15-03-2005, 21:30
Specualtion about 6mb over on overclockers
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17386257

Paul
15-03-2005, 21:45
Should be interesting if it's true.

scrotnig
15-03-2005, 21:48
Blah blah caps blah blah existing customers blah blah rip off blah blah profiteering blah blah all you can eat buffets blah blah blah.

There...I've completed this thread for you, so you can close it now! :D

jtwn
15-03-2005, 23:17
6mb....I'd be a hazard to BY with a service like that, roll on May.

ian@huth
15-03-2005, 23:18
I suppose the speculation will quickly change to NTL with Simon Duffys presentation talking about trials that began last month on 18Mbps ADSL2 over NTL copper. That may take a back seat though to his mention of VDSL2 which should have its standard set in May and can deliver up to 100 Mbps.

paulyoung666
15-03-2005, 23:29
interesting time ahead methinks :erm: :D :D :D :D

nick.king
16-03-2005, 22:35
I honestly think they should miss 6mbit out and go 10mbit, they need to be the first in the market place to offer this speed in order to attract new customers (assuming they have a cable running down their street!).

I can see BY having the following packages with NO CAPS (well I'd like to see this...) 10mbit - £50, 8mbit - £40, 6mbit - £30, 4mbit - £25, 2mbit - £20, 256k - £15 (yes that's all some people need, i.e. my parents).

moffmeister
07-04-2005, 20:47
No caps? Not if NTL take-over/merge!

MalcUK2005
08-04-2005, 14:35
The 256k service will be upgraded to 512k in the next month or two so the entry level £15 service will be 512k, I always thought that Telewest has more of the cable market then NTL am I wrong in this? as Telewest now have over 2 million, internet, tv or phone customers. So wouldn't it be the other way round? telewest taking over NTL.

Mick
08-04-2005, 19:07
The 256k service will be upgraded to 512k in the next month or two so the entry level £15 service will be 512k, I always thought that Telewest has more of the cable market then NTL am I wrong in this? as Telewest now have over 2 million, internet, tv or phone customers. So wouldn't it be the other way round? telewest taking over NTL.

Just a tad wrong. ntl serves over 3 Million internet, tv and phone customers. :)

Bob
08-04-2005, 20:40
Telewest's entry level service is £17.99 a month (£14.99 is an offer) :)

Saltank
16-04-2005, 00:25
It would be amazing if prices were equivalent to the rest of lets say EU or NA. Paying £25= $50CAD for 1mb? In Canada I paid $40 for 6mb cable! :)

webvictim
07-06-2005, 18:29
I sometimes find it tricky to get the full 4mbit on BY in my area (Liverpool), and I put this down to Telewest not allocating enough bandwidth to the loop that my cable modem is on - after all, I live in a student area and I think there are a quite a few customers who spank the connection all day long.

For this reason, I don't really want them to introduce a 6/8/10mbit service without first working out their bandwidth allocation. It's not fair that I pay £50/month for a 4mbit service and don't get it because they're too tight to buy a bigger pipe for everyone in the area.

Ignition
08-06-2005, 10:58
I sometimes find it tricky to get the full 4mbit on BY in my area (Liverpool), and I put this down to Telewest not allocating enough bandwidth to the loop that my cable modem is on - after all, I live in a student area and I think there are a quite a few customers who spank the connection all day long.

For this reason, I don't really want them to introduce a 6/8/10mbit service without first working out their bandwidth allocation. It's not fair that I pay £50/month for a 4mbit service and don't get it because they're too tight to buy a bigger pipe for everyone in the area.

There are areas like that in every cable operator in the world's network sadly. Cablecos can upgrade endlessly and the bandwidth will just get eaten, literally nothing that they can do about it as you can only upgrade so far.

Other issue of course is from the cableco's point of view why should they throw tens of thousands at an area that'll take ages to make that money back, if ever?

Anyway as I said about this rumour at the time, quoting the original post... I have recently been informed that Blueyonder will be launching a new 6mb service in May. I got this information from the same person that told me 4mb was happening in December last year quite a while before it became public knowledge.

Well, it's June now, so that's about the end of that one, as I've endlessly wittered on abot this it's conjecture, there's a 10Mbit trial towards the end of the year, and depending on the results of that and availability of appropriate hardware for Telewest's use this will see a launch commercial in 2006.

webvictim
08-06-2005, 11:03
In my view, if they say "this is the price for this level of service" then they should honour that. They know how much bandwidth they need for the area from the amount of money they make off subscriptions, so they should install enough capacity to make sure that everyone can get the bandwidth they pay for.

I might as well just downgrade to 2mbit, save myself £20/month and actually get all the speed that I pay for. I'm only on the 4mbit because I share with 6 other people and it doesn't take much for someone to eat all the bandwidth on a smaller connection, even with the QoS on my router.

I don't like to say this, but I don't have this problem at home on NTL...

Ignition
08-06-2005, 11:20
In my view, if they say "this is the price for this level of service" then they should honour that. They know how much bandwidth they need for the area from the amount of money they make off subscriptions, so they should install enough capacity to make sure that everyone can get the bandwidth they pay for.

I might as well just downgrade to 2mbit, save myself £20/month and actually get all the speed that I pay for. I'm only on the 4mbit because I share with 6 other people and it doesn't take much for someone to eat all the bandwidth on a smaller connection, even with the QoS on my router.

Student areas ;)

They offer 'up to' they don't guarantee 4Mbit at all, sorry man.

ian@huth
08-06-2005, 11:35
They could do just that but you wouldn't want to pay the price it would cost. :)

ameen
19-06-2005, 22:59
will whats the point of having 6mb service when you only can download up to 250kB/s and thats from p2p i have a 4mb down speed all the thing that i have been downloading from websites does not reach a 250kB/s download because most of websites does not allow you to download at you maximum speed the only place i was able to download with my full speed is from p2p so realy you better of with a 2mb down speed service most of websites does not support are do not allow you to download with all your speed

Stuart
19-06-2005, 23:17

You pay to get UP to that speed. You are paying for a contended service (as nearly all home broadband connections are). Put simply, the company assumes that most users won't hammer their connections 24/7 and buys bandwidth on that assumption. NTL offer 20:1 contention. which means they buy 1 users worth of bandwidth for every 20 users. To put this into context, most ADSL providers offer 50:1 contention. Unforetunately, they don't guarantee 20:1 contention, and in some (busy) areas, the contention may be higher.

If you want guarenteed speed, you will need to start up a business account (& these can be a *lot* more expensive).

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
07-07-2005, 15:28
Did anyone see/hear any more rumours about this (or any other) speed upgrades? It seems to have gone quiet everywhere and I'm real hopeful about getting an increase sometime ;)

andymt
08-07-2005, 09:50
to be honest with you having speeds faster than 4mb is only useful for offices on a large network-having 6-10mb on one machine is stupid, and, cuz you can only visit one site at once, you will prob not see much difference between 4 and 6 unless you have a network.

anyway fgs i dunno y everyone is so uptight im on 1mb and im a heavy user. all i care about is that there are no caps.
i download movies, music, the lot.... and 1mb is fine.

i can do a movie in 2hrs!

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
08-07-2005, 10:02
Actually I'm after faster u/l speeds, and unless you take the top d/l package then you don't get offered anything faster than 256k. I have so much d/l speed I don't know what to do with it - but the u/l is not much good when you're trying to store data via ftp or send files to your friends. :confused:

mrlipring
08-07-2005, 15:39
to be honest with you having speeds faster than 4mb is only useful for offices on a large network-having 6-10mb on one machine is stupid, and, cuz you can only visit one site at once, you will prob not see much difference between 4 and 6 unless you have a network.

anyway fgs i dunno y everyone is so uptight im on 1mb and im a heavy user. all i care about is that there are no caps.
i download movies, music, the lot.... and 1mb is fine.

i can do a movie in 2hrs!

you can do a one disc xvid or a one disc vcd, or a short svcd in an hour. What about a dvdr? That'd take you5 hours.

It's INSANE to say that >4mbit is useless for the home user.

Any sort of heavy downloader wants better speeds. I download a lot and play a fair bit of games online. I obviously can't do both at the same time. A faster pipe gives me more free time to play games.

If you do any usenet downloading you should find it fairly easy to max out 3mbit. with a decent news host, maxing out 10mbit should be dead easy.

Personally, the amount i download at the moment is enough. I can't really see me downloading MUCH more. A faster connection would just allow me to download roughly the same amount, in less time.

I do a fair bit of uploading, so the extra upload would definitely be useful for me, though.

Perhaps you're fine with 1mbit, but lots of us crave better speeds.

andymt
08-07-2005, 18:03
true.

upload speeds are important-especially as with the tw 1mb package only has 128up.

i dont upload THAT much, but when i do i find it slows down my download speed.

yeah i suppose a little extra speed wouldn't go astray but to be honest i dont wanna be sitting at my pc all day downloading id rather do other stuff and, if i had a faster speed i would find myself doin more and more downloadin.

[Admin Edit - Simon M] Discussions surrounding illegal downloads are not welcome here

Ignition
08-07-2005, 18:23
i dont wanna download tooo much of that illegal stuff cause 1 day i will get caught and have to pay a huge fine-my fri just had to pay £2300 in damages after he was traced.

They are usually more interested in people who are uploading large quantities of data on P2P networks, Fast Track, Gnutella, Bittorrent they are more likely to want to have a chat with someone saying

I do a fair bit of uploading, so the extra upload would definitely be useful for me, though.
to maintain a ratio on a Bittorrent site than someone who downloads here and there and spends time on Limewire.

andymt
08-07-2005, 18:39
so u dont think i will get caught if i download a few movies each month?

im worried...lol

mrlipring
08-07-2005, 18:40
I'm having trouble understanding your sentence, iggy.

Ignition
08-07-2005, 19:07
so u dont think i will get caught if i download a few movies each month?

im worried...lol

I doubt it, there are people who are uploading a few movies a week something far more frowned upon.

There are people downloading a few movies a day.

I'm having trouble understanding your sentence, iggy.

We all have things we don't understand. I struggle to understand why your avatar is a dude (you?) doing an impression of 'The Rock' of WWE fame, what the story is with that moustache / goatee, it's all part of the rich tapestry :)

Think what I said makes sense in a roundabout way, simply that the authorities would be far more interested in someone like yourself who uploads a fair bit than someone who is downloading bits here and there.

mrlipring
08-07-2005, 20:09
I doubt it, there are people who are uploading a few movies a week something far more frowned upon.

There are people downloading a few movies a day.

We all have things we don't understand. I struggle to understand why your avatar is a dude (you?) doing an impression of 'The Rock' of WWE fame, what the story is with that moustache / goatee, it's all part of the rich tapestry :)

Think what I said makes sense in a roundabout way, simply that the authorities would be far more interested in someone like yourself who uploads a fair bit than someone who is downloading bits here and there.

Yeah, it's me. lol. The pic's a long story. And it's not particularly interesting either. I won't bore ya.

why would the authorities be interested in me? Is the bittorrent protocol illegal itself?

You know i use BT because i told you i did. You don't know what i use it for. Don't go flinging accusations. ;)

You'd think, mind you, that authorities have bigger and more important fish to fry.

If, for example, i were to download and watch a film that isn't/won't be available here, who's losing money?

Or if i was to download and watch a TV show i'd missed, where's the harm?

Instead of criminalising people who've done nothing wrong morally, the authorities could spend more time making sure real criminals don't get off on technicalities.

Ignition
08-07-2005, 20:37
You know i use BT because i told you i did. You don't know what i use it for. Don't go flinging accusations. ;)

You'd think, mind you, that authorities have bigger and more important fish to fry.

If, for example, i were to download and watch a film that isn't/won't be available here, who's losing money?

Or if i was to download and watch a TV show i'd missed, where's the harm?

Instead of criminalising people who've done nothing wrong morally, the authorities could spend more time making sure real criminals don't get off on technicalities.

Don't think I need much imagination to know what you use BT for to be honest.

Tell the authorities that, they are quite happy to bust file sharers.

Anyway this is about the non-existent 6Mbit Blueyonder product, which was supposed to have come out a couple of months ago, not the legalities or otherwise of P2P abusage.

Actually mods any chance of this thread dying, the rumour has been proven to be highly untrue, TW have no speed upgrades on the horizon until probably November (to coincide with BT's launch of MaxDSL) or the 10mbit trial leading to release of the commercial product in 2006.

Paul
08-07-2005, 21:34
True or not, I can't see a reason to close this. People are free to speculate. :)

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
08-07-2005, 22:58
Don't think I need much imagination to know what you use BT for to be honest.

Tell the authorities that, they are quite happy to bust file sharers.

Anyway this is about the non-existent 6Mbit Blueyonder product, which was supposed to have come out a couple of months ago, not the legalities or otherwise of P2P abusage.

Actually mods any chance of this thread dying, the rumour has been proven to be highly untrue, TW have no speed upgrades on the horizon until probably November (to coincide with BT's launch of MaxDSL) or the 10mbit trial leading to release of the commercial product in 2006.

Erm... well I called them last week and the guy I spoke to seemed quite hopeful.. unless he's trained in bluffing - so I was kinda waiting on the offchance someone would actually have more info than I do.

I'll just keep calling them til they have concrete information I guess :rolleyes:

stamp92
09-07-2005, 00:40
where did u hear this rumour?

Ignition
09-07-2005, 13:55
Erm... well I called them last week and the guy I spoke to seemed quite hopeful.. unless he's trained in bluffing - so I was kinda waiting on the offchance someone would actually have more info than I do.

I'll just keep calling them til they have concrete information I guess :rolleyes:

Hrm interestingly on Digital Spy forums people have been phoning them and getting the same sorta thing for, erm, months.

Minor issue also that they would have to tell the Nasdaq exchange before they do anything majorly expensive, and they need to get their core network sorted before they do big speed increases.

6Mbit is a bit pointless IMO anyway when the only reason to do it is to compete against UKOnline and Bulldog, both of whom offer 8Mbit at substantially less than the £50 they charge for 4Mbit currently anyway.

nn012
09-07-2005, 13:58
There is no 6mb planned, but there should be a price reduction soon ( around the end of July - but dont quote me on this) and the trials of the 10mb service should also start soon

Ignition
09-07-2005, 14:18
There is no 6mb planned, but there should be a price reduction soon ( around the end of July - but dont quote me on this) and the trials of the 10mb service should also start soon

Yup makes sense, thanks for that. Find it a lot more believable than any of the other stuff I've heard.

Is this all remaining uncapped, etc, or will it be uncapped with traffic shaping applied, or possibly those who really hammer the service being told to go elsewhere or calm down?

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
09-07-2005, 23:11

What upload speed should I hope for to go with the 10mb service?

Is there any speculation on pricing for the 10mb yet?

Ignition
09-07-2005, 23:14
Just as a guide the upload speed for 10mbit services varies between 800k and 1Mbit in North America so I'd probably hope to see it somewhere in that range. Course I could be wrong and it could be 768k or even 512k.

andymt
10-07-2005, 10:42
10mb will be very expensive- i am on the 1mb now and my budget is £27.00 PM, do you reckon that soon i will be able to have a faster speed, with the price reductions?

mrlipring
10-07-2005, 16:18
with LLU unbundling and ADSL2+, NTL and TW's prices will almost certainly have to come down.

When you consider that there are ISPs coming soon with 1mbit+ upstream speeds, then fingers crossed they'll all increase uploads too.

andymt
10-07-2005, 18:19
i really do wanna have 4meg, but i have a budget of £30 do u think this will be possible?

or maybe just 2meg? i really cant afford the £35 that it is now.
apparently with the price drops coming, i might be able fo afford 2meg

mrlipring
11-07-2005, 00:24
when the speed tiers change, i'd imagine it'd be within your budget.

nn012
03-08-2005, 15:47
wrong info!

kawasakikr1
12-08-2005, 18:12
Forget 6mb have a look at this page!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=4964&email

MovedGoalPosts
12-08-2005, 18:26
We were ahead of pcadvisor:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33380

Lets please keep all 10meg discussions to that thread, thanks ;)