PDA

View Full Version : ethernet cable conflict?

goonerooni
26-03-2005, 10:04
hello one and all... sorry if this has been discussed before, but i got a strange problem... i was running windows "me" with a terayon tj210 external modem without any problems.

cos of the system i got a new motherboard and a faster processor and installed windows xp to give this set up a much needed overhaul.

everything went ok during the installation but just couldnt get online with xp installed with this terayon tj210 modem.

after vigourously checking my usb ports (which all work ok) i checked my computer out to see what was what and found i had an ethernet connecter on this computer, SO, i unplugged my modem from the usb port, bought myself and ethernet lead so to get online, but to my dismay, the modem got online alright the "data" light flickering away like a good 'un but the ethernet lead seemed to knock the drivers out for the monitor, keyboard and optical mouse... the system went toally dead. i took the ethernet lead OUT and put the usb back IN and re-booted the system, but the modem mouse and keyboard seem to be dead as a dodo. i wouldnt have thought my motherboard is blown cos the modem itself illumiates, as does the controller thing on my audigy sound setup device.

sorry if the above sounds like a total load of nonsence, but before having the engineer round and relieving me of a hundred quid or two, you are my last hope!

Earwig
26-03-2005, 11:18
I would not have thought that the motherboard has blown as you do at least get some kind of a boot.

1. Can you get into the Bios on your motherboard?
2. During the boot up sequence how far does it get?

The strange thing is that your Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse will already have their drivers within Windows (Xp is it??) and do not need any additional drivers to work....They may work better with drivers supplied but are not needed just to get them working. I take it these periperhals are all USB connections also?

The first thing I would suggest would be to unplug the PC from themains and CHECK all connections inside. Most new motherboards have EXTRA USB connections that you need to wire correctly to contacts on the board, maybe these have come loose or fallen off?

Once all connections have been verified as Ok we can start to look at other things......

Oh and :welcome: ;-)

goonerooni
26-03-2005, 14:13
I would not have thought that the motherboard has blown as you do at least get some kind of a boot.

1. Can you get into the Bios on your motherboard?
2. During the boot up sequence how far does it get?

The strange thing is that your Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse will already have their drivers within Windows (Xp is it??) and do not need any additional drivers to work....They may work better with drivers supplied but are not needed just to get them working. I take it these periperhals are all USB connections also?

The first thing I would suggest would be to unplug the PC from themains and CHECK all connections inside. Most new motherboards have EXTRA USB connections that you need to wire correctly to contacts on the board, maybe these have come loose or fallen off?

Once all connections have been verified as Ok we can start to look at other things......

Oh and :welcome: ;-)

Earwig! Everything is now fine & dandy, just re-installed xp with the ethernet already connected and that seemd to iron out the problems, stuck the modem driver disk in for good measure it picked it up, and that was that. Thanks for the help and input and thanks for the welcome also. cheers and happy easter!

Earwig
26-03-2005, 15:37
Glad to hear it m8.