PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Background noise dissapeared ?

pooroldjoe
22-03-2005, 14:35
At about 20.00 hours yesterday (March 21) the lights on my NTL 100 modem began to behave in an unnatural manner in that the D/s (downstream) light was not flashing more or less continuously as it normally does, although it does flash at infrequent intervals
Power Light is on and steady as is Sync and Ready. The ethernet light is also steady. U/s (Upstream) flashes intermittently.
However I can browse OK ,(even get eMail) without any noticeable degradation of service. When receiving data the D/s light does flash, together with the Enet and U/s lights.
Going to a streaming audio/video site (i,e BBC) then the lights all flash away merrily.
SNR and receive power levels are within the limits I normally see.

Pings and Traceroutes return the sort of results I would expect to see. My other services, analogue TV and †˜phone are OK.

So, as everything seems to be working except for the Lazy Emitting Diode
should I worry. There doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t seem to be a need to call CS/TS at this stage.

Thanks
Joe

Toto
22-03-2005, 14:38
Exactly the same thing here, my SB4100 modem normally has a lot of flshing on the "activity" light, and this was normal. Now, since yesterday night it only flashes when I download/upload stuff.

Perhaps this reduction in activity is related to reducing the traffic throuput on cable modems to give accurate upload/download stats. :)

Flubflow
22-03-2005, 15:09
Right up until today the activity light on my cable modem always used to flash away merrily even when you wern't actually using the internet (and because I use a router, it's lights flickered away in unison too).
Now the light just stays off until I'm actually doing something (like requesting a webpage, downloading/uploading, email etc).
What am I complaining about I hear you ask? Well, nothing. I'm rather pleased actually, because that's the way it should be. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether something has changed on the NTL network to somehow filter out all the junk activity at last?

EDIT: my bad, sorry for not checking for existing threads on this topic.

Toto
22-03-2005, 15:51
Right up until today the activity light on my cable modem always used to flash away merrily even when you wern't actually using the internet (and because I use a router, it's lights flickered away in unison too).
Now the light just stays off until I'm actually doing something (like requesting a webpage, downloading/uploading, email etc).
What am I complaining about I hear you ask? Well, nothing. I'm rather pleased actually, because that's the way it should be. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether something has changed on the NTL network to somehow filter out all the junk activity at last?

EDIT: my bad, sorry for not checking for existing threads on this topic.

Yup, I'd like to know if there has been a change, but I am certainly not complaining :):):)

goldoni
22-03-2005, 15:57
How strange, just looked at my Terayon modem and its steady as a rock same with the router not even a little flash untill I download or upload. So whats changed??? :confused: but Im certainly not complaining either.

jtwn
22-03-2005, 15:58
Maybe one of the bods could explain, i never see my modem though so nvm =)

daniel larusso
22-03-2005, 17:54
I have noticed the same here in Leicester. Normally the arrows on DU Meter are showing constant small activity when not in ude. Since Sunday this has disappeared and the connection seems idle until I start downloading

Toto
22-03-2005, 17:57
Actually, its just come back to life as if by magic.

Whatever happened its now returned to normal ???

Flubflow
22-03-2005, 18:01
Actually, its just come back to life as if by magic.

Whatever happened its now returned to normal ???

Still quiet as a mouse here so far.

paulyoung666
22-03-2005, 18:02
flashing all the time here on a TJ210 :)

pooroldjoe
22-03-2005, 18:50
Yes mine is back to normal Blackpool Illuminations display, all flashing away merrill.y

Flubflow
22-03-2005, 19:00
Spoke too soon. It's back to the normal, activity flashing away all of its own accord.
I wish someone in the know could tell us what happened (for some of us) during this period.

jrhnewark
23-03-2005, 04:55
I brought this up on another forum, but nobody seemed interested!

Exactly the same thing here, up until now, as far as I know. Has the SACM software changed or what?!

My only concern was that this might be NTL installing their new network monitoring/cap system! :eek:

nostra
23-03-2005, 08:15
there is nothing official about this there has been nothing mentioned at all, but perhaps it is ntl introducing software to cut out the background noise due to the hard capping that will soon be introduced.

possibly....

jrhnewark
23-03-2005, 08:17
But why didn't they introduce the software in the first place..?

Anyway - what do I hear about hard capping?! :(

Graham M
23-03-2005, 10:23
Have you had your eyes closed?

jrhnewark
23-03-2005, 10:27
Arrm - it's come back here, too, now. :S

tim
23-03-2005, 11:35
Well hot damn! I was just gonna ask the same question then I found this thread.

The Activity light on my SB4100 has been way too quiet over the last few days.
Didn't affect net access at all. Seems back to normal now though.
Perhaps some sort of filtering experiment?

I'm in the Baldock/Hitchin/Luton area.

Flubflow
28-07-2005, 12:47
Background "noise" seems to have disappeared again (Teesside).
The modem activity light went very quiet yesterday (except when there is genuine activity of course).
I wonder why and whether it is going to be temporary like when it happened before.

daniel larusso
28-07-2005, 13:25
Yep, mine has been like that for the last 2 days now aswell :)