PDA

View Full Version : I have allways had bitches.......

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 09:21
And now I have a dog. :disturbd: The vet sent me a letter to tell me he's 6 months old and I need to think about having his balls chopped. :Yikes: (not in those words) My partner said this would be a good idea as it will stop him straying and claim his aggression down not (that I think he's aggressive) :dozey:

Has anyone here with dog experience that have had there balls cut? :confused: Is it necessary? :confused: And does it change his personality? :confused: I'm must admit being a bloke I feel it would be harsh to have his pride and joy gone? :(

Advise please. :)

Paul K
23-03-2005, 09:24
And now I have a dog. :disturbd: The vet sent me a letter to tell me he's 6 months old and I need to think about having his balls chopped. :Yikes: (not in those words) My partner said this would be a good idea as it will stop him straying and claim his aggression down not (that I think he's aggressive) :dozey:

Has anyone here with dog experience that have had there balls cut? :confused: Is it necessary? :confused: And does it change his personality? :confused: I'm must admit being a bloke I feel it would be harsh to have his pride and joy gone? :(

It can make them a little subdued for a while after the removal ;) Supposedly it lowers aggression but that may depend on how aggressive the dog was in the first place. Oh and he may be a bit ******ed at you for a little while after the op so you may want to make your partner take him in :D

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 09:27
It can make them a little subdued for a while after the removal ;) Supposedly it lowers aggression but that may depend on how aggressive the dog was in the first place. Oh and he may be a bit ******ed at you for a little while after the op so you may want to make your partner take him in :D

So your saying its best to get it done? :disturbd:

I'm scared for my poor buddy? :( :shocked:

Maggy
23-03-2005, 09:29
Incog you must resist...resist....resist....the gender related comments that sprung to your lips....resist...resist....as soon as you read the subject title...resist...resist.. and as soon as you read the posting...resist...resist.

:D

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 09:29
The dog training classes I went to said it was a good idea as it makes them less aggressive and easier to train. The only un-neutered dog I have had dealings with was fine with people, children, cats etc but other dogs......well!!! He now has the equivalent of a doggie 'ASBO' and if he gets out and goes for another dog it's the chop for him - but this time the terminal kind!!! I'd always recommend it - why not contact your local dog training classes (if you don't go already!) and see what advice they can offer, they are well informed about this type of thing.
Good luck!

Paul K
23-03-2005, 09:34

So your saying its best to get it done? :disturbd:

I'm scared for my poor buddy? :( :shocked:
Best to get it done in case he wants to assert his dog manliness on the local biatches ;) Don't want to be paying maintenance for his fun do you?? :D
By the way, I do hope your post was canine related and not a disguised plea for help after a chat with your partner ;)

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 09:35
Incog you must resist...resist....resist....the gender related comments that sprung to your lips....resist...resist....as soon as you read the subject title...resist...resist.. and as soon as you read the posting...resist...resist.

Hey :tu: i'm sure its all clear to you now. Its what I call a punchy title. And really quiet true all i have had is bitches and never a dog before?

Maggy
23-03-2005, 09:38
Don't worry I've got myself under control for now..can't say everyone else will though... :D

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 09:54
I would rep you all but have a problem with my PC as it freezes when I press rep button? :( :confused:

I wont forget and try later. ;)

But from advise looks like a trip to the vets then. :(

gary_580
23-03-2005, 10:09
The dog training classes I went to said ......

Thats how you controlled Paul :D

bopdude
23-03-2005, 10:13
The dog training classes I went to said ......

:rofl: I just got in and read trhis thread, if you hadn't I was gonna, I mean come on Chim, left yourself wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open for that :D

gary_580
23-03-2005, 10:15
:rofl: I just got in and read trhis thread, if you hadn't I was gonna, I mean come on Chim, left yourself wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open for that :D

errrmmmmmm :D left herself wide open? :Yikes:

Paul K
23-03-2005, 10:18

errrmmmmmm :D left herself wide open? :Yikes:
Good thing she is otherwise pre-occupied or the response to those comments would no doubt have been prompt ;)

Stuart
23-03-2005, 10:20

Your dog will be slightly groggy for a few days, and he will eventually become less aggressive. It will take several weeks, as the testosterone will still be in his body for a few weeks. You might also find he keeps looking at where they were, and then giving you a dirty look. My yorkie did that to me.

One other reason that we were given by our vet. Cancer is quite common in some breeds, and having their balls chopped off reduces the chances of Cancer.

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 10:25
Your dog will be slightly groggy for a few days, and he will eventually become less aggressive. It will take several weeks, as the testosterone will still be in his body for a few weeks. You might also find he keeps looking at where they were, and then giving you a dirty look. My yorkie did that to me.

One other reason that we were given by our vet. Cancer is quite common in some breeds, and having their balls chopped off reduces the chances of Cancer.

My dog is cross between yourkie and papilon.

:cry: I feel so sorry for him but from everyone has said it needs to be done. Not looking forward to it. Will I have any problems with the stitches?

Paul K
23-03-2005, 10:28

My dog is cross between yourkie and papilon.

:cry: I feel so sorry for him but from everyone has said it needs to be done. Not looking forward to it. Will I have any problems with the stitches?
Doubt if you will have problems with stitches, you have to make sure the dog leaves himself alone while he is healing up though ;) Apart from making sure you keep an eye on him when you first bring him home to make sure the anaesthetic has cleared his system you shouldn't have much to worry about :)
*Well, apart from "those looks" that Stu has mentioned but that's why I suggested getting your partner take him in :p: *

SMHarman
23-03-2005, 10:29
It needs to be done before the testosterone production kicks off, otherwise it is a pointless (boom boom) excercise as the testosterone that starts the aggressive behaviour once produced does not go away to the same degree if they are removed. So unless you are planning to breed I'd get it done.

BTW - did you not get yo bitches spayed? We were advised to get ours done after she had her second season, now that is an expensive operation by comparison to the one your paying out for. Also not getting it done - without wanting to sound crude, but doesn't it make a mess on your carpets?

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 10:33
It needs to be done before the testosterone production kicks off, otherwise it is a pointless (boom boom) excercise as the testosterone that starts the aggressive behaviour once produced does not go away to the same degree if they are removed. So unless you are planning to breed I'd get it done.

BTW - did you not get yo bitches spayed? We were advised to get ours done after she had her second season, now that is an expensive operation by comparison to the one your paying out for. Also not getting it done - without wanting to sound crude, but doesn't it make a mess on your carpets?

My bitches have passed away to the land of dogs. I'm sure they where done it was a few years ago so carnt remember?:confused:

It needs to be done before the testosterone production kicks off, otherwise it is a pointless

I was thinking of waiting a little longer not sure why guess just dealying the thought. But you say best to get done ASAP? :(

Stuart
23-03-2005, 10:39

IIRC, the only problem we had was stopping him trying to lick the stitches, and having to clean them ourselves.

Your vet should be able to give you guidance though.

gary_580
23-03-2005, 10:47
IIRC, the only problem we had was stopping him trying to lick the stitches, and having to clean them ourselves.

get one of those funnel collar things.

Paul K
23-03-2005, 10:52

For the dog or for Skunk??? ;) We didn't bother with a collar when we got Benji done but then he was only a pup at the time. As long as the dog doesn't try to lick himself too much it should be ok, our dog just spent a lot more time asleep for the first day or so which made it easier to keep an eye on him.
Might want to get him booked in on a friday as it will make it easier to keep an eye on the outcome if you are at home for the weekend and not at work for 8 hours a day ;)

gary_580
23-03-2005, 10:54
For the dog or for Skunk??? ;) We didn't bother with a collar when we got Benji done but then he was only a pup at the time. As long as the dog doesn't try to lick himself too much it should be ok, our dog just spent a lot more time asleep for the first day or so which made it easier to keep an eye on him.
Might want to get him booked in on a friday as it will make it easier to keep an eye on the outcome if you are at home for the weekend and not at work for 8 hours a day ;)

why does skunk lick his ba... :Yikes:

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 10:55

Good point batman I was thinking about that. As I do work full time and was worried about leaving him on his own with the stiches. Why would he lick them out? would he nibble at them?

but like you say best do it friday and then have the weekend to recover.

Stuart
23-03-2005, 10:56

That's what we did..

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 10:56

I dont :rolleyes: :dozey: dont worry :D ;)

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 11:36
No need gary - he was already trained when I got him! :D

Now now Bop, I only live in Essex - I'm not a pedigree Essex bitch!

Because he can? ;)

gary_580
23-03-2005, 11:38
Because he can? ;)

been on the web cam again huh :D

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 11:42
Because he can? ;)

:Yikes: How did you know? :shocked:

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 11:43
been on the web cam again huh :D
Not lately!!! :blush:

:Yikes: How did you know? :shocked:
Just an educated guess! ;) :Yikes:

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 11:44
Not lately!!! :blush:

Just an educated guess! ;) :Yikes:

:rofl: :tu: :disturbd:

er :notopic:

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 11:49
they will be disovlable ones, so he should not get any infection at all, he will probally be a wee bit sore for a while, but he will be back to his old self in no time!

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 11:59
Our dog didn't have the dissolvable type stitches and made it her life's work to get them out! :Yikes: She actually got her tooth caught on one - I can still remember her yelping. As I worked in A&E at the time I got some really sticky adhesive tape and put that over them, it stopped her trying to pull them out but wasn't so much fun trying to get the tape off! :cry: Oh and one of those cone shaped collars is a must if you are going to turn your back on him even for a little while - dogs are worse that kids for 'picking' at things!

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 11:59
they will be disovlable ones, so he should not get any infection at all, he will probally be a wee bit sore for a while, but he will be back to his old self in no time!

there not lie humans who take ages to heal, he should be back on his feet within a few hours, just remember not to pat or touch the wound site as this will agitiate him, I hope this helps;)

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:15
I got some really sticky adhesive tape and put that over them, but wasn't so much fun trying to get the tape off! :cry:

And humans pay for that ;)

Maggy
23-03-2005, 12:16
See I told you I could restrain myself but I didn't think anyone else would...I know my fellow CF'ers sooo well... :)

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:19
I get you some of that tape it is beauty for removing bikini lines

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:20
See I told you I could restrain myself but I didn't think anyone else would...I know my fellow CF'ers sooo well... :)

but you cant resist looking ;)

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 12:20
Our dog didn't have the dissolvable type stitches and made it her life's work to get them out! :Yikes: She actually got her tooth caught on one - I can still remember her yelping. As I worked in A&E at the time I got some really sticky adhesive tape and put that over them, it stopped her trying to pull them out but wasn't so much fun trying to get the tape off! :cry: Oh and one of those cone shaped collars is a must if you are going to turn your back on him even for a little while - dogs are worse that kids for 'picking' at things!

Ok your putting me of getting the poor fellow done now........ :(
Will the vet suppy these collars? I think I may need one as he likes liking his balls. :p:

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:21
Ok your putting me of getting the poor fellow done now........ :(
Will the vet suppy these collars? I think I may need one as he likes liking his balls. :p:

yes they can.

Has he been watching his master too much :D

Dont put him out in the snow or you might end up with an ice cream cone

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 12:23
yes they can.

Has he been watching his master too much :D

Hey now thats a little harsh. :dozey: where these rummors have come from I will never know.........:rolleyes:

:disturbd: :D

:rolleyes: :p:

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:29
where these rummors have come from I will never know.........:rolleyes:

Rumours!!! Chim says you can so she must have seen :D

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:34
Now now children!!!

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 12:40
Noooo - don't be put off!!! It's not that bad really, you won't feel a thing! :D
Ok, it's not very nice collecting your (possibly) groggy pet from the vets, or the reproachful looks you get afterwards - but most dogs will forgive you if you supply a few extra treats. But it is worth it in the long run!

Rumours!!! Chim says you can so she must have seen :D
I thought all blokes could? :Sprint:

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:41
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:43

i thought thats why females exist ;)

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:44
lick your own balls mate!!!!!

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 12:44
i thought thats why females exist ;)
No no no gary - we exist for the useful things in life - like taking our dogs to the vets for..................:D

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 12:46
Noooo - don't be put off!!! It's not that bad really, you won't feel a thing! :D
Ok, it's not very nice collecting your (possibly) groggy pet from the vets, or the reproachful looks you get afterwards - but most dogs will forgive you if you supply a few extra treats. But it is worth it in the long run!

Thanks for reassurance and will let you all know how Harry gets on........I'm scared :(

Poor Harry :cry:

Chimaera
23-03-2005, 12:48
Thanks for reassurance and will let you all know how Harry gets on........I'm scared :(

Poor Harry :cry:
Yeah - it's not nice - but he won't worry about it, he will come back to you with his tail wagging and looking for food (remember he will have to be starved before the op). He won't hold it against you, honestly! And then you will wonder what you were worried about in the first place! ;)

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:50
hey the dog wont realise what the hell is going on, the only way he will know is that he will sense your fear, so just chill and buy him loads of treats for when he returns

gary_580
23-03-2005, 12:55
hey the dog wont realise what the hell is going on, the only way he will know is that he will sense your fear, so just chill and buy him loads of treats for when he returns

you might want to buy him a couple of balls to play with :D

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 12:55
what his own, you nasty person!!!

STONEISLAND
23-03-2005, 12:56
you might want to buy him a couple of balls to play with :D

Yeap very fuuny.

Thanks a lot guys.........I will keep you posted on how he gets on. :)

orangebird
23-03-2005, 13:00

Unless you want be responsible for god knows how many unwanted puppies in the future ( :nono: ), yes it is neccessary.

It'll stop him from being aggresive with other dogs, stop him from spraying on every inanimate object he comes across, and will also stop his urge to hump ladies legs...and howling to all hours of the night when nearby bitches are in season.

Iyt shouldn't change his general personality, it won't hurt him, and including the anaesthetic, it won't take more than a day or two to get over. It's definitely the way to go.

My exprience with dogs - 20+ in the last 25 years.

gary_580
23-03-2005, 13:02
what his own, you nasty person!!!

huh :confused: how would he buy his own? :confused:

SMHarman
23-03-2005, 15:17
Oh the cone things are so much fun - play catch in doors, they forget / don't understand they have just got wider and cannot go through the same gaps they could last week. You hear the occasional clunk yelp as they try to run through a half open door and get stopped by the collar!
(ps I'm a paid up member of the dogs trust!)

gary_580
23-03-2005, 15:22
Oh the cone things are so much fun - play catch in doors, they forget / don't understand they have just got wider and cannot go through the same gaps they could last week. You hear the occasional clunk yelp as they try to run through a half open door and get stopped by the collar!
(ps I'm a paid up member of the dogs trust!)

You bad man!!! I guess it makes catching easier for them

greencreeper
23-03-2005, 22:20
So cutting a dog's tail off, knowing as "docking", is cruel and inhumane, but lopping his nuts off is perfectly acceptable :erm:

homealone
23-03-2005, 22:47
So cutting a dog's tail off, knowing as "docking", is cruel and inhumane, but lopping his nuts off is perfectly acceptable :erm:

in my opinion, yes - the former is cosmetic, it doesn't happen here, now, but I remember in Kenya, years ago, dogs like boxers & dobermans having their ears 'docked', also :(

- castration, however, has been used in domestic animal husbandry for a long time

geldings, bullocks etc

define acceptable in that context ?