PDA

View Full Version : How To Jump Start A Car

skyblueheroes
22-03-2005, 10:55
This may sound really naive, but I have never had to jump start my car after the battery died.

However, last night I left the lights on :dunce: , and lo and behold, its as dead as a dodo.

So, how do I do it ? I have the leads, I have the old mans car, so do I just connect and try to start mine ? How long do I need to run for ??

Its a Mk2 Golf (88).

goldoni
22-03-2005, 11:03
The best bet is connect the jump leads to the dead battery red on the positive side + and black on the Negative †“ then without them touching connect the negative lead to the good Battery Black and then the Positive Red. Start the other vehicle and then try to start yours.
Me Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m waiting for my battery to quick charge as I also left my lights on :banghead:

BBKing
22-03-2005, 11:04
What works for me is a lead that goes from the lighter socket on the donor car to that on the dead car - start engine in donor, run for five minutes or so, disconnect lead, start car. I've used it three times (I leave my lights on a lot!) and it's been flawless every time. No mucking about under the bonnet. I carry it in the glovebox now.

Aragorn
22-03-2005, 11:06
And once you've got it started, make sure you keep it going for at least 1/2 hour to build up a charge - go for a long drive in the countryside :)

Mick
22-03-2005, 11:09
Do you not have an annoying audio warning to say you have left the lights on, if you open your driver door to get out? :)

STONEISLAND
22-03-2005, 11:12
Bump start is just as easy. Nutraul down a hill 2nd gear away you go.

joker
22-03-2005, 11:13
You can jump start a car in two ways.

The first one would be to get the car on a hill turn the ignition till its on and then set off rolling (with the clutch down). Once you have built up some speed but it into second gear and bring the clutch up whilst the car is rolling, should then start up if you if build up enough speed.

The other one is to use the jump leads.

The wires are normally colour coded so it is fairly straight forward. First connect the Black (-) to wire the black wire on the battery is located on one car and then do it to the other.

Repeat the process for the red cables (+), try and keep sparking to a minimum, also be careful and don't let the leads touch or you may cause some damage to the alternator.

Start the good car up and let it run for 2 to 5 minutes on idle (no need to rev the engine as such) and then try and start your car. Depending on how flat the battery is it should start up.

Once you have it up and running take it on a long drive. If fact I would put the battery on charge over night just to make sure it is fully charged again.

HTH

SMHarman
22-03-2005, 11:14
Or if it is a manual gearbox, turn everything off, heater, lights, fan etc, turn the ignition on, put the car in second gear, push the clutch down, get a couple of your mates to push it and then engage the clutch gently this should turn the engine over and get it running. Don't stall it or your mates will get really hacked off.

skyblueheroes
22-03-2005, 11:15
Do you not have an annoying audio warning to say you have left the lights on, if you open your driver door to get out? :)

No, thats what gets me everytime. Plus that when the indicator is left on one side, the light stays on......... :p:

Mick
22-03-2005, 11:16
I always thought putting the car in reverse gear and then pushing backwards started the battery better than going forwards, tried it once when I saw a group of lads who were struggling to get a car started pushing it forward, I advised them to stick the gears in reverse and push the car backwards - the car started, no messing. :cool:

gazzae
22-03-2005, 11:18
I've done that in the past a few times. Now I have the benefits of automatic headlights :)

blackthorn
22-03-2005, 11:19
The correct way is, first connect positive end to dead battery +
then positive end on good battery +
Then negative to good battery - and then negative to good metal base on the car with the dead battery.

To disconnect, do the above in reverse order.

zoombini
22-03-2005, 11:21
Doesn't this potentially cause damage to the catalytic converter?

I was told that it can flood unspent petrol into it & cause it harm.
And not to bump start a Zetec engine.

Does anyone know the truth of this?

goldoni
22-03-2005, 11:21
I have, but this only works if you have the ignition key in, then it goes mad with bleeps as soon as you open the door. But I returned to the van last night to get some books and I must have knocked the lights on. :mad:

zoombini
22-03-2005, 11:30
Then the buzzer needs to be rewired.
It's positive should go to the light's switched +12v & it's negative to the courtesy light -v (I.E. drivers door switch).

It sounds like it goes via the switched 12v for the ignition somehow which is not quite right.

SMHarman
22-03-2005, 11:41
Doesn't this potentially cause damage to the catalytic converter?
It's a Mk2 '88 Golf - I don't imagine there is a Cat fitted, but yes bump starting a cat fitted car can do this, as can keeping trying to start a cat car where the engine turns over but does not fire (the opposite problem of the Original Poster).

No idea bout Zetec engines, cannot see why they would be any different to any other engine though, you could probably say the same about bump starting a F355.

bopdude
22-03-2005, 12:22
when the indicator is left on one side, the light stays on......... :p:

Its called a parking light SBH :rolleyes: :D

A true story ........ a lady friend of the ex's came over to the house one day, we all got to talking and somehow got on the topic of cars, she told us the story of her light 'staying on' and that the garage had fixed it once but it was happening again now. I asked her if it was the drivers side, she said yes, I asked, did you indicate to pull onto our drive, she said yes. Follow me, I said, took her to the car and showed her how leaving the indicator arm up or down will produce a parking light :dunce: thing is the garage had chared her to 'fix' her 'problem' ... lol ........... I won't mention lady drivers, honest :p:

EDIT: this doesn't work for all makes of car :tu:

BBKing
22-03-2005, 13:07
Do you not have an annoying audio warning to say you have left the lights on, if you open your driver door to get out?

I have two cars, one has this, the other doesn't. One gets used to having it, then drives the other one, then leaves light on...

:dunce:

SMHarman
22-03-2005, 14:07
I like the SAAB approach, remove the key, everything switches off - I guess it is due to the need to have your lights on permanently in the Scandanavian countries, so having to switch them off every time you park would get annoying.
The flip side is it does mean that you can end up driving round with your lights on in the middle of the day when you forgot to turn them off the night before (and look like a scandanavian car driver).

bopdude
22-03-2005, 14:09
I like the SAAB approach, remove the key, everything switches off - I guess it is due to the need to have your lights on permanently in the Scandanavian countries, so having to switch them off every time you park would get annoying.
The flip side is it does mean that you can end up driving round with your lights on in the middle of the day when you forgot to turn them off the night before (and look like a scandanavian car driver).

I thought that was only Volvo's :shrug: :dunce:

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2005, 14:19
I was told that with most modern engines, ones that have the timing belt thingy, bump starting (the puch it along, or roll down a hill appraod) is a bad idea.

Not quite sure how, but presumably there can be a sudden strain or jerk on the timing belt, that you wouldn't get by the usual starter motor turnover. You don't want that thing to snap, as the damage to your engine would extremely expensive. :eek:

The idea of the lighter socket seems a neat trick, but if the car doesnt start immediately, I wouldn't want to rely on it. I doubt the wiring in the car would be robust to handle the current for any length of time (much in the same way you shouldn't drive along holdng the headlamp flasher switch instead of using the main beamn switch).

When jump starting using leads, the car being the donor should not have it's engine run. The donor car's alternator can get very confused. Just don't turn the dead car over for too long, if it don't start quick. You don't want two dead batteries :(

Flubflow
22-03-2005, 14:21
Warning about those cheap cigarette lighter socket jump start things...
The wiring to the lighter socket, although designed to take quite a hefty current, is not really designed for pulling through huge sustained currents as required for turning a starter motor. So if you do use these then don't go churning away on the starter for ages. If it won't start with a couple of normal bursts then give it a rest.
Some of these devices are designed simply to charge one car from the other rather than jump start and are probably protected well from surges.

bb31
22-03-2005, 18:17
makes a note to print off the instructions on which wire goes where when needing to jump start for future reference = i have the jump leads but always too scared to put them on the battery in case i do it wrong and electricute myself!

Lord Nikon
22-03-2005, 19:27
a few pointers here

1) to bump start a car forwards, use 2nd gear, leave the ignition in position II (all lights on the dashboard on, just not far enough to try to start it) get the car rolling to a reasonable speed (10+mph is ideal) then lift your foot from the clutch and touch the accelerator, the engine should start, but be ready to put your foot back on the clutch if it does. Same for reverse

2) to jump start a car, make sure the car with the GOOD battery already has the engine running BEFORE you start. This is because the flat battery will drain power from the good battery as soon as the jump leads are connected, potentially leaving you with 2 cars that won't start, Then connect the leads as described in the earlier posts.

PLEASE NOTE, SOME CARS (Mercedes A Class for one) should NEVER be jump started as it can damage the ECU (according to mercedes that is) so check the handbook first, most of them will tell you how to jump start the car anyway.

the light staying on if the indicator is on when you stop the car is a parking light, running the sidelights on one side only so if you park on the roadside away from any street lights, there is a light showing that will alert other road users to your car's presence.