PDA

View Full Version : Basic Info Req'd please!

G0AOZ
17-03-2005, 10:15
New to the forum, and never used NTL in any shape or form before!

I've been asked to connect several computers in one household to NTL cable. The cable modem is an NTL 200 ? and two of the PCs are running Windows XP Home, not sure about the others yet but that's not the issue right now.

One PC is up and running with a USB connection, so we know the internet service is ok. The PCs need to be connected via RJ-45 ethernet to a hub or switch which will also have WiFi available, possible print server etc etc.

Here are the questions!

1. Does the NTL 200 cable modem have a fixed (internal) LAN IP address and/or DHCP?

2. Can I set select DHCP or a static LAN address of my choice? (e.g. 10.x.x.x). If so, how do I access the modem to make this choice?

3. If it has a default IP, what is it?

4. If connecting a PC directly to the LAN port on the NTL modem, do I use a straight or crossover cable, or does it auto detect?

Currently, running the setup CD, the PC says it is unable to "find" the cable modem when connected using RJ-45 cable. I have tried setting the PC's NIC to both static and dynamic, but no joy. I've proved this NIC works ok by connecting another PC to it using a crossover cable, so that's not the issue.

I'd prefer to use a static address of my choice, as this adds WiFi security (yes I'll be using WEP as well etc etc), and means I can connect with my own laptop when maintenance to user files etc is required.

Hope someone can give me this basic info please...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Bill C
17-03-2005, 10:25
New to the forum,

SNIP :)

Hope someone can give me this basic info please...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi and :welcome:

I suggest you have a look here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/homelan.html)

Aragorn
17-03-2005, 10:37
:welcome:

As The Sentinel says, most of your answers will be found on Robin Walker's site.

A couple of quick pointers though -

1. NTL only supply DHCP addresses (unless you pay for a business class connection).

2. To connect multiple machines to NTL BB you will need a NAT BB Router - it will pickup the external DHCP for the CM and serve as a DHCP host for the home network, using whatever internal range you want. A standard 'business' class router will probably not pickup the DHCP address from the CM - must be a 'Broadband Router'.

3. It should be straight-thru between PC & CM (or Router WAN port and CM).

4. You don't need the NTL CD to connect RJ45 to the CM. As long as XP has the NIC drivers loaded and is set for DHCP it should pick-up the CM. If it isn't and they have previously used USB you should a) reboot the CM and b) disable or unistall the USB modem drivers.

HTH

G0AOZ
17-03-2005, 11:21
Many thanks to The Sentinel and Aragorn for your welcome, and all the info. I will read through Robin Walker's site this evening when I have time to take it all in, but just a quick glance at that site and the info you've given me Aragorn, has set me on the right track. Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

ROGER - G0AOZ

PWS
17-03-2005, 14:34
Hi Roger,

Nothing to do with your questions...But why have you added your call sign to a non Ham forum?

just courious, As you've just told everyone here where you live and your home mail addy.

Cheers

Paul

G0AOZ
17-03-2005, 16:04
Just out of habit I guess...

ROGER - G0AOZ.