.1/ and will work through a router. Make sure that you haven't got a specific proxy specified or if you have one set ensure that you have included the cable modem address in the proxy exclusion list.

2||Para
27-03-2005, 15:58
Been on 3MB line since Thursday here,Spoke to Cambridge CS as my connection is terrible,drops out for no reason.MSN signs in and out,internet pages take forever to load [if at all] as for p2p sharing forget it.

Cambridge CS at 1st denied any problem existed then after a 30 minute discussion with me refusing to be fobbed off,i got the answer."There is a issue with the cfg files for modem on the new speeds"

Was fine on the 1.5mb line then got the upgrade and it all went pear-shaped.