PDA

View Full Version : Saturated Lines?

deathball
22-03-2005, 17:37
Hey,
I was upgraded to 3mb a couple days ago everything was working fine till the other day, I wondering if someone could help me, my connection keeps dropping ever 1 to 2 hours, i rang up NTL and they said it would be a saturated line becuase the amount of data i was transferring everyday, but i dont have a clue what this means lol can someone explain?

paulyoung666
22-03-2005, 17:47
hi and :welcome: to the site , they are watching you , move a lot of gigabytes about do you ???? :erm: :D :D :D

deathball
22-03-2005, 18:09
Hey,
Thanks mate
well over 7 days i transfered over 15.6gb

paulyoung666
22-03-2005, 18:11
Hey,
Thanks mate
well over 7 days i transfered over 15.6gb

you may well be pushing your luck then :disturbd: ;) :)

TigaSefi
22-03-2005, 18:23
ideally ur supposed to be doing 1gb a day. I thoroughly recommend to sticking to the limit.

deathball
22-03-2005, 18:28
hey,
I really get ****ed off with this bandwidth cap, i mean they give us a bigger connection but a limit to how much data we can send and recieve, we might aswell be back on dial up, at least on that there is now bandwidth limit.

zeus9876
22-03-2005, 18:35
I totally agree....I will continue to download and move things about like i always have over the last 3 years and if they disconnect me then i will move elsewhere.

Doofy
22-03-2005, 18:43
And the entire point in the caps is simply to avoid the situation that you find yourself in. Simple really you are already seeing the impact you are having with your connection dropping, stop transferring so much traffic and the connection may well be ok

purenuman
22-03-2005, 18:43
I totally agree....I will continue to download and move things about like i always have over the last 3 years and if they discnnect me then i will move elsewhere.

Why not move now if you truly are upset!

Plenty of better deals about aren't there??

Let them know you mean business!

They think you'll whinge for ever and do nothing about it.

Go! They are sure to miss you. :angel:

:D

.................................. You still here?? :p:

paulyoung666
22-03-2005, 18:50
oh hell another cap thread :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

zeus9876
22-03-2005, 18:51
Why not move now if you truly are upset!

Plenty of better deals about aren't there??

Let them know you mean business!

They think you'll whinge for ever and do nothing about it.

Go! They are sure to miss you. :angel:

:D

.................................. You still here?? :p:

I never said i was unhappy if your talking to me and i assume you are since you quoted me. Never had a problem with broadband that hasnt been fixed straight away so no need for me to moan. Was just stating my thoughts is all.

Doofy
22-03-2005, 19:05
oh hell another cap thread :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tezcatlipoca
22-03-2005, 19:41
Moved to ntl Broadband Support & Discussion (was in Cable TV!)

Also - Please keep talk of the "Cap" out of this thread - there is already an existing thread for that here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25635

deathball -

Do you use a standalone cable modem (SACM), or a TV set-top box (STB) for your broadband connection?

What are you using the connection for when it drops? If you're doing a lot of P2P stuff, then it could well be that that is saturating you connection & causing it to drop. You *must* limit your upload & download speed when using P2P & so on - see here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html

deathball
22-03-2005, 20:17
hey,
i am using a set top box when my connection drops i am running bit torrent, i have been for around 2 - 3 years and never had a problem untill now.

But still no one has told me what it actually means to saturate my lines.

Tezcatlipoca
22-03-2005, 20:24
It's a common problem with certain Set-Top Boxes (some Pace ones IIRC).

When downloading or uploading, there must always be some...spare bandwidth...available in each direction. If you "max out" or saturate your connection by downloading/uploading at your full speed, it can easily cause the connection to drop & the box to crash.

Have a read of the link I gave earlier, & re-configure your BT client (if possible) to have a download & upload limit of *less* than your actual download & upload max speed (how much less depends - see link).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html

Oh, & I'd recommend Azareus as a Bit Torrent client - better than the bog standard one, & very configurable.