PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this prob or can help me?

holidayrep
14-03-2005, 18:38
I have been trying to upgrade my speed (this isnt the problem so please read on :) )

Basically it seems my account isnt set up correctly, even though we have had a cm through NTL for 4 years NTLsaying we have a dialup account and that our MAC address isnt registered. I am going round in circles with NTL, the people on cs have been great but have said I really need to speak to broadband tech support.... this is where I am going round in circles, the guy I have just been on the phone to insisted I didnt have a cm and I had dial up (I nearly lost it at that point as I know the difference !)

So can anyone help me? Is this all to do with the account being relatively old for this service?

HR

nostra
14-03-2005, 18:41
it **sounds** as if you have a cable modem that is not linked to an account, being a very early ntl bb customer. you would need to talk to technical support to get this resolved, this would involve your cable modem being removed off the system and you being generated a new pin number and needing to re-register yourself

where in the country are you??

p.s. you do have a cable modem and not dialup right ?? :disturbd: ;) ;)

holidayrep
14-03-2005, 18:47
LOL Nostra, dont even go there as trust me I was very nearly banging my head against the wall at that point, to be fair I am sure there is some one stupid enough in the world to think they had cm and not a dialup account.

I am in Nottingham.

Do you think this is to do with how old the account is?

HR

Raistlin
14-03-2005, 18:48
Hi holidayrep,

:welcome: to CF :D

Sounds to me like you've got yourself confused, you probably have dial-up and not Cable Modem.....

<ducks!>

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I really can't advise much on this one, just stopped by to say :welcome: really, I'm sure that there are a load of people here who will be able offer good constructive advice (not like me :D ) - nostra's excellent advice is just the start.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and stick around once your problems solved, this can be a great place.

Cheers,

Raist

Florence
14-03-2005, 18:50
If they check the records properly they might find you have two acounts one dialup and one BB I had two once they deleted the dialup on my request.

nostra
14-03-2005, 18:54
i think that this is the situation...

the cable modem is just on the system and not actually associated to a record

phone up technical support, advise them that you have a cable modem and have the mac address handy... ask them to search for your cable modem by mac address

i guess you cant do the cable modem upgrades online...

if the above is true you will need to register the cable modem again so it can be linked to a sabs account

this will need to be done in technical support

Voodoodan
15-03-2005, 16:54
Hi,

Interesting one this because I currently have no Internet connection, but can access my mail at work. CS sent me a mail saying 'Thanks for choosing a dial-up connection', when in fact I have the 1.5mb / 3mb broadband and have had broadband with NTL for about 3 years!

However, CS have confirmed on the phone that I have broadband.

Confused? Tune in to next week's edition of SOAP!

davedefeet
16-03-2005, 04:09
When I signed up for NTL Broadband back in 2001, I was told by the install engineer, to call CS and give my MAC, which I did, and I was online. I was NEVER told I needed to register, so I just used my old ntlworld 1-1-1 dial-up mail account.

A year or so later when I wanted to change my speed, I tried the ntlworld speed upgrade; but that failed, because, apparently the modem was "provisioned" but I was not registered for BB. :Yikes: At the time there was a way of registering a provisioned modem, using a special serial number, so I did that (as advised by tech support) and all was fine :)

:confused: HOWEVER; You can no longer do that type of registration, so call tech support, hopefully you'll get a "good un" who'll create you a PIN and get your MAC nuked (only tech support can nuke) which will allow you to register @ https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cablereg with serial ntl ct8 cj486 ;)

If Tech support say they cannot create a PIN... call sales, I think the number is 0800 083 1234 and ask them, you'll find many of the other CS depts will be unable to do this (lack of training) but Sales do it all day, so should be a breeze for them.

Hope that helps.
:angel: What the hell am I doing up this time of night? Bedtime methinx!:angel:

Nick_15
16-03-2005, 13:46
I came across the same problem when I upgraded to 2mb, was getting the error "cable modem is not registered for this user name".

Phoned CS got the usual itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s "not available in your area until next week"

I had replaced my STB for a cable modem last summer, which gave me a new account.
I came up with the idea of trying my old account login and it upgraded my cable modem straight away.

So I would say to you try any old NTL accounts you got, one might work.