PDA

View Full Version : Alien abduction

Ramrod
15-03-2005, 08:44
This, says it all, imo This is called the psychosocial explanation; people see aliens, as they have in the past seen angels and demons,

link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1525173,00.html)

bopdude
15-03-2005, 08:56
This, says it all, imo This is called the psychosocial explanation; people see aliens, as they have in the past seen angels and demons,

link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1525173,00.html)

Is the truth out there ???? I don't know about all abduction stories but saw Fire in the Sky based on a true story and it made the hairs on my neck stand up :shocked: :shocked:
Do I believe in ' aliens ' ................ I certainly do,( angels & demons ... mmm not in the true sense of the word ) IMHO, the cosmos is to big for us to be alone, just hope first contact is made in my lifetime :tu:

goldoni
15-03-2005, 09:07
The first paragraph says it all. Could this be the reason I keep forgetting things. :shocked:

Russ
15-03-2005, 09:07
I really don't see the sense or purpose in believing we are the only life forms in the universe.

Ramrod
15-03-2005, 09:15
I just think that the alien abduction phenomenon is probably just a result of peoples fears/desires affecting their perceptions of reality.
As the article says..........Had we both been interested in unicorns, I would doubtless have seen a herd of those amid the trees.

I really don't see the sense or purpose in believing we are the only life forms in the universe.I'm not disputing that other life exists somewhere............I just think that it's probably not coming here and abducting people.

gary_580
15-03-2005, 09:29
I really don't see the sense or purpose in believing we are the only life forms in the universe.

But why believe anything until it is proved?

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2005, 09:30
I remember reading a study somewhere about abductions and if they were 'real' - and one of the interesting things they discovered was that when alien visitors came into people's rooms to abduct them, people that would normally need glasses, etc to see properly were able to make out the visitors with prefect vision - they came up with a theory that these things were all in the mind, i.e. that abductions were taking place, but that they were more of a mental experience, rather than a physical one - (obviously using some sort of alien mind beam :) ) - which explained a few problems with the general abduction theories - such as no one else ever noticing large amounts of flashing lights outside Mrs Smith's at Number 32, as well as the time issue - abductees would often report being taken to a craft where they were examined, shown around, etc, etc, for many hours, but still managed to be back in bed for the 7.15 alarm call - if these things were not happening at a physical level it would solve a few things...

Russ
15-03-2005, 09:32

Not the best question to be asking me.....;)

skyblueheroes
15-03-2005, 09:32
This sounds like a case for Mulder & Scully.

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2005, 09:33
Hypnotic regression has always been a dodgy area, when it comes to remembering 'true events - it seems very easy to be able to lead a subject down a particular path, it all depends on what you are looking for - whether it be alien abduction or child abuse, if that's what you are looking for, chances are that's what you will find - whether the hypnotherapist is doing it deliberately or accidentally - there always seems to be some 'leading' of subjects

AndrewJ
15-03-2005, 09:43
Aliens do come and abduct humans for experiments, this is because they need to understand how come we aint blown ourselves up yet.

Although we are trying hard to do so :)

Jon M
15-03-2005, 09:59
I'll agree to differ...

This statement sums the alien phenomenon up for me:Without intelligent, creative input, lifeless chemicals cannot form themselves into living things. Without this unfounded evolutionary speculation, UFOlogy would not have its present grip on the public imagination.

cookie_365
15-03-2005, 19:56
Supernatural / extraterrestial life?

Just take a look at the 'All cap discussion here' thread for a taster :erm:

ScaredWebWarrior
15-03-2005, 20:12

Some would argue that the Drake Equation (http://aliens.monstrous.com/drake_equation.htm) implies that there must be life elsewhere. See also http://www.answers.com/topic/drake-equation

A whole bunch of eminent people at http://www.seti.org/ seem to believe it.
(also info on the Drake Equation there plus a little calculator to try it for yourself.)

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AbsenceOfEvidenceIsNotEvidenceOfAbsence

timewarrior2001
15-03-2005, 22:42
I was abducted by aliens once. But I put ointment on it and grew a new one.....

......Ermm no hang on, no that was when I cut my head off.

:D

Pathological liars, I do believe in a lot of supernatural stuff, and I belive in the existance of aliens. I dont believe in abductions.

Aliens could be anything that is a life form, Not necessarily little green men from mars.

Look at chemicals, you dont need to be intelligent to make on thing from two other seperate things.

Mix hydrogen and oxygen in the right proportions you get H20, I doubt that some little alien of higher intelligence decided to cover 2/3rds or whatever of planet earth with h20 because he was bored. H20 on its own wouldnt have done anything. Life was created over millions of years.

Life is one big chemical reaction, lets not foget that.

(apologies to those religious people out there that may feel different on this matter)

iron25
16-03-2005, 00:43
I find it hard to believe that anyone has actually been abducted by aliens, the people in question may believe it themselves but the mind is a very powerful weapon. I don't dispute the possibility of alien existence, I think you have be rather naive in believing that we are the only life forms in the entire universe. I believe more in aliens than I do in ghosts and also near death experiences where people see a bright light and claim that they have seen god and he spoke to them :rolleyes:

Nikko
16-03-2005, 01:15
I find the whole thing ridiculous. I mean, like I am just sitting here typing, and a random alien task force just arrive and ta

Earl of Bronze
16-03-2005, 09:28
I personally believe that our galaxy (150 billion? or so planets), never mind or universe (150 billion? or so galaxies), is too big for us humans to be all the ''intelligent'' life there is.****

As to alien abductions........

Possibly, not not in the numbers stated in the original link.

I read this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0425176584/qid=1110965240/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9935802-7104034) earlier this year, and there does seem to be a systematicdrive to promote aliens in some government circles.

Mr_love_monkey
16-03-2005, 09:35
I read this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0425176584/qid=1110965240/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9935802-7104034) earlier this year, and there does seem to be a systematicdrive to promote aliens in some government circles.

Yeah, I read that too - they talk about the CIA having 'devices' that make voices appear in peoples heads.. I think the book went a little silly at that point - before that I thought it was a really good read

Xaccers
16-03-2005, 10:29
Its all down to sleep paralysis
It's been shown that during such incidents when the subject is semi-awake but thier body is still paralised (as happens when you sleep to stop your dreams making you move about) they feel a sense of being watched, often someone sitting on them, and also sexual arousal
Over the years this phenomenon has been put down to succubi and now alien abduction.

Earl of Bronze
16-03-2005, 11:07
Yeah, I read that too - they talk about the CIA having 'devices' that make voices appear in peoples heads.. I think the book went a little silly at that point - before that I thought it was a really good read

Yeah, the implants did seem rather far fetched. But some of the other topics covered, noteably Remote Viewing, have been talked about for years. There has been persistant whisperings about American, British and Russian Remote Viewing Programs since the Cold War. These programs being used to track submerged nuclear submarines, look inside top secret research facilities, and evesdrop on top-level meeting in other countries.

I suppose the moral of the story is to try to keep an open mind, but not get sucked into the more outlandish claims. Then again, ''Plausible Deniability'' muddies the waters somewhat.