PDA

View Full Version : Quality ads from NTL..not.

Richard M
11-09-2003, 12:53
I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but whenever there is an ad break on MTV or whatever, the last ad starts but after about 1 second an annoying NTL ad rudely "butts in" about their "amazing year's free dialup deal, saving you £120 a year!". :rolleyes:

It's not the ad which is annoying, it's the fact that it cuts in and overwrites another one, almost as if some half-asleep trained monkey in NTL has to press a button at the right moment but nearly always forgets. :afire:

I'm sure that kind of thing is illegal, I wouldn't want my costly ads overwritten like that.

Chris
11-09-2003, 14:21
Originally posted by Roger K
I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but whenever there is an ad break on MTV or whatever, the last ad starts but after about 1 second an annoying NTL ad rudely "butts in" about their "amazing year's free dialup deal, saving you £120 a year!". :rolleyes:

It's not the ad which is annoying, it's the fact that it cuts in and overwrites another one, almost as if some half-asleep trained monkey in NTL has to press a button at the right moment but nearly always forgets. :afire:

I'm sure that kind of thing is illegal, I wouldn't want my costly ads overwritten like that.

It wouldn't be illegal if the advertiser has only paid to be seen on MTV on Sky. But it still doesn't excuse the inept cutting over to the NTL advert. On Sky One, when they run one of their frequent 'upgrade to Sky' ad campaigns, you get no indication at all that you're watching a different advert than the folks who already have a dish. Presumably they're running their own machinery.

dialanothernumb
12-09-2003, 10:57
Is it the production quality of the insert you're cross about or the fact that the ads are targeted. If it's production, I agree... it's all a bit mickey mouse, but I have a Tivo, so it makes no odds to me. If you are annoyed that you get different, targeted ads, you could be blowing in the face of commercial reality here!

edit: sorry, I just read the posts properly, you are unimpressed with the cheap cut and paste. As Towny said, ads are paid for my platform, so the Advertiser would be pleased that in some cases for a brief second or two he or she gets exposure on another platform for free!!

Richard M
12-09-2003, 10:58
Yeah, it's just the production thing...after seeing the ad about 20 times it starts to get annoying! :D