PDA

View Full Version : Our Dyson's died!

altis
23-03-2005, 15:47
We have a DC05 that has just died. The fuse in the plug is okay but nothing whirrs.

Anyone know how to get in to the damn thing?

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 15:49
We have a DC05 that has just died. The fuse in the plug is okay but nothing whirrs.

Anyone know how to get in to the damn thing?

How long have you left it? Ours has some kind of thermal thingy in it - and if it overheats it springs back into life after a few mins?

Just an idea.

Dunno about taking it apart tho.

homealone
23-03-2005, 15:54
How long have you left it? Ours has some kind of thermal thingy in it - and if it overheats it springs back into life after a few mins?

Just an idea.

Dunno about taking it apart tho.

that's a good point, dilli, one of ours did the same when I accidently blocked it up - the motor is cooled by the flow of air - and the thermal cutout kicked in.

It took ages before it reset, as well - nearly 2 hours IIRC.

Stuart
23-03-2005, 15:56
It's also worth noting that if any of the air filters (hepa filters) are blocked, the Dyson will shut down.

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 16:09
You could get the dodgy new one with the big ball at the bottom.

Pierre
23-03-2005, 16:11
Yes, I Killed our DC07, we were having lots of building work done and I used it to vac up all the builders dust.

Warning: Don't use you Dyson to vac up fine dust.

It lost suction and kept overheating. I stripped down the top of it were the cyclones are formes and found it all blocked with plaster/cement dust that had hardened. I cleaned it all out but it wasn't the machine it used to be.

It kept cutting out and last month finally died.

So I bought another one, same model only £150 - BARGAIN.

Forget about trying to get into the motor.

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 16:21

:Yikes: its a vacume cleaner designed for sucking dust? :confused:

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 16:34
You could get the dodgy new one with the big ball at the bottom.
Got a thing about balls today, have we? ;) :PP:

Yep, leave it to cool down for a couple of hours, make sure the filters are clean, if not then best let it go to that vacuum cleaner heaven in the sky :cry:

SMHarman
23-03-2005, 16:34
Yes, I Killed our DC07, we were having lots of building work done and I used it to vac up all the builders dust.

He's right it does suck dust, but it does not like plaster dust.

We had this problem with our DC07 Animal - no loss of suction pah.

You need to pull the filters out and wash them or replace them - most Dysons have washable filters. The blue one once soaked the water was running like sloppy plaster out of it. Dry them on a radiator and hope the thermal cut out cuts in.

How old is it - they come with a two year wwty as default.

Paul K
23-03-2005, 16:41
Getting into them normally just requires a set of star bits, you know, the type manufaturers use to keep us out of their equipment but unfortunately you can by from screwfix etc ;) Not that I've ever had to get inside a Dyson to rewire it after someone yanked the lead once too often :angel:

Stuart
23-03-2005, 16:43
Yep, leave it to cool down for a couple of hours, make sure the filters are clean, if not then best let it go to that vacuum cleaner heaven in the sky :cry:

Like our DC05 did... :mad:

After the amount of hassle that thing gave us, I was quite happy to replace it with a Vax upright (£99.00 at Tesco), which has all the features of the Dyson, doesn't seem to lose suction much and is also far more powerful than the dyson. The downside is it sounds like a hovercraft (and if you've ever been to Dover, you KNOW how loud those are).

homealone
23-03-2005, 16:43

An 'ordinary' hoover will allow fine dust to escape back into the air - as some have found trying to hoover up spilt toner, the Dyson design traps it all, but fine stuff will clog it quicker.

Paul K
23-03-2005, 16:47

An 'ordinary' hoover will allow fine dust to escape back into the air - as some have found trying to hoover up spilt toner, the Dyson design traps it all, but fine stuff will clog it quicker.
Ye gads you don't want to be hoovering toner up with a standard hoover :erm: One of the Konica techs caught someone at the college doing it and he nearly soiled himself as he's seen toner spontaneously combust due to someone using a bog standard hoover to pick it up :Yikes:

orangebird
23-03-2005, 16:54

After the amount of hassle that thing gave us, I was quite happy to replace it with a Vax upright (£99.00 at Tesco), which has all the features of the Dyson, doesn't seem to lose suction much and is also far more powerful than the dyson. The downside is it sounds like a hovercraft (and if you've ever been to Dover, you KNOW how loud those are).

Yay! I have a Vax Luna 1300 - beats any Shi-son I've used hands down, and cost about £60 less when brand new.... plus, what was the colour designer on when he created the look for dysons???? :sick:

homealone
23-03-2005, 17:04
Ye gads you don't want to be hoovering toner up with a standard hoover :erm: One of the Konica techs caught someone at the college doing it and he nearly soiled himself as he's seen toner spontaneously combust due to someone using a bog standard hoover to pick it up :Yikes:

hmm finely divided carbonaceous material & heat & static - sounds like an potential explosion, to me, too ;)

gary_580
23-03-2005, 17:23
Getting into them normally just requires a set of star bits, you know, the type manufaturers use to keep us out of their equipment but unfortunately you can by from screwfix etc ;) Not that I've ever had to get inside a Dyson to rewire it after someone yanked the lead once too often :angel:

why why why do they insist on trying to get to the bottom of the garden :D

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 18:26
Ours blew up big syle!!! So I am not allowed to touch hoovers!!!! as I can blow them up very easily!!!!!!

danielf
23-03-2005, 19:14

Surely that should be Hoovercraft?

cookie_365
23-03-2005, 19:37
Surely that should be Hoovercraft?

Owww !! Uncalled for !!

:redcard:

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 19:43
We ended up replacing ours with a morphy richards and i have to say it is a much better hoover and is more powerful. I am never going to get another dyson again!!!

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 19:46
I wish altis would tell us what's happening with his machine..... the suspense is killing me :)

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 19:47
that probally blew up as well!!!!!!

Tuftus
23-03-2005, 22:33
I have always been wary of Dysons.

I am sure that they are very advanced and technological but to me they scream Fischer Price....

Nuff said.

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 22:35
I have always been wary of Dysons.

I am sure that they are very advanced and technological but to me they scream Fischer Price....

Nuff said.
No, no, no, I have Fisher Price toys that are 20+ years old and still in perfect working order! Don't think you'd find a Dyson in perfect working order after 20 months! :Yikes:

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 22:36
No, no, no, I have Fisher Price toys that are 20+ years old and still in perfect working order! Don't think you'd find a Dyson in perfect working order after 20 months! :Yikes:

Buxom Woman's DC01 is still going strong ;):p::D

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 22:41
Buxom Woman's DC01 is still going strong ;):p::D
I'm on my second DC05! And that's in about 3 years - of course the first one packed up just out of warranty. :mad:

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 22:43
I'm on my second DC05! And that's in about 3 years - of course the first one packed up just out of warranty. :mad:

That'll be the patented 12month and you're screwed chip ;)

Paul K
23-03-2005, 22:46

That'll be the patented 12month and you're screwed chip ;)
Ah the good old 12 months 1 week (to cover postage time) chip lol ;) It's amazing just how well things are built these days so that they last till just outside their warranty. Maybe if they built them to actually last as long as possible people would be more apt to praise them and continue to buy their goods.

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 22:47
Aha - now whoever thought of that invention must be raking it in - just from me alone! The number of times I've had an iron, vacuum cleaner or toaster etc pack up just as the guarantee expired........:cry: :D

SMHarman
24-03-2005, 00:32
Just bought the FP record player of ebay for our 2 yr old - he loves it - they don't make em like they used to.

Gareth
24-03-2005, 00:47
I'm a Dyson convert... am on #2 now, after selling the DC01 to a friend. It's 7 years old now and still going strong. We've now gone for the smaller design instead of the upright one - think it's DC07, it's the animal one where the hose can be wrapped round the cylinder for storage.

I think Dyson gave the entire vacuum industry the kick up the arse that it needed. He deserves a :tu: just for that!

As for the design, erm... ours isn't so bad. The 1st one was De Stijl, which was very funky, but at the end of the day it's all about whatever floats yer boat, and I like our new one - but I gotta say that Vax are just downright ugly, and Henry's are stoopid!

Lord Nikon
24-03-2005, 01:31
I think I'll stay with my Sebo vacuum then...

http://www.sebo.co.uk/Pages/bs4636.html

handyman
24-03-2005, 02:31
I think Dyson gave the entire vacuum industry the kick up the arse that it needed. He deserves a :tu: just for that!

When I used t repair vacuums cleaners Dysons where very new, however the dC01 still had lots of the same faults that the regular ones had. I used to test each one afterwards as our shop used to get very dusty. The dysons never picked up well at all its just a myth. Once they have been used they clog up inside and your nasty dust n stuff builds up. With regular bagged hoovers you can take all the nasty stuff and pop it bag and all in the bin. Older ones normall get scented bags so you can freshen your carpet as well.

Of all the hoovers I think my favorites are the Hoover turbo power one or a hoover junior. They clean the carpet way better and are cheaper.

Worst ones are electrolux they are just built so cheaply and the motors are cr@p.

Lord Nikon
24-03-2005, 03:35
SEBO BS36 & 46 twin motor upright vacuum cleaners have been developed to give excellent performance, outstanding reliability and easy maintenance. Their low weight and wide heads make it easy to clean wide areas quickly and without fatigue.
FEATURES
- Twin motor. Separate suction and brush motor
- Suction motor 1300 watt
- Brush motor 150 watt/200 watt (BS 36/ BS 46)
- Timing belt with electronic protection
- Electronic guidance for optimum brush height
- Changeable brush strip
- Housing of strong ABS
- Cleans when flat
- Hose with integrated wand
- Bag full warning light

BENEFITS
- Effective and trouble free operation
- All round cleaning ability
- Economic servicing
- Durable

I like my sebo, even if the only place I can get bags is from sebo themselves lol

Pierre
24-03-2005, 08:27
I read somewhere that if a household nuys a Dyson, then the man is 54% (or something like that) more likely to do the hoovering.

Nemesis
24-03-2005, 08:37
Kirby work extremely well and last forever ........

dilli-theclaw
24-03-2005, 08:42
I read somewhere that if a household nuys a Dyson, then the man is 54% (or something like that) more likely to do the hoovering.

So THAT'S why she got one :Yikes::D

zoombini
24-03-2005, 09:08
IN our house, if my wife buys a Dyson then the man is 100% more likely to wash/change the filters, because she does not understand the need to.
having an imitation on, she never ever changed the filters. only ever just emptied the box.
I had to do all the filter cleaning.

I do not want a Dyson thankyou.

Stuart
24-03-2005, 09:13
but I gotta say that Vax are just downright ugly, and Henry's are stoopid!

Vax are ugly (mine's bright orange - ugh), but on the other hand mine does work, and seems reliable. Unlike the Dyson, which I'll admit did look nice. Having said that, I didn't buy a vacuum to look nice. I bought it so it picked stuff up. The Vax does that, and it doesn't matter how it looks as when it's not being used, it's in a cupboard.

And as for Henry's, well they do look stupid, but according to the cleaners at work, they are bloody reliable.

STONEISLAND
24-03-2005, 09:16
Henry's are stoopid!

Hey I have a Henry good quielty cheep hover dont knock it till you have tryed it......:)

altis
24-03-2005, 09:26
I wish altis would tell us what's happening with his machine..... the suspense is killing me :)
Still dead I'm afraid.

It's not the Klixon (the 'thermal thingy') 'cos it's not klicked back on again.

Yes they do use Torx screws and, although my TX10 driver is a little too small, it will just about do. There's only one screw visible from the outside (under the dust cylinder). And if you bend the wheels back there's two more screws just visible inside but I haven't taken these out yet 'cos they'll be a pain to get back in again. I can't help feeling that I need to get the wheels off first but, short of brute force, I can't see how to manage that.

It must be well over 5 years old now and, since nothing has broken before, then I guess it doesn't really owe us anything. I just hate throwing stuff out :(

Nemesis
24-03-2005, 09:28
I just hate throwing stuff out :(

SO does that mean you've kept the contents of the dyson after each hoover ...... ewwwwwwwwwwww ;)

orangebird
24-03-2005, 09:34
Vax are ugly (mine's bright orange - ugh), but on the other hand mine does work, and seems reliable. Unlike the Dyson, which I'll admit did look nice. Having said that, I didn't buy a vacuum to look nice. I bought it so it picked stuff up. The Vax does that, and it doesn't matter how it looks as when it's not being used, it's in a cupboard.

And as for Henry's, well they do look stupid, but according to the cleaners at work, they are bloody reliable.

My vax is gorgeous!!!

allieyoung666
24-03-2005, 09:49
Mines sliver and cool. But I do sometimes miss me dyson!!!

Stuart
24-03-2005, 10:03
My vax is gorgeous!!!

Your's is nice. All the ones I saw when I was looking looked awful though. Still bought one. As I said, it picks stuff up, is more powerful than the Dyson and it seems more reliable too (not to mention cheaper), so I am more than happy.

AdamD
26-03-2005, 23:47
My mother bought one of the upright dysons a few years ago, although it still works, I can't say I like it all that much
To noisy
And god, the noise it makes when the rollers/brushes get stuck! jeesh
Sounds like a machine gun going off

altis
06-04-2005, 14:11
Back from hols and a bit more time to look at it.

Yes indeed - getting the wheels off is the key to everything. Unfortunately, they won't just pull off - you first need to prise out the little (lime green in our case) plugs in the middle. I used a sharp screwdriver and I've made a right mess of them. Probably better to drill a hole in the centre, fit a screw, and pull on that instead. Then the wheels just pull off. There's 5 Torx screws holding the two halves of the case together and then everything else just unclips.

The problem was a break in the live core of the flex. I bought some super floppy stuff to replace it and now we're back in action - whoopee!

paulyoung666
06-04-2005, 18:23
cheap fix , good result :tu: :D :D