PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 12:59
I heard that some technicans from NTL's team post here regually, i'll sign up, and stick around however i have some problems that need resolving.

1) How would i change my IP address? At the moment it's not changing everytime i reboot IE, static ip - and i was glined/akilled on an IRC network in a "clearchan"(bans all members in that channel from the network) and i got caugh up in one of those when the channel owner was breaking Quakenet.org IRC rules! So cannot get on that network now.

2) I've got problems with connecting on a standard mIRC client, i'm getting a connection refused, and i am sure it's something to do with getting my ip, as i never had this problem with AOL(Oh, and shockingily that was one thing good about them)

3) I'm going to format to try solve question 2, but would i be allowed a new CD and mac info etc etc, so when i re-install NTL after format.

4) I can't get into the upgrade to 2mb as i didn't setup a proper account, i had problems with the installer so had to manually detect the box/modem - So if i rang you could it be reset?(confirm my info also)

Many thanks for your time, i hope this can be solved because no one was available on the broadband medic support chat!

Calum :erm:

daxx
22-03-2005, 13:03
Usually an upgrade in speed means a new IP so try that route first its faster than the second, leaving your SACM or STB for a long period (24 hrs or so) and then no guarantee of a fresh IP

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 13:10
Cheers for the help, but it doesn't solve everything! - I did a search on google to change an NTL ip, i found an articile to change your mac address, and reset the modem, maybe that's crap, and probally against NTL tos?

Nemesis
22-03-2005, 13:14
definately against the TOS.

The Mac is used to identify you ... you change it, and you run the risk of disconnection.

Doofy
22-03-2005, 13:16
Am not sure of ip changes but i had the same problem, i had been wrongfully banned off a quake 3 freezetag server by my ip address. I tried rebooting my SACM no go, eventually i chnged from ethrnet to a usb connection for a few days, got a new ip on usb connection few days later went back to ethernet and obtained a new ip that way.

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 13:16
Thought so. Could an experienced NTL technican/customer answer my questions? :) thanks

badnbusy
22-03-2005, 13:46
You can change your IP in a few ways, but they may not be viable to you.

1) Install/use a different network card
2) If you have a router, change the WAN MAC address from its config pages
3) Leave your modem off for a good 24 hours and hope someone else is allocated your IP, forcing you to get a new one
4) Swap from using USB to Ethernet (or vice-verca) on your modem

A quick call to ntl on 0800 0522000 is all thats needed for your free upgrade if you are having trouble upgrading online. They will upgrade you straight away on your request.

Formatting your PC won't solve question 2 (Connection refused).

Either:

1) You were banned
2) A firewall or other device is blocking your connection to IRC port 6667

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 15:01
You can change your IP in a few ways, but they may not be viable to you.

1) Install/use a different network card
2) If you have a router, change the WAN MAC address from its config pages
3) Leave your modem off for a good 24 hours and hope someone else is allocated your IP, forcing you to get a new one
4) Swap from using USB to Ethernet (or vice-verca) on your modem

A quick call to ntl on 0800 0522000 is all thats needed for your free upgrade if you are having trouble upgrading online. They will upgrade you straight away on your request.

Formatting your PC won't solve question 2 (Connection refused).

Either:

1) You were banned
2) A firewall or other device is blocking your connection to IRC port 6667

If i'm banned, i would be able to connect, but with an auto deny message, then disconnection, also it's not a port block as my BNC(bouncer connection) is on 1330 and ive tried varoius quakenet ports...

Stephen
22-03-2005, 15:13
I am sure that turning off your PC and switching off the modem for an hour or so should give you a new IP when you restart.

jtwn
22-03-2005, 15:58
Sorry, that doesn't work.

yer nice one
22-03-2005, 17:14
The only way is to change the network card, otherwise your be waiting till NTL reboot there DHCP servers... and that could take months...

jtwn
22-03-2005, 17:55
I'll stick to changing mac address of router, i know that works for sure.

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 17:58
Also against the TOS, probally

I'm going to format but require new info, disc etc.

badnbusy
22-03-2005, 19:39
Also against the TOS, probally

I'm going to format but require new info, disc etc.

formatting the PC wont matter. If its a cable modem, its already registered, it will just *work* when the OS has been reinstalled (after installing USB drivers if you use that, of course) - There is no need to re-register.

Also, changing your own routers WAN MAC address is perfectly legal, it's nothing to do with ntl :)

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2005, 19:56
The IP addy that is seen by the internet, and thus the one that you are getting banned by it that allocated by ntl's network to your Cable Modem, Or Set Top Box. Whatever you do or change to any equipment that you have behind the modem/STB will have no effect on the IP addy the internet sees. Thuse wiping and reinstalling your PC would have no effect, similarly changing MAC addy of a router or replacing a network card, has little chance of success.

The only way you will get a new IP addy is for your modem/STB to release the existing one. ntl's network, presumably operates like most networks, with an IP "lease" allocated for a period of time, often 24 hours, sometimes longer, rarely shorter. Even if you turn off whatever has the connection, the lease continues until expiry time. Thus you switch the device back on a couple of hours later and it still has the same IP. Occasionally you can be lucky and find you have disconnected, and get a new IP when reconnecting, but that is because conincidentally the lease expired and your old IP got reallocated to someone else. IP addys are allocated at random, first come first served.

Thus to guarantee a change of IP, your devices connected to the ntl network (modem / STB) need to be off for longer than the maximum lease, and when you do reconnect, somebody else will have to have already been alocated your old IP.

Of course a change in the network conditions can also trigger a new IP allocation, hence the advice to upgrade / downgrade your boradband connection.

Somehow changing the MAC addy of the modem / STB would also do it, as effectively the ntl network will see that as a new device, needeing a new lease. But to do that would be against your terms of service, so we don't even go there.

Tezcatlipoca
22-03-2005, 20:04
The IP addy that is seen by the internet, and thus the one that you are getting banned by it that allocated by ntl's network to your Cable Modem, Or Set Top Box. Whatever you do or change to any equipment that you have behind the modem/STB will have no effect on the IP addy the internet sees. Thuse wiping and reinstalling your PC would have no effect, similarly changing MAC addy of a router or replacing a network card, has little chance of success.

Changing the MAC address of the device connected to the SACM/STB (e.g. the PC, or router, or whatever) can cause an IP change (as the DHCP server would see a different MAC address - a different device - connecting & asking for an IP).

Also, some info on IPs here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html#long

Calum.W
22-03-2005, 20:53
I've installed a firewall, and IRC is working fine.

MikeyB
22-03-2005, 23:27
ntl's network, presumably operates like most networks, with an IP "lease" allocated for a period of time, often 24 hours, sometimes longer, rarely shorter.

Just out of curiosity, taken a look at my ipconfig /all
The lease I have is for 7 days...