PDA

View Full Version : CHEESE FIGHT: Wisconsin VS European Union

Jerrek
11-09-2003, 05:10
Dem continental Europeans are at it again: http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2003/09/09/build/business/32-name.inc

Europeans claim that certain products are part of their heritage, and will ask world trade officials for exclusive rights to 13 cheese names. But Wisconsin, America's No. 1 cheese-making state, has come out swinging against the idea.

and

And it's not just cheese. Europeans want to require that any wine called "bordeaux" come from the Bordeaux region of France, or it must be called something else. Same with Chianti, Champagne, Beaujolais and Parma ham.

So they have now appointed ant-protection police, started regulating the curvature of bananas, and now they want to regular world-wide cheese names. What is next?

Lord Nikon
11-09-2003, 06:01
Wisconsin - America's Dairyland

Looks like they are getting cheesed off at the eurocrap....
As are we all

they should send some suitably aged limburger cheese to the eurocrats.... (made under license by a master craftsman of course) :D

dubyah... launch the ICBMs at brussels... (InterContinental Ballistic Mozarella) get the europeans off OUR backs too...

BACK OFF BRUSSELS!!!

Lew
11-09-2003, 10:49
Although interestingly enough, any country can make 'Cheddar' cheese...

philip.j.fry
11-09-2003, 11:38
Originally posted by Lord Nikon

dubyah... launch the ICBMs at brussels... (InterContinental Ballistic Mozarella) get the europeans off OUR backs too...

I'd like to point out that we're Europeans also, and Britain is no stranger to this kind of thing. For example the move to rename Brussel sprouts to British sprouts. In all honesty it is red tape silliness, but on the other hand the names of food stuffs should be used correctly so people know what they are getting. I like Cheshire cheese, it wouldn't be Chesire cheese if it came from anywhere else :)

Chris
11-09-2003, 12:30
Originally posted by philip.j.fry
I'd like to point out that we're Europeans also, and Britain is no stranger to this kind of thing. For example the move to rename Brussel sprouts to British sprouts. In all honesty it is red tape silliness, but on the other hand the names of food stuffs should be used correctly so people know what they are getting. I like Cheshire cheese, it wouldn't be Chesire cheese if it came from anywhere else :)

If it used the same ingredients and methods, then surely it would taste the same and therefore be cheshire cheese?

There are fundamental differences at every level of British custom and society between us and the rest of Europe. Political, social, judicial, you name it, we're different. Britain just does not fit into the single socio-economic model beloved of the Brussels bureaucrats, who apparently have nothing better to do with our money than rule that Parma ham, even though it is prepared in Parma according to traditional methods, cannot be called Parma ham if it is packed in the UK.

The UK is a net contributor to this undemocratic waste of space and frankly we're better off out of it.

Theodoric
11-09-2003, 21:18
Well, as the EU have apparently reneged, at the current WTO discussions at Cancun, on a promise to third world countries to to cut the obscene subsidies that they pay to EU farmers to produce crops that no-one wants, I can't say that I have much sympathy with them. They deserve all that that they get. Long live Outer Mongolian feta and Brazilian Bordeaux!