PDA

View Full Version : Excuse to leave work - temporarily?

heyyo
15-03-2005, 14:24
ok heres the problem...basically i was working until i had the opportunity to get some paid experience at the bbc, so i went for the latter.

i have lied to my manager basically informing her there was a family emergency and i was wondering if this is ok? i had no credit in my phone so have only texted my manager....obviously she will not be happy but this is the only way i could think of....

and yes i know its a very sad thing to do...

Russ
15-03-2005, 14:27
On your conscience let it rest...

danielf
15-03-2005, 14:27
i have lied to my manager basically informing her there was a family emergency and i was wondering if this is ok?

In one word: no...

Aragorn
15-03-2005, 14:42
I'm with danielf.

Look at it from her side - you are (probably) still being paid by her (while on compassionate leave) and getting paid by the BBC as well. She doesn't know if you've had a bereavment and probably won't feel comfortable chasing you, so you're leaving her limbo.

Do the decent thing and tell her the truth!

STONEISLAND
15-03-2005, 14:46
Sorry but I don't think your being that helpful lads I'm sure we have all done sickes at work.

How about a pet passing away or long loss relation has returned home? :confused:

Russ
15-03-2005, 14:53
Well seeing as we're dishing out advice on how to lie to our employers, why not a thread on the best way to be unfaithful to your spouse? Perhaps a thread on the best way to lie to the police? I'm sure that would be interesting. :rolleyes:

heyyo
15-03-2005, 15:03
im sure if others were in my situation - a media graduate and get offered to do some temp work at bbc would jump at the chance.

Russ
15-03-2005, 15:05
As someone working in the media I agree - but I will not agree that lying to someone's employer is appropriate in any way.

danielf
15-03-2005, 15:07
im sure if others were in my situation - a media graduate and get offered to do some temp work at bbc would jump at the chance.

Nobody is saying it is not a good opportunity. We're just sating that it's not good to lie to your employer about why you're absent. Out of interest, how long is your work with the BBC for?

heyyo
15-03-2005, 15:08
does anyone know the legalities of using an excuse (family emergency) is this sackable in the long-term. im only at the bbc for a month.

Russ
15-03-2005, 15:11
It depends on the terms of your employment but I'd imagine that doing what you've done would be grounds for dismissal (gross misconduct), seeing as you have been dishonest to your employer. Some may see this as a breach of trust.

Just be hopeful that no-one finds out.

gazzae
15-03-2005, 15:15
You're getting paid by the BBC, so why not take unpaid holidays from your current job?

Marge
15-03-2005, 15:17
does anyone know the legalities of using an excuse (family emergency) is this sackable in the long-term. im only at the bbc for a month.

A month :eek: Have to be some dire family emergency to be out of contact and away from work for a month. Perhaps you should have had a chat first of all with your employer, they may have agreed to a months absence without pay seeing as the BBC will be paying you :shrug:

danielf
15-03-2005, 15:19
I am wondering why there was such a rush to take up this job before discussing it with your manager. By the sound of it you texted her on the first day you were at the BBC. Did you tell the people at the BBC you were available immediately?

Nugget
15-03-2005, 15:25

To be quite honest heyyo, I'd guess that this is sackable in the short-term. Not only are you actively lying to your actual employer, but there could be ramifications from a tax point-of-view - if you are getting 2 wages, you're probably not paying the right amount of tax.

Raistlin
15-03-2005, 15:29
Let's just hope your manager doesn't frequent CF and put two and two together.

Keytops
15-03-2005, 15:35
A month is taking the p*ss somewhat. What sort of family emergency would cause to take a month off work?

heyyo
15-03-2005, 15:43
Let's just hope your manager doesn't frequent CF and put two and two together.

whats cf?

Russ
15-03-2005, 15:44
Cableforum.....I'm sure you've heard of them...

heyyo
15-03-2005, 15:52
yeh my manager wants me to ring her plus she wants me to go to work tommorow.

im buggered

nfs6600
15-03-2005, 15:55
yeh my manager wants me to ring her plus she wants me to go to work tommorow.

im buggered
:dunce:
Yes you are, and you will get little sympathy from people if you get the sack too mate. You should have talked to your manager before doing it. They do actually have a heart you know and might have understood teh situation thereby coming to something that best suits both parties.

Failing that tell her your bogged down with the *****s and a tickly cough (bad combo!)

goldoni
15-03-2005, 16:27
A month is taking the p*ss somewhat. What sort of family emergency would cause to take a month off work?
The only one I can think of is not very nice so we wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t go there and I hope you never have to use it for real. Your best option is to phone your manager and tell her you need x number of days off for personal reasons and donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t let her push you into the reason, but donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t tell her lies as you will be found out. You may just get your P45 but its worth a try in your position as you have already made your bed so to speak.

You never know the people at the BBC may think youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re just the person they are looking for and offer you a job at the end of the month.

Little white lies are ok eg: does this dress make my bum look fat? No dear it looks fine. :tu:

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2005, 16:29
You never know the people at the BBC may think youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re just the person they are looking for and offer you a job at the end of the month.

Though lets hope they don't ask for a reference from your current workplace...

Well seeing as we're dishing out advice on how to lie to our employers, why not a thread on the best way to be unfaithful to your spouse? Perhaps a thread on the best way to lie to the police? I'm sure that would be interesting. :rolleyes:
...oh! oh! and one that lets me cheat at my taxes, and cheat at cards would be good too! :)

Raistlin
15-03-2005, 16:45
Little white lies are ok eg: does this dress make my bum look fat?

No dear, it's the cake and chocolates that make your bum look fat :p:

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2005, 17:47
Little white lies are ok eg: does this dress make my bum look fat? No dear it looks fine. :tu:

Sorry dear, I missed that, I was transfixed by the sheer size of your buttocks....now what were you saying?

No dear, it looks fat all the time....

Is there another person in there with you?

Maggy
15-03-2005, 17:52
It's like wives,husbands,girlfriends and boyfriends.

Off with the old before on with the new.... :rolleyes:

zoombini
16-03-2005, 08:44
Not forgetting the tax office, they will screw it up for you.

Your best bet is to go into your previoous work, explain that the family emergency is over but that you need to take 1 month off immediatly.

If your job is coverable by someone else and you have a decent boss then you may well be able to take the unpaid time off if you explain how much it means to you.

Which leads to how much does it mean to you, are you prepared to quit your current job for this 1 months experience?

Albiet the 1 month working there may well put you on the ladder to continue in media etc & might not be something that should be refused if that is your chosen career.

If you have no other responsibilities like house/wife & kids etc then I'd go for it, but trying to do so without lying & burning all my bridges.

cookie_365
16-03-2005, 18:36

Well, judging by this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25642) that would seem rather unlikely :rolleyes: