PDA

View Full Version : A Religious Question

Matthew
14-03-2005, 21:57
I'm trying to finish my RE homework but I'm stuck on the question and cannot find anything easy to understand on the web.

Heres the question:
What happened to Cleopas and his friend on the road to Emmaus?

Does anyone know the answer?

Millay
14-03-2005, 22:01
hey try this for size

http://www.alaemmaus.org/luke24.htm

Matthew
14-03-2005, 22:03
Thanks.

Russ
14-03-2005, 22:18
hey try this for size

http://www.alaemmaus.org/luke24.htm

I'm glad you knew :shrug:

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:22
he ran away with a wench hahahaha, no only joking, I hated re considering I got an A!!!!!

Matthew
14-03-2005, 22:41
I don't even try and I'm like down to get a B. Oh well its a GCSE and that is all that matters.

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:49
YEah but do u want 2 b a monk or something??? RE is not that important mate belive me!!!!

Russ
14-03-2005, 22:50
Isn't it???

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:59
I got and A Russ and I am pretty sure that did not get me into uno okay!!!!!!

Russ
14-03-2005, 23:03
???

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:04
I did not need it to do nursing course!!!!

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:07
oh dear a religious thred... scaqred now.

I think re has a place even if it is just to teach understanding that different people have different faiths.. one of those subjects like sex ed... no help for working world.. but usefull for understanding those around us.

Russ
14-03-2005, 23:09
oh dear a religious thred... scaqred now.

I think re has a place even if it is just to teach understanding that different people have different faiths.. one of those subjects like sex ed... no help for working world.. but usefull for understanding those around us.

My point exactly! Have a greenie for that :D

Graham M
14-03-2005, 23:10
Nothing wrong with religion, but i do not see RE as an important subject at school.

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:11
Erm no, it did not eva come up!!!! infact a number of patients asked me to pass that question!!!!!

Russ
14-03-2005, 23:12
Well I didn't see French as being all that important but we still had to do it!

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:15
I've got an RE O-level and I won the RE prize that year.

BTW I'm an athiest! :D

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:15
Yeah but I can speak fullent french and I have needed it plenty of times!!!!

Russ
14-03-2005, 23:17
And I've done missionery work in Macedonia and had to use my RE background to help me there.

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:18
but it hasnt really helped me in this country in fact most patients ignore that question!!!!!

Tezcatlipoca
14-03-2005, 23:18
I've never had any real-world use for French or RE, but I think they were still both worth doing.

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:19
You certainly have the English language terrified. :D

Allie you really are the forum Mrs Malaprop..... :D

Or is it Reverend Spooner? :erm:

Jon M
14-03-2005, 23:23
It's difficult to teach "life" skills at school.
RE is one avenue, unfortunately it's rarely used properly ie; to enlighten rather than disappear into obscurity, like Millay said.

The reason things like this are becoming more important, is because parents increasingly see school as a glorified baby sitter all through a child's education, instead of a complimentary service to their own home teaching efforts.
Some parents don't even bother to talk to their kids (i see this first hand, running a youth group), a video and a plate of oven chips is a routine for many, sadly :(.

School has become not only a dumping ground academically, but morally (ethically) and socially too.

Kids are getting worse, but the spiral began long ago, because (a generalisation obviously) bad parents, breed bad kids and therefore increasingly poor future parents.

Questions like.. "will things ever get better?" and "do people actually know the difference between right and wrong?" are a whole debate apart.

(partially directed at the "youth" thread, couldn't find a way to split the points up)

Matth
14-03-2005, 23:24
http://www.apatheticagnostic.com

Our Articles of Faith

The existence of a Supreme Being is unknown and unknowable.
If there is a Supreme Being, then that being appears to act as if entirely apathetic to events in our universe.
We are apathetic to the existence or non-existence of a Supreme Being.

Sums up my feelings exactly - though I also decribe myself as "C of E by default"

Tezcatlipoca
14-03-2005, 23:27
RE isn't just about Christianity though. It teaches about other faiths, which, as Millay said, is good, as it helps (or should help) kids understand about other beliefs.

Jon M
14-03-2005, 23:30
http://www. a pathetic agnostic .com
I love irony.

Don't take it personally, I genuinely pity an apathetic point of view. It must be the most depressing world to live in.

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:30
i swaer someone was stuck with there homework earlier.. but i could be wrong so much seems to have happened since then ;)

Maggy
14-03-2005, 23:31
I'm an athiest by choice but I chose to study RE BEFORE I decided.I did need to have the background to choose after all...

However thirty years ago if I said I didn't believe in God it worried the students.Now they couldn't care less.... :shrug:

Jon M
14-03-2005, 23:34
However thirty years ago if I said I didn't believe in God it worried the students.Now they couldn't care less.... :shrug:
interesting point, personally i'd compare that decline with the "youth" thread.. but I know I'd be in the minority there

Xaccers
14-03-2005, 23:56
I used to love RE, but we didn't have it as a GCSE exam or grade etc.
It is one of those useful if not "academically important" subject, but it's usefulness depends on how good the teacher is.
We had Mr Elphick (apparently related to the guy who played Boon) and he was fantastic.
A devout christian, but a believer that the purpose of RE was to spread understanding, not beliefs or conversions.
I can't express how much respect I have for him.
Russ and Towny actually remind me of him alot.

re not believing in god and people's reactions, when I told some JW's I knew that I didn't believe in god (when they assumed I was CoE and were trying to mock the celebration of xmas on 25th Dec) you should have seen their faces!
I think they would have been happier if I'd said I was a satanist, at least then it would mean I believed in their god and jesus!
But then, at their meetings, they are warned to "beware athiests, they will lead you astray"

ian@huth
14-03-2005, 23:57
Education isn't so much about the subjects you study, rather about learning how to research subjects, plan what you are doing and communicate the results.

Millay
14-03-2005, 23:59
It is one of those useful if not "academically important" subject, but it's usefulness depends on how good the teacher is.
We had Mr Elphick (apparently related to the guy who played Boon) and he was fantastic.
A devout christian, but a believer that the purpose of RE was to spread understanding, not beliefs or conversions.

Micheal Elphick went to my old school, (before my time).

Xaccers
15-03-2005, 01:08
Micheal Elphick went to my old school, (before my time).

He was one of the handful of excellent teachers PPS had back in those days

homealone
15-03-2005, 01:28

re not believing in god and people's reactions, when I told some JW's I knew that I didn't believe in god (when they assumed I was CoE and were trying to mock the celebration of xmas on 25th Dec) you should have seen their faces!
I think they would have been happier if I'd said I was a satanist, at least then it would mean I believed in their god and jesus!
But then, at their meetings, they are warned to "beware athiests, they will lead you astray"

what a brilliant post, we had a similar teacher - teaching understanding, he did try....

Matthew
15-03-2005, 07:52
French and RE are so boring but they get you another GCSE towards how ever many you need. Who cares really aslong as you get them it doesnt matter what in.

allieyoung666
15-03-2005, 08:01
I remeber when I had my uni interview and one of the smart ass people in that room turned round and said have you ever thought of becomming a nun!!!!!!

me283
15-03-2005, 08:43
I'm an athiest by choice but I chose to study RE BEFORE I decided.I did need to have the background to choose after all...

I had a great RE teacher, nicknamed "Rabbi". Being a smart*ss I once told him I didn't need to do RE as I was an atheist. He said "You need to learn about religions before you can say you don't believe in any of them". A valuable lesson for me - try to learn about something before having an opinion on it. (He also used to tell us stories about the other teachers, and turn the lights on with a kung fu kick - but that's another story!)

I'm still an atheist though.

Russ
15-03-2005, 09:06

:clap:

It doesn't happen often but a great post by Xaccers in a religious thread.

Nemesis
15-03-2005, 09:43
Religion .... again .....

I'm an Athiest, have been for a long long time, however as a child I attended Church on Sundays, Sundayy School, Did RE in School, and still remember the Lords Prayer (The good version).

My children both went through school learning RE, and both did very well at the subject, I did not persuade them that it was wrong or a waste of time. That choice is for them, when they are able to make a reasonably educated choice on the matter.

I have not and will not try and sway anyone in any direction. But I will join in a healthy debate on the subject.

Religion interests me on different levels, and the commonality comes down to their Faith in their God. Faith is a powerful, personal, force, that will come and go over time. My philosophy is if having faith in any religion makes you at peace, and harms no one else, then good for you :D

BTW ..... why did they change the Lords Prayer ???

Russ
15-03-2005, 09:44
Who changed it??? And what did 'they' change it to??? What was it in the first place?? :eek:

Nemesis
15-03-2005, 09:48
This is the one I learnt in school

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power,
and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.
.. and this is the one my Son learnt
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen

ian@huth
15-03-2005, 09:56
French and RE are so boring but they get you another GCSE towards how ever many you need. Who cares really aslong as you get them it doesnt matter what in.At least a smattering of French is useful if you go to France but I had to take Latin which WAS a complete waste of time.

Stuart
15-03-2005, 10:11

<snip>

I had two RE teachers at school. One, a catholic, taught us all that Catholocism was the only valid faith (which generated a lot of complaints - my school wasn't catholic). The other, who was bought in to replace the Catholic was a Jew. However, he taught us about all religions, and taught us to actively question what we are told (which is a lesson I try to follow even today - questioning, if done correctly, helps us learn).

I have found that what I was taught by that teacher has helped me in dealing with different cultures. I have never used what I learned with the other teacher though.

orangebird
15-03-2005, 10:11
interesting point, personally i'd compare that decline with the "youth" thread.. but I know I'd be in the minority there

Yes, you would. My father is a 56 year old respectable, caring, honest man who works hard. He passed his 11+ and has always done well.

He's never believed in any form of god his entire life. It's bad to assume that anyone who doesn't 'believe' in God is a form of deliquent.

allieyoung666
15-03-2005, 10:31
All a can remeber from my RE lessons is watching videos on abortion at the age of 15 and it really freaked me out!!!!!! Mind you it is a catholic 2ndry school

Jon M
15-03-2005, 10:35
Yes, you would. My father is a 56 year old respectable, caring, honest man who works hard. He passed his 11+ and has always done well.

He's never believed in any form of god his entire life. It's bad to assume that anyone who doesn't 'believe' in God is a form of deliquent.
It was a generalisation, not an accusation.
I'm sure your Dad is a great guy, with a good moral understanding and perfectly capable of raising well adjusted offspring.

My comment was not a statement of fact, why take it so personally?

allieyoung666
15-03-2005, 10:40
Paul does not belive and I do, but it does not make him a bad person. He has had lots of bad experiences in his life, which made him the way he is with religion, I must admit, sometimes I am ashaimed to be a RC, the way some of them go on!

orangebird
15-03-2005, 10:55
All a can remeber from my RE lessons is watching videos on abortion at the age of 15 and it really freaked me out!!!!!! Mind you it is a catholic 2ndry school

LOL.... NIce objective, unbiased point of view then.....

me283
15-03-2005, 11:00
At least a smattering of French is useful if you go to France but I had to take Latin which WAS a complete waste of time.

I took Latin too, but thought it was a waste of time. However I studied languages a lot, and now find that it actually did help a little. I guess that shows how short-sighted we can be when we're young? I always recall reading this carved on a desk:

Latin is a dead language,
As dead as dead can be;
First it killed the Romans,
And now it's killing me!

Russ
15-03-2005, 11:49
I had two RE teachers at school. One, a catholic, taught us all that Catholocism was the only valid faith

From experience, this seems to be a prevailant attitude in many Catholics.

It's bad to assume that anyone who doesn't 'believe' in God is a form of deliquent.

That has never EVER been suggested on this forum.

Xaccers
15-03-2005, 16:20

We used to watch the 10 commandments all the time as we never managed to watch it all the way through and it would be rewound by the next lesson.
It kept most of the kids quiet while some of us got on with theological discussions.

We had a second RE teacher who thankfully I never had to deal with.
Apparently if you weren't a christian he had a very low view of you.

andyl
15-03-2005, 17:02
I'm an atheist who had a pitiful amount of RE at school but I now find the different faiths really interesting and have in recent years started looking into the belief systems. As a result I think it is depressing that, whilst I would still not think I know that much about religions, I still know a lot more than others. That's depressing because I think if we all had a better understanding of different belief systems we would be more tolerant of them. That knowledge may not be of particular use in getting a job but it may help us all be more welcoming and less afraid of each other.

I Pm's Russ earlier (before I looked on this thread) about something which caught my eye in yesterday's paper; a multi-faith centre in Derby. I just thought a place of worship where people of different faiths could come together was a brilliant idea. Link below; beware it's written by the architectural critic but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1436986,00.html

Stuart
15-03-2005, 17:37
never managed to watch it all the way through and it would be rewound by the next lesson.
It kept most of the kids quiet while some of us got on with theological discussions.

We had a second RE teacher who thankfully I never had to deal with.
Apparently if you weren't a christian he had a very low view of you.

What, The Ten Commandments (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/) with Charlton Heston? At four hours (ish) long, it would take weeks to fit that into RE lessons..

Xaccers
15-03-2005, 17:51
What, The Ten Commandments (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/) with Charlton Heston? At four hours (ish) long, it would take weeks to fit that into RE lessons..

Longer when you take into account that the tape will be rewound between viewings and always played from the begining :D