PDA

View Full Version : disasters that could end the world

Millay
14-03-2005, 22:37
Just been watching the supervolcano prograame, and suddenly got to thinking how many of these earth changing disters both man made and natural, are we overdue, i thought I would compile a list with links to info rabout the ones I can remeber and see if anyone can add to them.

1, Magnetic Poles switching
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/physicalscience/story/0,9836,748666,00.html

2, Yellowstone volcano
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

3, Asteroid hitting the earth
http://www.ucolick.org/~mountain/AAA/impact/

4, Global warming
http://www.globalwarming.org/

5, total Nuclear destruction
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/summary-intro.htm

Im now wondering if stoke piling water is just a waste of time, perhaps a coffin that comes as furniture until needed is more usfull: ::)
http://www.casketfurniture.com/

hmmmmm the mind ponders.

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:41
What about the ice age returning?? I had to do that for my nursing finial paper!!!!!

kronas
14-03-2005, 22:41
people say im paranoid :rofl: just chill out everyone! :D

Millay
14-03-2005, 22:46
cool... the ice age returning... forgot that one

6, Ie age
http://www.cicero.uio.no/fulltext.asp?id=2740&lang=en

im not paranoid :Yikes: :eeek:

just intrigued :devsmoke:

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 22:53
<--- scared by all this.

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:54
Oh poo, there is goona be a massive flood as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZrByte
14-03-2005, 22:55
cool... the ice age returning... forgot that one

6, Ie age
http://www.cicero.uio.no/fulltext.asp?id=2740&lang=en

im not paranoid :Yikes: :eeek:

just intrigued :devsmoke:

Well some religous people would considder armageddon to be one (Is there another word for it? that doesnt look right).
Also isnt there a rogue black hole supposedly near to our solar system? (near in galactical terms) I dont think that you can get much bigger than something that can eat our sun without breaking a sweat!!!

danielf
14-03-2005, 22:59
Don't forget The Borg... :dozey:

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:00
nah how about things from outa space!!!!!!

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:04
surly with all this calamity means obesity is a good thing, you know more fat stores to burn up during the lean times :)

hmmm 4 horseman of the apocalypse aught add the religious one..

7, 4 horses
http://www.revlu.com/apoc.html - dont like this site but im falling asleep

Tezcatlipoca
14-03-2005, 23:04
Worldwide zombie virus outbreak

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:05
Yeah but if you cannot stop eating whose fault is that???

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:11
Whenever anyone mutters about me being overweight(and they do so very carefully under their breath I can tell you) I point out that it's a survival factor.So when global warming,ice age or whatever happens as long as I can run fast enough at the time,I should, during the following famine last longer than you skinny runts. :p:

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:12
U wanna laugh dont ya!!!

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:12
hey i can stop eating.. just thinking about my portly buddies...

now wheres the chocolate :)

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:14
If you are happy !!!! then get on with it!!!

MetaWraith
14-03-2005, 23:15
A UK ISP turns new leaf and provides oustanding quality of service for very cheap price - Millions die of shock.

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:16
Shhh! I'm planning where to bury the food stores.... ;)

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:16
that is very true!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

danielf
14-03-2005, 23:19
Whenever anyone mutters about me being overweight(and they do so very carefully under their breath I can tell you) I point out that it's a survival factor.So when global warming,ice age or whatever happens as long as I can run fast enough at the time,I should, during the following famine last longer than you skinny runts. :p:

Wanna try a 100 yard dash against this skinny guy then? The person that bolts the door wins... :)

zoombini
14-03-2005, 23:19
Youv'e got it all wrong.

Fair do's some of those disasters may make life bad for us.
But the real disaster that would end the whole world would simply be.

Cableforum dissapears never to return :D :D

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:20
Wanna try a 100 yard dash against this skinny guy then? :)

No worries, I'll trip you up first..... ;)

Then sit on you before getting out the knife and fork..... :p:

ian@huth
14-03-2005, 23:23
Marmite could be withdrawn from sale. :Yikes:

More seriously a new uncontrollable disease could arrive on Earth.

danielf
14-03-2005, 23:24
No worries, I'll trip you up first..... ;)

Then sit on you before getting out the knife and fork..... :p:

No need for knife and fork. Just a snack me ;)

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:26

cor blimey just dont joke about things like that... phew i can vome back down from the ceiling now... :)

ZrByte
14-03-2005, 23:29

Actually there is one thing that could be more dangerous than an uncontrollable disease, immagine a controllable disease, I dont mean one we can treat but rather a man-made disease that could target a specific group of people (a true genocide bomb).

Paul
14-03-2005, 23:34
Cableforum dissapears never to return :D :DNow you are just being silly - this topic is for things that may at least have a small chance of happening :erm: ;)

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 00:21

I wouldnt joke about it too much. I remember watching a program about scientiests going to a remote island in the North Sea. During the flu pandemic of 1918 - 1919 several miners died of Spanish Lady and where interned in graves that where deep enough to penetrate the permafrost. So the scientists decided to take try to extract samples of the flu virus from the miners frozen bodies.

Off they went with all the haz-mat gear, got to the island, dug up the graves, only to find that someone had knocked all of them (eight I think). In the end they reckoned the Russians took the bodies some time during the Cold War. Prolly in an attempt to genetically engineer a ''Biological Agent'' that was even more deadly than the original.

Bad enough that the original Spanish Lady killed 30+ million (mostly healthy young men), but a genetically engineered version that could be even more deadly is horrific. Seeing what a mess Russia is in these days, especially for hard cash, you better hope no-one buys some.

All said and done, the thing that really freaked me out about this program was the fact I'd just finished a novel that delt with the same subject. Syncronicity or what????

ian@huth
15-03-2005, 00:46
It will probably be disease that polishes off mankind rather than natural disasters. This could either be disease following a major natural disaster or a super bug that is resistant to all known medication. In todays world it is very easy and quick to move about the globe and something fatal may come along that is quickly passed from person to person but takes a very long while to be first detected.

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 00:54
;) It will probably be disease that polishes off mankind rather than natural disasters. This could either be disease following a major natural disaster or a super bug that is resistant to all known medication. In todays world it is very easy and quick to move about the globe and something fatal may come along that is quickly passed from person to person but takes a very long while to be first detected.

Which is how the scientists reckoned Spanish Lady was spread. Prolly from Asia to America, and then from America to Europe via the arrival of American troops to fight in France toward the end of WW1.

IMHO, if something nasty comes along an smites (and no in the religious sense) the human race, will be be missed?

Dont think so really. And lets face it, if we do manage by some fluke to grt into space, all we'll really do is spread the diseases of greed and intollerance to the stars. So on the ballance of things, perhaps humanity deserves a cataclismic event to sh*t-kick the arrogance out of us.

Just my 2 pence worth mind.

AndrewJ
15-03-2005, 09:49
Lets not forget collapsing cliffs hitting the sea and making a tsunami.

Ramrod
15-03-2005, 09:56
What about the ice age returning?? I had to do that for my nursing finial paper!!!!!Gee............thats useful for nursing :D

Stuart
15-03-2005, 10:38
What about the ice age returning?? I had to do that for my nursing finial paper!!!!!Gee............thats useful for nursing :D

Well, presumably we would need nurses to help people deal with the results of extreme cold (hypothermia, frost bite etc). :D

Halcyon
15-03-2005, 11:47
Worldwide zombie virus outbreak

You've been playing way too much Resident Evil :D

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 12:50
Hey dont forget Crustal Displacements.

Basically the earths crust slides on the mantle causing all sorts of crazy problems. If I remember correctly it is supposed to happen about every 28,000 years, and the last one was about 7,000 years ago.

AndrewJ
15-03-2005, 13:18
I like this happens every so many thousand years, how do we know, we are using the old dates of history, I doubt earth will have a timetable where every 67000years this happens, the Earth is neverending, always changing always doing something different, what could have made ever 67000 years could now be 1003 years or more? I mean we have blown nukes,h-bombs all kinds of bombs off all over the planet, we just don't know we are sitting ducks and here for the ride.

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 15:45
I like this happens every so many thousand years, how do we know, we are using the old dates of history, I doubt earth will have a timetable where every 67000years this happens, the Earth is neverending, always changing always doing something different, what could have made ever 67000 years could now be 1003 years or more? I mean we have blown nukes,h-bombs all kinds of bombs off all over the planet, we just don't know we are sitting ducks and here for the ride.

Because major geological events leave a record of themselves in geological formations. These can then be dated with reasonable accuracy, and thus a possible timescale for recurring events can be extrapolated.

nfs6600
15-03-2005, 15:47
Addition to the list......my wind, had a curry for dinner and it's passing fast!!

Nugget
15-03-2005, 16:00

Now Incog - you know for a fact that, if the worse does happen, the lottery will take place for which of the fat people get eaten first. They'll have had their share of food while supplies were bountiful, so they'll have to give somehting back to the planet. Oh, and we need to bear in mind that, if the worst were to happen, no fat person would want to live in a world without McDonalds :D

Waiver: Please note that there is no hint of any sort of suggestion that I believe Incog to be fat or, indeed, anything other than perfect :tu:

You've been playing way too much Resident Evil :D

Maybe Resident Evil is actually a training and survival guide :Yikes:

Hadn't though about that, had you ;)

AndrewJ
15-03-2005, 16:06
I tell you the Coveant are coming with The Flood, its Halo we need we need thousands of Halo suits... millions...with blue laser guns, and plasma rifles and rocket lauchers.

Or just give my dog some baked beans, and await the backfire.

:sick: