PDA

View Full Version : BlueYonder Network Congestion

Ignition
22-03-2005, 10:42
So..... BY seem to be feeling the pain a little now. For those who are seeing slower speeds, here's the areas at the moment where congestion has been seen, most of these are available on the service status pages and confirmed as having issues by BY.

Edinburgh, Plymouth, Exeter, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Taunton, Paignton, Bradford, Birmingham, Uddingston.

Note this doesn't mean that all customers in these areas are suffering, however certainly some are and this is due to shortage of capacity in the affected areas.

Anyone with any other information to add please go for it, so long as it's not related to capping, this is purely looking at where BY with their current policies are struggling to keep up with demand, and to save those with speed issues in these areas from worrying too much over their set ups.

Ignition
22-03-2005, 14:40
Add Newcastle Upon Tyne to the list, someone with issues recently there had the following back from BY technical support:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email to blueyonder Technical Support.

I have made an adjustment to the way your modem connects to the network. Previously you were connected to an Upstream with a relatively high utilisation rate, this would explain the slow speeds. I have moved the modem so it now connects to an upstream with a much lower utilisation rate.

Bit of a cause for concern there in that they didn't just rearrange the load between all the upstreams, implies there's too much load to run across all upstreams without causing issues on all of them :(

Anyway there's another Newcastle Upon Tyne

Ignition
22-03-2005, 15:17
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=blueyonder&Number=1731824&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0

Add Barnsley

Respect for the 10Mbit trial but a bit concerning that I've been able with a little on and off searching this morning to find all this.

eshaq786
22-03-2005, 16:19
Speeds seem fine here in Birmingham
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=ea005cbd102cb0e66a8ea005cbd

Ignition
22-03-2005, 20:13
Speeds seem fine here in Birmingham
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=ea005cbd102cb0e66a8ea005cbd

Note this doesn't mean that all customers in these areas are suffering, however certainly some are and this is due to shortage of capacity in the affected areas.

a1dutch
28-03-2005, 00:49
you can deffinatly add newcastle get problems most weekends with pings going up to 200-300 to a uk site, have contacted them several times only to be told that its because of the contention and and usage of the line. they've swapped the upstream channels many times to no avail.

Ignition
28-03-2005, 07:30
you can deffinatly add newcastle get problems most weekends with pings going up to 200-300 to a uk site, have contacted them several times only to be told that its because of the contention and and usage of the line. they've swapped the upstream channels many times to no avail.

Already there sir: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=431242&postcount=2

hoofner
14-12-2005, 16:25
can add Bristol on there too. had the problem in my last house and just moved and have the same again. I also know a bunch of people with the same problem in other parts of bristol and gloucester too.

Chrysalis
16-12-2005, 21:06
well its good how they admit what the cause of the issue and give them respect for that rather then fobbing people off.

Chris W
16-12-2005, 21:08
but not good that 9months since this thread was created people are still having the same problems....

Rooked
22-12-2005, 12:31
Its all very well moving customers to different upstreams - but - as soon as the modem is turned off - rebooted - you will be automatically back on the upsteam that you initially had the problem with. Telewest will not sort out the utilisation issues untill enough people call tech support complaining. There are lots of users on BY with ancient old pc's jammed up with spyware that dont even know how fast there broadband should be, chances are they wont be complaining. So i guess the best was to get it resolved is to call tech support and make the problem known in vast numbers.

hoofner
22-12-2005, 12:43
Its all very well moving customers to different upstreams - but - as soon as the modem is turned off - rebooted - you will be automatically back on the upsteam that you initially had the problem with. Telewest will not sort out the utilisation issues untill enough people call tech support complaining. There are lots of users on BY with ancient old pc's jammed up with spyware that dont even know how fast there broadband should be, chances are they wont be complaining. So i guess the best was to get it resolved is to call tech support and make the problem known in vast numbers.

Not sure that's true tbh. At my present place telewest have changed my upstream channel and iv rebooted my modem quite a few times and it's still on the same channel. Perhaps it goes back if you're setting the channel at your end (i.e using the modem's interface). I cant confirm how that side works as im not sure when i had the motorola surfboard if we ever rebooted the modem