PDA

View Full Version : Repeatedly losing connection -set top box

dannero
21-03-2005, 17:52
Hi,

If I leave my machine inactive for a couple of hours, when I return I have lost my connection. The grenn light is still on, but I have to disconnect/reconnect the set top[ box to the mains and restart my pc to regain the connection. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem/ or even better have a solution.

Cheers

Paul K
21-03-2005, 17:54
Do you have any type of firewall or router between the pc and the STB? Also what type of Set Top Box is it as there have been problems with some of the Pace units

dannero
21-03-2005, 17:57
I have norton internet security running. It is a pace box, apparently I will be receiving a new box when my conection speed is upgraded.

Paul K
21-03-2005, 18:02
How long has the connection drop out been occuring? Also what part of the country are you in?

dannero
21-03-2005, 18:05
Ever since I got it about 6 months ago - I've just put up with it (out of laziness). I live in Walthamstow, East London.

Paul K
21-03-2005, 18:10
Ever since I got it about 6 months ago - I've just put up with it (out of laziness). I live in Walthamstow, East London.
Check your firewall settings and report it to NTL CS as you may need the signal levels tweaking if it's been a constant problem. No point putting up with it when you get your nice new Samsung and your faster connection ;)
Have a look through here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/security.html) for more info but if you have problems then post back and someone can hep step you through your settings to make sure you aren't blocking any info that the STB needs to receive to make sure your connection is running properly.

dannero
21-03-2005, 18:34
Many thanks. I'll check it out.

I know it's off topic - But is this router suitable:

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/BELWLG04

AdamD
21-03-2005, 21:49
You're not the only one who has this problem, I get it all the time with my Pace box.

*DJB*
22-03-2005, 16:40
Had the NTL techies out 3 times to my Pace box with the same problem, drove me nuts, in the end they changed it for a Samsung box, no more disconnects :)

Dave