PDA

View Full Version : Security Brick Wall

Mike
20-03-2005, 13:49
Security Brick Wall

Someone tried to break into my shed last night having climbed over a brick wall. I heard them and they legged it.

Having looked at the area the shed is visible from the footpath and I cannot really move it. Any suggestions on how to stop anyone climbing over the wall. I could put some nasty plants there but that would take time and I like the wall. I did wonder if they is any thing I could paint on the top so itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not visible form the garden but would stop any one having a go.

What do you think !

Thanks

Mike

Derek
20-03-2005, 13:58
You can get anti-vandal paint but I wouldn't put it past some little scrote to try and claim for damages if they got it on their clothes.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47&

Of course the parents would say their little angels were just climbing over the wall for fun :rolleyes:

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/AntiVandal.html

ian@huth
20-03-2005, 14:01
Quite a few if you google http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&q=anti+climb+paint&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

greencreeper
20-03-2005, 14:03
Maybe a few of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101493&ts=27358

Raistlin
20-03-2005, 14:12
Carpet gripper rods nalied to the top.....

Tuftus
20-03-2005, 14:21
Where I used to live up north it was common to see broken glass on the tops of Garden walls...

Somehow I dont think you can get away with that anymore though...

;)

Escapee
20-03-2005, 14:25

Thats my suggestion as well, they are very effective.

I have them myself on top of a 6ft wooden fence after a teenager attempted to get in via the back of my property by coming up the embankment from the road. My friend also fitted them after some teenagers kept getting over his back garden fence to steal. (They dont half cut the little thieves hands to shreds)

I also have barbed wire coiled behind the fence, and some more in the undergrowth at the end of my property. All this is legal inside a perimeter fence, despite what the Liberals try to say.

Looking forward to the summer, so I can install an electric fence!

Breaking into sheds, garages and houses have increased dramatically in our area in the last 12 months or so.

Flubflow
20-03-2005, 14:26

Then they'd just put a piece of nice carpet over them and then climb over. :)

I remember that gooey anti-climb stuff used to be known as "goose grease" when I was a kid. Better off using actual live geese. They scare the willies out of me. ;)

greencreeper
20-03-2005, 14:32
It might be an idea to put up a warning notice so that if you are sued, you can always say, "Well the warning sign was there"

You could always build the wall higher :D

Nidge
20-03-2005, 14:44

I got them on my wall it does the trick :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Escapee
20-03-2005, 16:53
Then they'd just put a piece of nice carpet over them and then climb over. :)

I remember that gooey anti-climb stuff used to be known as "goose grease" when I was a kid. Better off using actual live geese. They scare the willies out of me. ;)

Yep, think I told the story here before.

One of the guys in work with me has a share in a business that happens to have a shop with a yard at the back and at the time about 4 brand new Mercedes vans. They got over the high wall broke into all the vans by ripping the back doors off their hinges, and stole all the tools and contents. He got his welder out the weekend after the breakin and made some large channel sections with razor wire coiled above the wall, he said that should stop them.

Less than a month later they broke into the carpet shop, stole a roll of carpet and used it to get over the razor wire!

You have to be crafty and play the game, if they get over my fence there is a nice sturdy looking timber for them to stand on. The fence is on top of a 6 foot high stone retaining wall, the only thing is I have put more barbed wire under the fence between the garage and stone wall.

Oh, and the sturdy looking timber is designed not to take too much weight, it's designed to let them fall into the coiled barbed wire.

Stuff the Liberals ;)

Maggy
20-03-2005, 19:53
Why not ask your nice local bobby what you can do?On the QT of course. ;)

Personally I reckon a nice large guard dog would scare me.I think they would avoid your place if they got barked at.And of course if it didn't you could always make sure there was some sort interesting smelling stuff on the wall to get on their clothes that the dog would just HAVE to investigate.... ;)

paulyoung666
20-03-2005, 20:00

i was going to post that , i would add onto it though , a nice coating of thick grease to hide it ;) , then the *******s wouldnt see it before it ripped there hands to shreds :tu: :D :D :D :D

zoombini
21-03-2005, 10:01
It would need to be visible, otherwise you'll get into deeper mire than you already are having them there.

Many people have been told that putting broken glass on thier walkls could ned up in thier being prosecuted, so I assume that gripper rods are the same.

I built my wall higher & removed any footholds on the outside.

Doesnt stop em, just makes it harder.
How about rebuilding the shed out of bricks with steel doors :D

handyman
21-03-2005, 10:08
I have glass on my back wall with steel spike where the gate is. Plus theres razor wire round the top as well and my cat just walks right through it :eek:

Halcyon
21-03-2005, 11:17
Yeah I've seen people but bits of pointy glass into cement on their walls.
It seems to be effective.

Richard M
21-03-2005, 12:05
I'd put up a large sign saying "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again". :D

ScaredWebWarrior
21-03-2005, 12:20
I'd put up a large sign saying "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again". :D

What, and hope the g!ts laugh themself silly and then fail to have the strength to climb the wall? :)

I must admit, that while I believe entirely that glass/razor wire etc. on your wall/fence is a perfectly reasonable defense of your property, with all of these measures you have to consider that it may land you in trouble in court - I suggest you check your position carefully, because you'll feel much more aggrieved if you end up in bother over it.

As for rigging your fence so anyone climbing over then falls onto barbed wire, this would count as a trap and that a definite no-no and indefensible in court.

My personal favourite has to be one or two huge, quiet - but ferociously protective - Rotweilers roaming your garden. I'd love to see the colour of their trousers when they drop over the fence/wall to find 'the boys' waiting for them...

Mike
21-03-2005, 12:36
What, and hope the g!ts laugh themself silly and then fail to have the strength to climb the wall? :)

I must admit, that while I believe entirely that glass/razor wire etc. on your wall/fence is a perfectly reasonable defense of your property, with all of these measures you have to consider that it may land you in trouble in court - I suggest you check your position carefully, because you'll feel much more aggrieved if you end up in bother over it.

As for rigging your fence so anyone climbing over then falls onto barbed wire, this would count as a trap and that a definite no-no and indefensible in court.

My personal favourite has to be one or two huge, quiet - but ferociously protective - Rotweilers roaming your garden. I'd love to see the colour of their trousers when they drop over the fence/wall to find 'the boys' waiting for them...

Interesting points..................the area is OK so the thought of putting things like razor wire (although I grateful for) does not really 'sit' well and would really draw attention. I think I was just unlucky that a group coming back from the pub ****ed thought it would be good for a laugh to have a look in my shed. I think I get a couple of bigger patch locks so when they next have a look it will put them off. I did think about lighting but because it's a sort of dead area at the side of the house and they would be unseen such lighting could assist them !!!!

I do like the idea of a few chose signs ... guard dog/high voltage/ 'shed alarmed!!!. which may make people think twice.

Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming :Yikes:

Mike

Escapee
21-03-2005, 12:53

My collapsing timber, is not a trap! It's just a piece of timber used to secure the barbed wire across the length. The fact that it looks like a good place to put your foot on if you climb over the fence, but doesn't support the weight does not make it a trap.

Why would I make ity strong enough to support someones weight if it was only to nail the barbed wire to. ;)

The guy I work with living out in the sticks, has a couple of infra-red break beam detectors. They are wired to a voice recording module that contains the sample of a dog barking, this is amplified and fed to a speaker by the back door with a stepper motor that rattles a piece of wood fitted to the shaft to make it sound like theres a dog inside clawing at the door!

paulyoung666
21-03-2005, 13:28
My collapsing timber, is not a trap! It's just a piece of timber used to secure the barbed wire across the length. The fact that it looks like a good place to put your foot on if you climb over the fence, but doesn't support the weight does not make it a trap.

Why would I make ity strong enough to support someones weight if it was only to nail the barbed wire to. ;)

The guy I work with living out in the sticks, has a couple of infra-red break beam detectors. They are wired to a voice recording module that contains the sample of a dog barking, this is amplified and fed to a speaker by the back door with a stepper motor that rattles a piece of wood fitted to the shaft to make it sound like theres a dog inside clawing at the door!

sounds good to me :tu:

ScaredWebWarrior
21-03-2005, 13:34

That sounds a cool 'alarm' system.

On the whole, if you can somehow disturb the intruder's sense of security (i.e. light, noise, movement) they'll likely move on to somewhere else.

On the subject of the 'anti climbing' paint - I recently saw a building which, for a long time, had a sign about this - the sign is now almost completely obscured by one of those spinning razor wire things. LOL.

My collapsing timber, is not a trap!

It was the way you previously described it, and what I was saying that it could be argued that way, in which case you'd have a tough job defending yourself.

I do like the idea of a few chose signs ... guard dog/high voltage/ 'shed alarmed!!!. which may make people think twice.

I'd avoid anything like 'high voltage' which would actually be illegal as a deterrent, as an intruder might know that, and hence realise the sign is the only defence there is.

Tuftus
21-03-2005, 13:49
Does it not all boil down to a simple point?

If they are not on your property (or trying to gain access) then they will not get harmed.

This country has gotten far too P.C.

Oh and before everyone come on saying what if a child needs to retreive a lost ball, simple, do what we all used to do when we were kids - knock on the door and say please!

ScaredWebWarrior
21-03-2005, 14:05
Does it not all boil down to a simple point?

If they are not on your property (or trying to gain access) then they will not get harmed.

This country has gotten far too P.C.

Oh and before everyone come on saying what if a child needs to retreive a lost ball, simple, do what we all used to do when we were kids - knock on the door and say please!

Don't get me wrong - personally I think intruders forego their rights the moment they choose to break in (or climb into a garden without just cause.) My advice against some of the ideas suggested here is because I think it's better to be aware of the risks of them, rather than that I necessarily disagree with them.

But to illustrate the flip-side of this issue - last November as the fireworks were streaming into the sky, at the back a rocket failed to go up properly, and instead on a direct course for an upstairs bedroom window of the house that backs onto us and the neighbours. It landed on the window sill, exploded and popped inside. (Sounds unlikely? Well, I saw it happen!)
While I dialled 999 for the fire brigade, my well-meaning neighbour hopped over the fence to raise the alarm at the house (turned out fortunately no-one was in) and to try and deal with the fire. (He really should have left it to the professionals, but that's another issue.)
Fortunately for him, the absent residents had not activated any 'defence mechanisms'.

So it's not simply a matter of being PC.

Also, I'd hate to have to turn my home/garden into a fortress - rather makes one feel like a prisoner.

Escapee
21-03-2005, 15:57

It was the way you previously described it, and what I was saying that it could be argued that way, in which case you'd have a tough job defending yourself.

I never have a tough job defending myself, the cricket bat comes in handy. ;)

paulyoung666
21-03-2005, 16:25
I never have a tough job defending myself, the cricket bat comes in handy. ;)

:disturbd: :D :D :D

dont fancy nipping round here and sorting some of the local **** out do you ?????? :D

Ramrod
21-03-2005, 16:48
homeoffice.gov (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs2/hs_safesecure2.html)
If you use barbed or razor wire, under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 you must take reasonable precautions to prevent injury to other people caused by dangers on your property. If you are building a wall on the boundary with your neighbour, you may need your neighbourâ₠¬â„¢s permission (under the Party Wall Act). If you live somewhere, such as an estate, where there are building restrictions in force, you may need to get special permission.

.........so it seems possible that you might be able to use razor/barbed wire

Escapee
21-03-2005, 19:37
homeoffice.gov (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs2/hs_safesecure2.html)

.........so it seems possible that you might be able to use razor/barbed wire

Exactly how I understood it. ie: you cannot have a piddly little 3ft high fence with barbed wire on it, however you can have a substantial fence with barbed wire out of reach.

You could have a 6ft high fence with the top bent back into your own property with barbed wire on top, because there is no way that any child or law abiding citizen is going to get injured without attempting to climb over.

The law is no different for Buckingham palace to any other house.

greencreeper
22-03-2005, 00:11
The law is no different for Buckingham palace to any other house.
True, though you're not likely to find someone on your balcony dressed as Batman.

:p:

Maggy
22-03-2005, 00:17
Now I wouldn't mind a real Batman on my balcony but the sort that turn up at the Palace are rather wrinkled looking...Them I'm likely to just push off my balcony... ;)

greencreeper
22-03-2005, 00:20
Now I wouldn't mind a real Batman on my balcony but the sort that turn up at the Palace are rather wrinkled looking...Them I'm likely to just push off my balcony... ;)
Well at last we have something in common Coggy - a liking for men in rubber :erm: :D

Maggy
22-03-2005, 00:26
Well at last we have something in common Coggy - a liking for men in rubber :erm: :D

Well personally I'd rather have Antonio Banderas or failing him Jonny Depp.Them I wouldn't push off...I'd tie them up quick... :D

I dunno what the answer is for us plebs.The rich and famous have no trouble getting good security and I bet they have glass on top of their walls.... ;)