PDA

View Full Version : Problems In The Luton Area ?

Stuartbe
16-03-2005, 20:06
Anyone having major packet loss problems in the Luton area ?

The guy at NTL says that there is a major service problems but there is noting on the NTL status page.

My father has spent 2 hours on the the phone to three diferent people who have given different versions of what the problems are...

The last guy in India that my father spoke to tryed to get us to chnage proxy as my vpn connection to work keeps dropping out :rolleyes:

Help.....

Where are you Debsy ???? :cry:

dilli-theclaw
16-03-2005, 20:08
Well things seem ok here in sunny Sandy.

Stuartbe
16-03-2005, 20:13
Hmm... Am going to run docsdiag on the Teryon modem and get the SNR values....

Service pops in out all the time. This has been going on for over 2 months with varying grades of severity...

This is getting beond a joke !!! I WANT MY NILDRAM BACK :cry:

dilli-theclaw
16-03-2005, 20:16
Well sorry I can't help :( - I've only had 1 bad day since I came back to NTL in January. Which oddly enough was on my birthday (the 18th feb) my packets were all over the place on that day.

Of course now that I've said that I'm sure I'll have loads of problems :)

Stop It
16-03-2005, 21:01
Langford here, (on the luton ubr) perfectly fine, btw where does the packet loss occur? although Im no expert, if you show a few trace routes im sure one of the NTL techs will know what it means.

Stuartbe
16-03-2005, 21:14
They have not asked for a tracert but all or most of the packet loss is between the modem and the default gateway.

Problem is that the packet loss is intermitant and appears about 3-4 a minute so there is no way you can connect to a vpn and it drops out all the time. This happens with web pages, email and pings the web problem is the same on http as https so its not proxy related.

NTL have asured my father that the SNR is fine !

Stuartbe
16-03-2005, 23:20
Thanks to BBking... (what a star) Shower that man with reps !!!

It looks like a SNR problem...

Here is a pic of the wiring setup...

BBKing
17-03-2005, 00:18
SNR as viewable by the average TSR (upstream) is fine, downstream SNR is fluctuating all over the shop. There's more than one SNR, all are estimates, one can be fine while the other is rubbish.

Anyway, that modem is definitely very ill - there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the ones around it in the neighbourhood, so my diagnosis is something iffy with the modem or cabling (I particularly like the way it stops and I can kick it back to life by a normal diagnostic command).

Need to sleep then read up about it (and consult Ignition if he's about).

Stuartbe
17-03-2005, 00:21
Thanks for all the Help BBKing - You are a star.....