PDA

View Full Version : ntl signal noise ratio

caroline
25-03-2005, 23:05
Hi All

I Really need some help and advice please
My internet started playing up two weeks ago,it was taking ages to get to a page or just timing out and not even getting to the page, also my downloads would be ok one minute and then just drop off to zero at all different times never the same amount of time, anyway had the ntl engineer out today and it seems i have signal noise ratio problems which basicly means noise on my line which is stopping my full internet, they also done a test there end and im only getting forty percent coming through the line they say its there end thats the problem they told me they would send a e mail to people to fix it that was last week and they still havent fixed it, has anyone had this problem before as they say im the only one getting this problem, if you did how did you get it fixed, because they tell me after a e mail to there engineers it only takes 24 to 48 hours to fix,so now i have phoned them again and there saying it again, i just want it fixed fast surely it cant be to diffulcult as they know the problem.

caroline

paulyoung666
25-03-2005, 23:09
hi and :welcome: to the site , it sounds as though you have been fed a pile of bull***** to me , all this sounds like is a power level problem which any competent cable engineer should have been able to sort out for you , another call to c.s. is well inorder unless one of our resident tech people would like to join in , btw , i hope you enjoy your stay here :)

caroline
25-03-2005, 23:56
Hi paul thanx for replying
the engineer took a reading of the modem and it was working perfectly, if any of the tech people can give me some feedback i would be very greatful.Are NTL talking rubbish ? or is there such a thing as signal nose ratio problems.

Ignition
26-03-2005, 00:04
Private message me your IP address please (obtainable by, on Windows XP, clicking start, run, entering CMD then typing ipconfig )

Unless there's a lot of mitigating factors no excuse for this going on as long as it has.

paulyoung666
26-03-2005, 00:07
just a note of caution , please obtain comfirmation from of the mods of this site before supplying info such as i.p. adresess ;) , although in this case i am happy to say it is ok :)

caroline
26-03-2005, 00:13
hi my ip address is

paulyoung666
26-03-2005, 00:16
hi my ip address is

no it isnt , and if it was then i would strongly suggest you dont post it publicly :disturbd: :D :D

Ignition
26-03-2005, 00:18
Can you see the IP address that your router has from ntl, and could you send me that one, for security, in private, thanks :)

just a note of caution , please obtain comfirmation from of the mods of this site before supplying info such as i.p. adresess ;) , although in this case i am happy to say it is ok :)

Agreed - will suggest to the mods that a tag is set up for known ntl staff who agree to be tagged as such to set minds at rest.

caroline
26-03-2005, 00:21
hope everyone cant see my ip address if they can, can you deleate off the screen please

danielf
26-03-2005, 00:28
hope everyone cant see my ip address if they can, can you deleate off the screen please

It's allright, the adress you posted is not actually your ip adress, as you appear to be behind a router. You have posted it for all to see though :)

You can find out your ip by going to http://www.whatismyip.com/

Once you have that, put it in a private message to ignition. Don't post it on the forum...

Horace
26-03-2005, 00:33
Caroline : Go here : https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Your external ip address is in the bottom paragraph 2 lines from the end (assuming you're using the default proxy)
Then click on Ignitions name and select private message ignition and send him the i.p. address.
-Edit- Daniel beat me to it. Nice link, been looking for a a clearer one that doesn't just display the cache ip. thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
26-03-2005, 00:58
You can find out your ip by going to http://www.whatismyip.com/

The problem with that site is that it gives the IP of the ntl transparent proxy you are using (well, it does for me anyway) - rather than your actual IP.

Once you have that, put it in a private message to ignition. Don't post it on the forum...

Caroline, to send Ignition a PM, click here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&userid=72

I can confirm that he works for ntl, & so can be trusted with your IP address :)

If you're unable to find your true IP address, I can, if you permit me, find it myself using my Mod powers, & then PM it to Ignition for you.

caroline
26-03-2005, 13:05
did you pass my ip address onto ignition

please let me know
thanx

Tezcatlipoca
26-03-2005, 13:28
Done :)

Ignition
26-03-2005, 13:55
Received with thanks.

Have made some adjustments remotely that should at least make service a bit more bearable. Will find out what's going on with the proper fix.

EDIT: Due to bank holiday etc this won't be until Tuesday, will let you know.

caroline
28-03-2005, 15:34
hi ignition
did you find out about why i had so much trouble with my internet.

Tezcatlipoca
28-03-2005, 15:36
It's the Easter weekend, give him a chance ;)

Due to bank holiday etc this won't be until Tuesday

Ignition
28-03-2005, 15:40
I know why you had issues, it's an area fault which I bodged you out of, going to see next if anything is happening with regards to fixing the area fault properly.

BTW Yes tech support were correct, poor signal to noise ratio... don't worry yaself with the rest of it leave that up to me.

Back to detoxing for me, getting old, liver not as forgiving as it used to be :angel:

caroline
28-03-2005, 16:08
thanx for replying to me
just phoned ntl and my line is perfect now which it is, as i can see by how fast my internet is now.

A REALLY BIG BIG THANKYOU to you for sorting it out.
thankyou so much caroline