PDA

View Full Version : Merged - New Dashboard

Sensei Katana
11-09-2003, 10:47
...is apparently up and available to download!

I'm still having issues getting it as I get the message 'Xbox Live is not responding - please try again later.' Anyone else on NTL get this?

From what people are saying, it's as good as it should be!

fluds
11-09-2003, 10:47
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?threadid=216434

Can any one confirm this?

fluds
11-09-2003, 10:49
We must have posted at the same time sorry.

Sensei Katana
11-09-2003, 10:50
Woooaah... telepathy *does* exist then. :D

Ste Riley
11-09-2003, 13:09
Don't get to excited its the biggest load of old crap you'll ever download on your Xbox!

It's slow and clunky, by the time you find out which friends are online you could have loaded up a game and checked your friends list from there.

Big dissapointment.... I'd like my old dashboard back!:mad:

There's even a bug in the thing that wont allow you to chat unless you unplug your DVD dongle.

Caspar
11-09-2003, 13:11
I'm checking it out now...

EDIT: Seems ok, I didn't noticed any speed issues Ste? :confused:

No-one's online so I can't test the chat out :cry: ...but it loads faster...from when you boot the XBOX, IMO...news sounds too! :p

Good so far :tu: :D

Doctor E
11-09-2003, 13:32
Can anyone confirm the DVD dongle bug? I'll try mine tonight, but is anyone has a report in the meantime ...

Nige.

Jarandco
11-09-2003, 15:56
Going to go downlaod it in a minute!

Exulus
11-09-2003, 15:58
its a bit slow loading between the screens :(

XiceWolf
11-09-2003, 16:37
its utter crap in my opinion. The old dash was way faster to loading friends list and thats all i want really. This should be able to be turned off. It would be cool if you could play music over the dash and talk at the same time, if i could do that i would consider using it.

Jarandco
11-09-2003, 16:53
You can turn it off well your supposed to be able to!!!!

also i went to account management and looked at my subscription it says it runs out this december!!!! :eek: this cant be right - our free beta testing was supposed to last untill march 14th so our next subscription should start march 14th!!

Exulus
11-09-2003, 17:07
Originally posted by Jarandco

also i went to account management and looked at my subscription it says it runs out this december!!!! :eek: this cant be right - our free beta testing was supposed to last untill march 14th so our next subscription should start march 14th!!

I noticed the same thing. Says it expires on christmas day! :eek: It better bloody not ;)

Mark15
11-09-2003, 17:08
downloading just now but its taking its sweet time

Dooby
11-09-2003, 17:11
Originally posted by Jarandco

yeah, that was mentioned when people signed up to the beta, its cos the date displayed there comes from a system that doesnt know about the extra free months or something, apparently the subscription is definitely to march, but that system thinks ALL subscriptions are 12 months from signup ( I am guessing you activated your account in december?)

Exulus
11-09-2003, 17:12
Originally posted by Mark15
downloading just now but its taking its sweet time

yep it takes about 5-10 mins!

Reddevil63
11-09-2003, 17:41
Only took 3 minutes to download and think what they have done is great!!!

Ok, so the loading screens take a while to show but it ain't that long!!!
At least MS are trying to do something right by enhancing the service and that in my book is fine by me. You will always get people who don't like this and that but thats life.

Like the way the menus are set out. Also nice to see is an option to Auto Sign-in when you boot up your Xbox.

Talking about subs, mine says expires 28 November 2003 but as someone has already mentioned, its an error and we don't pay til March 2004....beta and test drive players only.

I see even the network settings has moved to the Main Menu settings page.

Seen the sub fees and £39.99 per year or current price at that time is reasonable and the £4.99 per month option will probably be favoured by loads of people who only play Live now and again.

Exulus
11-09-2003, 17:54
reddevil, where is the option to sign in automatically on boot? :)

ic14
11-09-2003, 17:58
Whoop a dee do, a new dash..... Like i use it that much

Reddevil63
11-09-2003, 18:07
Originally posted by Exulus
reddevil, where is the option to sign in automatically on boot? :)

Go to SETTINGS on the Main Menu, where you set the clock etc.

Jarandco
11-09-2003, 18:11
Really sweet better just check that i shud possibly do that aswell espocially when i connect my pc and xbox together!

Exulus
11-09-2003, 18:36
Originally posted by Reddevil63
Go to SETTINGS on the Main Menu, where you set the clock etc.

ah ok cheers!

ic14
11-09-2003, 19:06
I like it, It is a bit slow though. But it feels more connected to the xbox dash.

Reddevil63
11-09-2003, 19:06
Auto Sign-In is enabled by default.

zoombini
11-09-2003, 20:31
Alreet red you old bugger you, dunno about wise though..lol

My subscription said 9/12/2003 which could be tommorrow if using the US date system!

Better not be 39.99 going out of my account then. An obvious cock up, but only to be expected.

I can understand a slight slowness as others come online and there is a lot of data being downloaded etc as more are being updated.
I like the chat facility, as well as being able to join chats and bring other into a chat room where we can decide what game to play and talk tactics etc. Excellent.
Also the ability to auto log on, except I wont be using that (stops the kid!).

Zoom.

Boom
12-09-2003, 07:35
No more paying for phone calls to friends/family in the US and Canada who have XBL. This is great. VoIP is beautiful. :D

Originally posted by ic14
Whoop a dee do, a new dash..... Like i use it that much

Caspar
12-09-2003, 09:06
Originally posted by Boom
No more paying for phone calls to friends/family in the US and Canada who have XBL. This is great. VoIP is beautiful. :D

you wait until they start adding VoIP advertisements!!!! or VoIP Spam! (whilst you are using it or loging into XBL chat) :spin:

Tezcatlipoca
12-09-2003, 21:57
Just downloaded it.

Hmm.

Old Dash:

Annoying un-skippable intro that you have to sit through before you get to the XBL menus, but.....

The Friends List loads up nice & fast. :)

New Dash:

Straight to the Live menus, with no stupid slow intro. Nicely laid out & so on. But...

The Friends List loads up quite slowly. As does everything else. :(

I haven't tried the voice chat yet.

Br1an_g
14-09-2003, 09:04
well,

i got the dash first time, took about 4 minutes (on 1mbit)

i think its great, and not any slower than a complicated web page...

and it all seems to work fine with my DVD dongle in.

Brian

Steve H
14-09-2003, 11:29
Looks fine here, doesnt take too long to load... But then again, Ive never seen the old dash ;):p

ic14
14-09-2003, 13:24
Being doing some digging around for info bout the dash/mods.
Apprently it doesnt check for mod chips, doesnt scan the hd, doesnt sstop the Mech/007 exploit.
The only one it stops is the font/audio hack.

You think m$ would have done more work......:confused: