PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Connection

uksaints
18-03-2005, 14:03
Great forum, spent hours reading through, wonder if anyone could answer a question? I have a pace stb and connect to pc via usb port with adapter. I have a "linksys" ethernet card in the pc and wondered if I can connect using this as it would free a usb port and whether it would enhance or degrade performance. many thanks.

Marge
18-03-2005, 14:07
Can't see any reason why not :tu:

You may find that you may need to reboot the Set Top Box and re-register

danielf
18-03-2005, 14:10
Great forum, spent hours reading through, wonder if anyone could answer a question? I have a pace stb and connect to pc via usb port with adapter. I have a "linksys" ethernet card in the pc and wondered if I can connect using this as it would free a usb port and whether it would enhance or degrade performance. many thanks.

General consensus is that ethernet is better/more stable, and consumes less resources than usb

ian@huth
18-03-2005, 14:15
Hi uksaints and :welcome: to CableForum.

Ethernet is rightly regarded as the best method of connecting to NTL broadband. Have a look at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html for reasons why and how to do it.

uksaints
18-03-2005, 21:22
Just like to say thanks for all your helpfull advice, I tried it and after re registering it worked. Great forum this!

Halcyon
18-03-2005, 23:09
Yep this forum is definately a great place for info, and also for the people here.
Welcome aboard.