PDA

View Full Version : Netgear MR814 v2 Problem

MrB
18-03-2005, 14:55
I have read through this and various other forums but cannot seem to find the answer to my problem, hence I will post here and keep my fingers crossed that readers of Cable Forum in the NTL Broadband area may have an idea what to do.

I have this week bought a Netgear MR814v2 router so that I can use wireless on two computers in our house (was hard wired ethernet). This will be linking in to an NTL Pace Set-Top Box (1MB). When I followed the instructions on Thursday, plugged ethernet lead from modem to router, the computers picked up the connection straight away and, once I had registered the Router on the NTL sign up, rebooted and it worked all day - I could access the internet and the other computer without a problem.

Friday morning I switched on the computers, could and can still see each computer and the router on the network (and can access the router settings) but it will not pick up/renew the internet connection. When I checked in the settings, it showed that the IP "expired" on the day I set up the computer (since then, I tried to renew and it came back as 0.0.0.0.0 or something similar).

I have both computers and the router set up to get the IP allocated dynamically by the ISP, have changed no other settings, but it will not let me access the internet. To problem solve, I tried changing the MAC settings so that this was spoofed from my original computer, to no effect. I also tried running the ethernet from the router to my computer but again, as the problem seems to be the modem to router rather than beyond, this only let me link computers and not see the internet. By unplugging the router, rewiring the ethernet link and rebooting I can access the internet again no problem, hence I have to assume that it is something to do with the router settings (or the router :( ).

I have read on other boards that sometimes you have to set the MTU (?) to a specific number for some ISPs but cannot find a reference to this on NTLs instructions - it is currently set at 1500. Another site mentioned changing a setting on Port forwarding as with some ISPs it is something to do with packet loss (believe the figure was 65000) but not sure what this does or if it would solve it.

I would welcome any ideas as I am at a loss :confused: what I need to do to keep the connection short of returning the router and sticking with a wired network (not really an option as the wires trail around the house and this is proving unpopular with my wife ;) ).

Many thanks

Mr B

Raistlin
18-03-2005, 15:18
Your best bet is to have a look through the control panel for the router, is there an option in there for enabling a DHCP service?

This should allow the router to automatically renew the lease on your IP address which should alleviate your problem.

Maybe.....

I'll have a look around and see if I can find any other information on your router that might help you.

You might find something on this page that helps:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/MR814v2.asp

MrB
18-03-2005, 16:21
Thank you - the settings are set to pick up the new IP address automatically and did on the first attempt, but as I mention, it hasn't picked them up again after the first day with no change in settings, which is the puzzle.

I have looked and worked through the Netgear instructions but to no avail (and their forum seems to identify a number of routers with this sort of problem - but none of the solutions work), therefore wondered if it was something specific to NTL that anyone had experience of? I know that NTL allow routers as there is information on their website,

Kind regards
MrB

Mr Wonka
18-03-2005, 17:57
Take a look at:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25770 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25770)

I seem to be suffering the exact same problem. What day did the loss occur?
What area do you live in? This may be a Netgear issue as I've tried another new router from them (different model) and I'm still getting this failure.

I've not heard back from Monkeybreath, and apparently all my messing around has caused further problems. :(

Hope you figure something out.

Mr Wonka

TIP: Ring Netgear support later in the day (5:30+) to get an english person. Living in England.

MrB
19-03-2005, 09:32
I seem to think that it is a problem with one of the settings in the router but not sure which. It worked on the first day, first time plugged in no problem. Since then I haven't been able to get the internet connection(through the router - now disconnected until I solve this) as the router is not picking up the IP etc from the modem (set top box).

MrB

JohnHorb
19-03-2005, 11:15
I used to get this problem occasionally. Switching everything off, then switching on in the order

1) STB - wait until middle light steady.
2) Router - wait a few secs.
3) PC(s)

usually cured the problem. (Apologies if you've already tried all that).

MrB
19-03-2005, 22:40
I have tried the reboot sequence but unfortunately it does not make any difference - thank you for the suggestion though. Another thing noticed this evening - I have plugged in the modem (set top box) into the computer direct, rebooted and have internet access again. Inadvertently, I had left the wireless connection on (linked to the router) - this stopped any internet activity even with the modem plugged in direct. By switching off the wireless card (linked to router) it then picked up the internet connection no problem (note that the internet connection was not coming through the router at the time as I have only one wire, hence the need for the router :erm:). This would imply that there is something in the settings in the router blocking internet activity (ports?)?

MrB

c0989
22-05-2005, 20:55
I am having exactly the same problem as Mr B.

The strange thing about mine is that if I power down the router and the modem and wait say 30 mins when I power it back on I have connectivity for about 2 minutes.
The I just lose connection, at best I get windows displaying a message about "limited connectivity".
AT this point I cannot connect to even the routers default setup page.
Ironically all worked fine until I shut the computer down and since then nothing.

Any help in relation to Mr B or myself is much appreciated.

PS I use the same router MR814 v2 and ntl cable modem 120