PDA

View Full Version : SACM Connections

Dougie
14-03-2005, 17:24
Apologies for the somewhat bizarre question. But can someone please tell me how a SACM is connected to the NTL network?

Paulie
14-03-2005, 17:28
Mine is connected via the junction box on the side of my house with a seperate cable running up to the modem.

paulyoung666
14-03-2005, 17:56
mine is connected to a box inside the house via the coax , why the question ????????? , :welcome: to the site btw :)

th'engineer
14-03-2005, 18:04
Apologies for the somewhat bizarre question. But can someone please tell me how a SACM is connected to the NTL network?

Sorry for this one by Cable :p:

Paul
14-03-2005, 18:44
Apologies for the somewhat bizarre question. But can someone please tell me how a SACM is connected to the NTL network?By a coax cable. Why exactly do you want to know ?

Dougie
14-03-2005, 19:50
Ok so perhaps I should have been a bit more specific!!!! The reason I want to know? Well, I'm considering switching my TV to Sky but currently have my BB through my STB. I just wanted to know what kind of work would be involved in wiring up a SACM. At the moment my STB is connected to the white junction box by coax(?) and the PC is connected to the STB through a CAT 5 cable connection. If I opt for a SACM, is it the coax that is currently the input to the STB that becomes the input for the modem?

paulyoung666
14-03-2005, 20:01
Ok so perhaps I should have been a bit more specific!!!! The reason I want to know? Well, I'm considering switching my TV to Sky but currently have my BB through my STB. I just wanted to know what kind of work would be involved in wiring up a SACM. At the moment my STB is connected to the white junction box by coax(?) and the PC is connected to the STB through a CAT 5 cable connection. If I opt for a SACM, is it the coax that is currently the input to the STB that becomes the input for the modem?

yes indeed it is :) , all that will be needed is a longer run of cable assuming that you need one :)

badnbusy
14-03-2005, 20:05
ntl will usually let you cancel your TV service, but still keep the STB and just use it for broadband and just be charged for broadband. Alternatively, just tell them you want a SACM when you phone to cancel the TV, and the engineer will come out and install a longer coax cable from the ntl box on the front of your house to the room where your PC is in. The SACM will then sit on your desk (or somewhere close) and the coax he installed goes into the SACM. Then you just use the CAT5 cable provided to connect SACM to network card in PC.

beerygoodness
15-03-2005, 08:44
unless you have a long enough cat5 cable then you can hide the sacm behind the tv or something and use the original cat5 cable

Dougie
15-03-2005, 08:59
Thanks for all the info. Now I understand :)

Cheers