PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated IP Addresses?

darant
19-03-2005, 12:57
Hi All,

Very long time no post for me here.... Is there any update or word on NTL offering dedicated IP addresses?

With the recent service upgrade (thank you VERY much) which is a step further to giving customers more satisfaction in service, has the dedicated add on option been discussed or been mentioned in the wonderful world on NTL?

ALL info greatly appreciated.

Daran

jtwn
19-03-2005, 13:15
The xbox service gives two ip addresses, not sure whether they are static though. Business does. But then again, I never seem to lose my ip address anymore.

etccarmageddon
19-03-2005, 13:35
you tend to only lose your IP address if you shut down your cable modem and then only if you leave it for a few hours.

Tezcatlipoca
19-03-2005, 17:14
The xbox service gives two ip addresses, not sure whether they are static though. Business does. But then again, I never seem to lose my ip address anymore.

The XBox service's IPs are not static.

Graham M
20-03-2005, 00:30
My IP has only changed in the last year since I got my upgrade to 2MBit

OinkyBoinky
20-03-2005, 00:55
My IP has only changed in the last year since I got my upgrade to 2MBit

same here... the 2mb upgarde has been the only time in 14 months that i had to update the ds of a subdomain on my website lol

xathras
20-03-2005, 02:28
Hi All,

Very long time no post for me here.... Is there any update or word on NTL offering dedicated IP addresses?

With the recent service upgrade (thank you VERY much) which is a step further to giving customers more satisfaction in service, has the dedicated add on option been discussed or been mentioned in the wonderful world on NTL?

ALL info greatly appreciated.

Daran

It would be good news for this service to appear soon, although the "dynamic" ip address seem to be static, due to the DHCP leasing mechanism generally an IP lease keep the same.

fatboy
20-03-2005, 14:04
There are no plans for static IP addys to be amde available to residential customers. Even business broadband does not get true static IP's. These are actually long lease DHCP addys.

Chrysalis
20-03-2005, 20:46
I have a question?

I really hate it when my ip changes, and this week for 3 days my pc will be unplugged as I am taking it somewhere, but if I leave the modem turned on will it keep my ip activated to me? As I dont want to lose it.

Toto
20-03-2005, 21:55
I have a question?

I really hate it when my ip changes, and this week for 3 days my pc will be unplugged as I am taking it somewhere, but if I leave the modem turned on will it keep my ip activated to me? As I dont want to lose it.

Possibly not, the IP address is allocated to the client MAC address of the network connection, not the actual modem. The client MAC address would be the MAC address of your NIC, if you are using ethernet as the modem connection.

If of course you have a router etween your modem and PC, and you leave the router on, then you may well keep the IP address currently assigned to you.