PDA

View Full Version : Is the Telewest Sales Guy wrong?

DezMW
22-03-2005, 14:15
I currently have Nildram ADSL broadband, but have been considering switching to Telewest's Blueyonder 4mb service. After going through the availability checker on their website my house wasn't listed in the coverage, but my street was - a sales/engineer visit was organised and it turns out I can be connected - so far so good.

While he was round I didn't commit right then as I wanted to assess my options - so I just asked my questions which he answered. My main concern was about having to get new kit for my home network. He saw the setup and assured my that my Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem Router setup was compatible and no other kit would be required. Having had a look at the blueyonder site - sure enough they are in partnership with netgear, but unfortunately because I'm not already a Blueyonder customer I can't get on that part of the site, however all the descriptions on the site I can see suggest that I would need a stand alone router to connect to a Cable modem - which the DG834G isn't.

So which is correct? The Sales/engineer guy or the website - or do both work as with normal ADSL? I need to make a decision pretty quick to capitalise on the March offer for new customers. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Nemesis
22-03-2005, 14:17
BY 4 Meg is not ADSL ... so your ADSL router would need 2 Eth interfaces to work. If it doesn't then it's a new router I'm afraid.

DezMW
22-03-2005, 14:57
So basically he was wrong. hmmm doesn't instill me with much confidence to adopt the service then

Nemesis
22-03-2005, 14:59
The service is reportedly good, and this is a small hiccup.

danielf
22-03-2005, 15:05
So basically he was wrong. hmmm doesn't instill me with much confidence to adopt the service then

I have no complaints about the BY 1MB service if that's any help

MalcUK2005
01-04-2005, 22:51
Guys are telewest sales will tell you anything to sell you a product, ive heard of people being told that their wireless will work over a 30 mile radius or they have a dialup modem built into the wall.

moffmeister
07-04-2005, 20:44
Guys are telewest sales will tell you anything to sell you a product, ive heard of people being told that their wireless will work over a 30 mile radius or they have a dialup modem built into the wall.

That's worrying.

Acropolis
08-04-2005, 12:51
The sales rep's will tell you want you want to hear to get the sale, this is the same wherever you go and nothing unique to BY.

I have heard all sorts of things told to customers to get the sale, like

no we wont have to dig your garden, the engineers put a little transmitter at the end of you garden and a reciver on the wall of your house.

yes of course out engineers can drill through glass.

and many many more, now I dont know what is more scary, that the sales rep's come out with this, or that some of the customers believe them.