PDA

View Full Version : The link between Violence and Games

Stuart
11-09-2003, 10:37
Apparently, Rockstar Games (Take Two Interactive) are being sued in America because two teenagers took a .22 calibre rifle into the street and randomly fired at cars.

They injured one person and killed another.

It is the family of the dead person who is sueing.

The full story is here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/32765.html)

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) Why are kids allowed to buy games like GTA? I love the game, but I would consider it too violent for kids.
2) Why would their parents allow them access to firearms?
3) Are the kids not taught the difference between right and wrong?

Ramrod
11-09-2003, 10:41
Originally posted by scastle
1) Why are kids allowed to buy games like GTA? I love the game, but I would consider it too violent for kids.
2) Why would their parents allow them access to firearms?
3) Are the kids not taught the difference between right and wrong? I think that the last two points are the main problem areas.:(

downquark1
11-09-2003, 10:47
I don't see how video games are responable, guns are for shooting, if you get a gun it doesn't take a subliminal violence obsession to know you shoot things with it (what else is a gun for?). They just don't know that such stuff is wrong.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 10:57
Bah get real

downquark1
11-09-2003, 11:02
Originally posted by Defiant
Bah get real Was that in reply to me?:erm:

gazzae
11-09-2003, 14:07
I had to laught at the article on El Reg, where they suggest that the next step will be to blame the kids throwing bricks off bridges on the makers of tetris.

Boom
11-09-2003, 14:17
AFAIK, not one of these cases against the games industry have been succesful, will this one be any different?

Defiant
11-09-2003, 14:20
Originally posted by downquark1
Was that in reply to me?:erm:

Nope thats a reply to the subject "The link between Violence and Games" everything today seems to be blamed on films and games etc. Its perenting thats the problem fact!

kronas
11-09-2003, 14:21
i dont see the problem id question why they are playing these games anyway they have over 18 labels on them how do they get hold of them if your stupid enough to do the actions set out in GTA then you deserve to get locked up for the repercussions of your actions

this is real life not a game if you cant tell the diffarence you need help

Niles Crane
11-09-2003, 14:28
If anything, they ought to be suing the company which illegally sold them the game. NOT the creator of said game.

Steve H
11-09-2003, 16:30
Originally posted by kronas
[snip]
this is real life not a game if you cant tell the diffarence you need help

Exactly. If your stupid enough to do it, Then a game wont change you.

Chris
11-09-2003, 17:00
Originally posted by Steve_NTL

This is true of normal, reasoning adults, but not children. They are still growing and learning; one of the reasons they are still children is because they still have emotional and psychological maturing to do. They don't always know the difference between right and wrong; the younger they are, the more growing up they still have to do in this area.

Traditional forms of instilling morality - like religion - are increasingly spurned in society. You may not think this is a bad thing, but however you look at it many parents have not replaced it with any active involvement of their own. If a parent decides to allow an Xbox or a PS2 to become a surrogate mother or father for his/her child, and then allows that child to play violent games without countering them with some moral framework for the 'real world', it's not hard to see how a growing and maturing child could acquire some pretty screwed up ideas about what's acceptable behaviour.

So, while it's not true to say that video games are solely responsible for violent behaviour in children, I think it's fair to say that in some instances they can be a significant factor.

downquark1
11-09-2003, 17:09
towny theses were 14 and 16. In Jewish terms they're adults!!!

Stuart
11-09-2003, 17:11
i dont see the problem id question why they are playing these games anyway they have over 18 labels on them how do they get hold of them if your stupid enough to do the actions set out in GTA then you deserve to get locked up for the repercussions of your actions

The problem is that the Americans don't have a legally enforcable ratings system for games. Obviously over here, kids cannot get GTA legally, but although it is labelled M for Mature in America, that is a voluntary thing, so the shop does not have to stick to it.

But, right or wrong, kids do tend to learn from what they see. Although at 14, these boys should already know it is wrong to fire guns at people.

kronas
11-09-2003, 17:49
Originally posted by Steve_NTL

games are becoming mainstream entertainment for kids a sort of " you lot play on your ps2's dont go out anywhere etc" totally ignoring the fact that the content they are viewing onscreen is having a detremental affect on there childrens health filling there minds with false thoughts remember they are kids and there minds are still learning and developing so the lifestyle around them does influence there mental makeup

*psycological mode off :p

kronas
11-09-2003, 17:51

But, right or wrong, kids do tend to learn from what they see. Although at 14, these boys should already know it is wrong to fire guns at people.

true but there is the factor that even the oldest of kids or teens are not mentally mature and cannot establish correctly what there actions may do.......

downquark1
11-09-2003, 17:52
games are becoming mainstream entertainment for kids a sort of " you lot play on your ps2's dont go out anywhere etc" totally ignoring the fact that the content they are viewing onscreen is having a detremental affect on there childrens health filling there minds with false thoughts remember they are kids and there minds are still learning and developing so the lifestyle around them does influence there mental makeup

*psycological mode off :p Same thing with westerns - only they weren't high res

Mr_Burns
11-09-2003, 18:04
I've got the game and I think it's great. My nephew asks whenever he comes around if he can play it (he's 9). I always say no, and my Sister won't let him play it either. Some of his friends have got it and he can't understand why his Mum won't let him have it. He understands that it's a game for adults but can't understand why other parents let their kids play it? What can you say?

kronas
11-09-2003, 18:07
Originally posted by Mr_Burns
I've got the game and I think it's great. My nephew asks whenever he comes around if he can play it (he's 9). I always say no, and my Sister won't let him play it either. Some of his friends have got it and he can't understand why his Mum won't let him have it. He understands that it's a game for adults but can't understand why other parents let their kids play it? What can you say?

im not a fan of parental control i despise censorship i watch anything and everything guns some blood no gore as i choose not to view it always have done but i know its game or its a movie its not real i know the consequences if i do something violent im a calm person anyway :)

its just entertainment

nighthawk
11-09-2003, 18:33
true but there is the factor that even the oldest of kids or teens are not mentally mature and cannot establish correctly what there actions may do.......

The problem is that people generalise. If one kid does something and blames it on a game then people start thinkg all games are bad & should be banned. It is up to the kids parent to decide wither he / she is mature enough to know the difference between a game & real life.

i know 12 year old kids, that i would trust with a loaded gun more thatn some adults i know. & i am sure i am not the only one.

Graham
11-09-2003, 19:17
Unfortunately this is a classic example of "let's find *anyone* to blame who isn't *us*!"

The parents just *can't* accept that it might be *their* fault that their kids are out of control. It must be the schools or the TV or the video games or the messages being beamed in by the Pod People of Mars, anybody but *them* :( :( :(

Chris
11-09-2003, 19:55
Originally posted by downquark1
towny theses were 14 and 16. In Jewish terms they're adults!!!
They may be that age now, but what have been their influences as they have grown up?

Stuart
11-09-2003, 20:29
Originally posted by Graham
Unfortunately this is a classic example of "let's find *anyone* to blame who isn't *us*!"

The parents just *can't* accept that it might be *their* fault that their kids are out of control. It must be the schools or the TV or the video games or the messages being beamed in by the Pod People of Mars, anybody but *them* :( :( :(

It seems to me that some parents just dump their kids in front of the TV/PC/Console to do whatever they want, and then sue the companies that make the TV programs/Videos/Games because the kids have turned bad...

kronas
11-09-2003, 21:39
It seems to me that some parents just dump their kids in front of the TV/PC/Console to do whatever they want, and then sue the companies that make the TV programs/Videos/Games because the kids have turned bad...

yes your right this is exactly what is happening not everything that is on tv or the content in games is suitable for all ages maturity is the key and for some they definatly lack that and the understanding between reality and fiction and the consequences reality has..........

Maggy
11-09-2003, 21:47
It depends on individual children and individual parents.Some individual parents should never have given birth and some children will never be trustworthy enough not to use any excuse when confronted about misbehaviour.

MY 15 year old plays GTA,Halo etc but he isn't to be found wandering the streets with any kind of weapon.I have actually discussed how TV and films are notorious for bending reality with him.He used to love The A-Team until I pointed out how much ammo/explosives were used and no ever had so much as a hang nail.He got the point and most kids do.The ones that don't,have a confusion about what is right and wrong rather than an inability to understand reality.Now more often than not,that is down to parents not even thinking to discuss the issue with their children.

The thing that I have a problem with is,if TV has no real impact on a childs mind why do advertisers aim certain toy/junk food adverts at children's programming and channels.They must think it has some effect-they are hardly going to spend so much money on something that has no effect what so ever.Having said that I suspect that they are deliberately targetting the much younger members of society because the younger you are the less you discern reality from make believe.I believe this is just as iniquitous as those who sell adult films and games to underage children and should also be banned.:(

Incog. :)

preacher
12-09-2003, 15:45
I have been watching horror movies since I was a kiddy (watched uncut Texas Chainsaw & Deadly Spawn at age of 7) and have played 'violent' games since the arrival of the first home computers.

I am no more dangerous and weird than the next guy.....not that says much in this day and age!

My point? - It is not the games, the movies or the fact that kids are allowed to play these games etc......it's the person themselves!

Graham
12-09-2003, 18:16
Originally posted by morris
don't know about you but i want to know more about these pod people?

I'm sorry, there are no pod people.

There have never been any pod people.

There will never be any pod people.

Please ignore the black van that is now pulling up outside your home...!

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 18:23
Personally I blame the gun culture in the States. There was a program on TV some months ago, about the way kids were brought up on the gun culture. At about 12 they are taken out on a gun shoot and encouraged to kill moose, deer, bear and about anything else they could line up in their sights and in true tradition the kids were then bloodied. So it's not very long before they progress from animals to humans!