PDA

View Full Version : *ALL* Speed Upgrade Discussion In Here Please (Part 4)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Nemesis
09-03-2005, 13:14
New Speed Upgrades Thread (Part 4)

Previous Threads

Part 1 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22519)
Part 2 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=24294)
Part 3 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25058)

... Now what were you saying ... :D

nostra
09-03-2005, 13:15
th'engineer ...

have you tried in any way to upgrade the speed?

because automatic upgrades for existing customers have not started yet

halycon...

did you try restarting the modem??

IanUK
09-03-2005, 13:18
the problem is that those that are saying no are following the procedure that has been told to them as these upgrades are supposed to be automatic and is not the csr's fault

but i agree all in all a bad customer service experience :( as some are then allowing you to do this bit of a CSR lottery :( Its a bit petty I suppose to moan if these upgrades do go through automatically in the next few days, but if it takes a few months like last time for us STB owners then basically they are charging us more for less and actively refusing to upgrade some people seemingly randomly, once again its NTL's customer service creating a problem, NTL's own website says for us STB owners to ring to be upgraded to 3mb, but when we call some people are upgraded and some are not despite it being advertised as available...

andyl
09-03-2005, 13:19
I only went through to CS because the online update failed; in such cases I think CS should do the upgrade regardless of whether an automatic update is to follow. Have to say though that despite the confusion, they've ben very polite and I've had my upgrade.

Incidentally debate vis who is and isn't getting (can't remember - Engineer?); I'm ex C&W (and neighbour Middleton :) and have got it so I don't think that is the issue as such.

Polite perseverance is my suggestion to those struggling with CS.

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 13:49
Still on 750K stb NW yes tried re starting three fingered reset

So when do we get it then

IanUK
09-03-2005, 13:50
Its the bad communication as always, for instance.

Customer goes to http://www.ntlworld.com
Customer chooses 'Upgrade Your Speed'

Customer gets choice of 1mb 2mb 3mb

Customer chooses 3mb STB

Customer is told to ring CS, Customer rings CS and then its a lottery.
EVERYONE should get the upgrade, its advertised on their site for all to see, but some are getting refused.

Very bad service indeed, why are some of us second class citizens ?
Why are some of us paying for half the speed currently ?

How long will this difference last (it was months last time)
If its months this time then its time to start demanding refunds, if it is the end of this week then fine.

(BTW my STB just lost the Broadband signal with the flashing green light, first time in the year since I've had NTL, oh goody I though, perhaps they are doing it after all, but after about 3 mins it came back, but no upgrade)

nostra
09-03-2005, 13:52
Still on 750K stb NW yes tried re starting three fingered reset

i dont believe that anyone has had their speed upgrades on stb automatically yet without contacting customer service...

anyone want to correct me on this??

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 13:52
th'engineer ...

have you tried in any way to upgrade the speed?

because automatic upgrades for existing customers have not started yet

halycon...

yes stb rebooted bet someone has played with my config to keep me on 750K:D

mrkipling
09-03-2005, 13:55
Im currently on the 750kbps and the earliest I can get an upgrade on my pace STB is the 5th of April, If i phone up and cancel TV (been thinking about it for a while) will the swap to stand alone CM be any quicker ?

It seems a bit of a crazy waiting time, just for a straight swap.

Chris W
09-03-2005, 13:57
Im currently on the 750kbps and the earliest I can get an upgrade on my pace STB is the 5th of April, If i phone up and cancel TV (been thinking about it for a while) will the swap to stand alone CM be any quicker ?

It seems a bit of a crazy waiting time, just for a straight swap.

I would imagine the installation date for a SACM will be the same as a date for a swap....

nostra
09-03-2005, 13:57
i wouldnt have thought so because that time given is for an engineer to call out i believe so you would still need the engineer to fit the sacm so the appointment would pretty much the same if that was the earliest you were quoted

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:02
Its the bad communication as always, for instance.

Customer goes to http://www.ntlworld.com
Customer chooses 'Upgrade Your Speed'

Customer gets choice of 1mb 2mb 3mb

Customer chooses 3mb STB

Customer is told to ring CS, Customer rings CS and then its a lottery.
EVERYONE should get the upgrade, its advertised on their site for all to see, but some are getting refused.

Very bad service indeed, why are some of us second class citizens ?
Why are some of us paying for half the speed currently ?

Terrible service... Free upgrades? What on earth were ntl thinking of? :rolleyes:

How long will this difference last (it was months last time)
If its months this time then its time to start demanding refunds, if it is the end of this week then fine.

A refund on what? Are you not getting the service you signed up for? :dunce:

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 14:03
i wouldnt have thought so because that time given is for an engineer to call out i believe so you would still need the engineer to fit the sacm so the appointment would pretty much the same if that was the earliest you were quoted

So when are the samsung stbs being hit with the upgrade

reboot again

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:06
The internal comms that I've seen say all the upgrades will be done over the next few months. Not once was it ever stated that it eould happen immediately, so I really don't know what you're all getting so wound up for?

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 14:07
The internal comms that I've seen say all the upgrades will be done over the next few months. Not once was it ever stated that it eould happen immediately, so I really don't know what you're all getting so wound up for?

So there is the answer wait and see it may happen soon:rolleyes:

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:11
So there is the answer wait and see it may happen soon:rolleyes:

Basically, yes. Unfortunately, ntl's crystal ball is out of order, and they really couldn't predict the exact date and time they'd be able to upgrade over 1 million customers.

nostra
09-03-2005, 14:13
i dont think the issue is the fact that it will take place over the next few months its the case that it is so hit and miss...

some people phoning up and being upgraded
some people phoning up and being told that they will be automatically upgraded

as you say advise is that updates will be automatic but each and every person is getting treated differently ;)

sorry th'engineer im not sure
maybe someone else might know that answer

Richard M
09-03-2005, 14:16
i dont think the issue is the fact that it will take place over the next few months its the case that it is so hit and miss...

some people phoning up and being upgraded
some people phoning up and being told that they will be automatically upgraded

and some people phoning up and being told that the upgrades are only for new customers... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 14:18
and some people phoning up and being told that the upgrades are only for new customers... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thats not fair it should be existing customers first, like me :D

ooze
09-03-2005, 14:19
Ive got a ntl coming out to my house on saturday to install a new cable modem and will be upgraded to 2mb then, im currently on 300k Pace STB in Derby (ex C&W), sod waiting till april time for a new STB :P

keithscott2001
09-03-2005, 14:22
bit like that advert where all the stuff is for "brand new customers only!"

I can laugh becuase i've been upgraded!

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 14:22

If that is true and it does take a few months then users on 2Mb will be getting alot more than the 750k users for a few months therefore people can demand compensation.

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 14:25
Do NTL CSRs get briefed about new services and changes or are they left to find out for themselves?

Could it be that NTL are assuming that nobody knows about the speed increases as they haven't informed customers or slapped it on the ntlworld site? I know that the upgrade your service links on ntlworld have been updated to show the new services but who would normally look at those unless they were thinking of upgrading anyway? If it wasn't for Cableforum nobody would probably know about these speed increases or potential caps.

nostra
09-03-2005, 14:26
If that is true and it does take a few months then users on 2Mb will be getting alot more than the 750k users for a few months therefore people can demand compensation.

remember though that this is a free upgrade and you are paying currently for the 750k package, i think that your demand for compensation will be met with a... no :)

the argument is that some areas require upgrading before the ability to roll out

Do NTL CSRs get briefed about new services and changes or are they left to find out for themselves?

they should have been briefed on this.

the upgrades are going to be automatic to existing users however new users can use the services already

problem is that some people are being too nice and upgrading people, where as the others are following the process ;)

TigaSefi
09-03-2005, 14:27

Could it be that NTL are assuming that nobody knows about the speed increases as they haven't informed customers or slapped it on the ntlworld site? I know that the upgrade your service links on ntlworld have been updated to show the new services but who would normally look at those unless they were thinking of upgrading anyway? If it wasn't for Cableforum nobody would probably know about these speed increases or potential caps.

Why do you think NTL finally allow us to stay after all these years of battling the site owners ? ;)

fire
09-03-2005, 14:28
I tried once yesterday and also my girlfriend tried same thing "automatic".I have 1.5mbps at the moment which i just wanted to have for a few months,i just wanted to have the 3mbit to see the differences and cause of the same usuage allowance i was going to downgrade and save £156.

I am going to try later and get it one more time,pointing them to this website,if they say no i shall downgrade to silver.I wonder if i will then end up with 2 mbit,more likely 750 kbps :D

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 14:28
remember though that this is a free upgrade and you are paying currently for the 750k package, i think that your demand for compensation will be met with a... no :)

the argument is that some areas require upgrading before the ability to roll out

That argument is unfortunately flawed as NTL no longer offer 750k so all new users will be given 2Mb that means all area's are able to cope with it, it's just NTL that isn't allowing all users to have it yet, i can understand that, but if orangebird is correct on the timescale then all 750k users that remain on 750k for the timeframe he mentions should be placed on the 1Mb price plan not the 2Mb price plan.

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 14:29
If that is true and it does take a few months then users on 2Mb will be getting alot more than the 750k users for a few months therefore people can demand compensation.Demand compensation because they haven't got the free upgrade at the same time as anyone else? :erm: On what grounds, what have they lost?

Marge
09-03-2005, 14:31

:rolleyes: and so it starts

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 14:33

Take a deep breath - there are those of us that appreciate you ;):):ghugs:

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 14:33
Demand compensation because they haven't got the free upgrade at the same time as anyone else? :erm: On what grounds, what have they lost?

They have lost 1.25Mb... my point is NTL don't offer 750k anymore so in essence my service is no longer 750k it's 2Mb I am paying for a 2Mb service not 750k. If the timescale orangebird talks about is correct and it takes a few months for me or anybody else to be given the speed we now pay for (free upgrade or not we're still paying for it) then they can demand compensation as their speed is less than half what it should be.

Everybody is saying be greatful for the free upgrade, I don't understand why? We do pay for the service, they're increasing their speeds to compete with ADSL and Telewest. If orangebird's timescale is correct then it's a absurd upgrade for STB users.

etccarmageddon
09-03-2005, 14:35
I think you would only be able to ask for compensation if NTL had actually promised you something which they had failed to deliver. Have they written to you saying you would be getting an upgrade and with a specific firm date - if not then where's the grounds to moan and talk about compensation.

The free upgrades only started about 24 hours ago and it's still only unofficially available for existing customers.

bilal
09-03-2005, 14:35
just wandering is anyone getting slow broswer speeds... because it takes ages to connect but once it connects it loads fine.. sometimes i have to refresh the page 3-4 times :\ is this due the speed upgrade?
or could it be my router :dozey: ?

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 14:36

It's a "if" scenario, a few months is pathetic and i doubt that estimate is correct. If a few weeks or a month then no users don't have a reason to complain.

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 14:36
They have lost 1.25Mb... my point is NTL don't offer 750k anymore so in essence my service is no longer 750k it's 2Mb I am paying for a 2Mb service not 750k. If the timescale orangebird talks about is correct and it takes a few months for me or anybody else to be given the speed we now pay for (free upgrade or not we're still paying for it) then they can demand compensation as their speed is less than half what it should be.

Everybody is saying be greatful for the free upgrade, I don't understand why? We do pay for the service, they're increasing their speeds to compete with ADSL and Telewest. If orangebird's timescale is correct then it's a absurd upgrade for STB users.

Yes but you were paying for a 750k service when you signed up. This is what you signed up for. Therefore your service SHOULD be 750k.

As this is what you agreed to where is the problem?

If you don't want/agree with a free upgrade for whatever reason - then you can go elsewhere.

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:38
They have lost 1.25Mb... my point is NTL don't offer 750k anymore so in essence my service is no longer 750k it's 2Mb

Err, no, it's not. You agrred to a 750k service, and that's what you're getting.

I am paying for a 2Mb service not 750k.

Once again, no your not. You're paying for what you ordered, a 750k service.

If the timescale orangebird talks about is correct and it takes a few months for me or anybody else to be given the speed we now pay for (free upgrade or not we're still paying for it) then they can demand compensation as their speed is less than half what it should be.

Go on then, try it. I could do with a laugh.

Yawn. ntl aren't competing with Telewest. And they also outpaced adsl even before the FREE upgrades.

ntl are covering their backs by stating 'the next few months'. It's highly unlikely it will take this long, but it's always wise to underpromise and overdeliver...

Marge

When push comes to shove the original speed was 512 so should have ntl have billed you for the extra speed you were getting. No !!!! Ntl are giving customers a free upgrade, you haven't lost anything in fact you're gaining yet still it's time to moan and groan about it all. Compensation, my arse !!!! :rolleyes:

Shaun
Demand compensation because they haven't got the free upgrade at the same time as anyone else? :erm: On what grounds, what have they lost?

I love the way they've been branded as FREE!!! :rolleyes: :monkey:

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 14:39
I tried once yesterday and also my girlfriend tried same thing "automatic".I have 1.5mbps at the moment which i just wanted to have for a few months,i just wanted to have the 3mbit to see the differences and cause of the same usuage allowance i was going to downgrade and save £156.

I am going to try later and get it one more time,pointing them to this website,if they say no i shall downgrade to silver.I wonder if i will then end up with 2 mbit,more likely 750 kbps :DIt might be interesting to see what the result is if you call and ask them what tiers you can downgrade to. If they say 2Mb and 1Mb you can then say that there must be something higher than 2Mb so you will have that. I would imagine the 750k and 300k tiers are no longer on their systems as an option to move to.

Nemesis

You have "lost" nothing. You are paying for a 750k service up to the time that ntl decide to upgrade you to 2Meg. New customers will be installed with 2Meg, but the time it takes to upgrade 1 million customers is not insignificant. The upgrade is free, and you currently enjoy the same service you had last week, so you have lost nothing at all. You will gain when ntl upgrade you.

Not really .... have you tried to replace god knows how many STB's on one day before ... ?

The point is it's a free upgrade starting from 8th March ..... they are still keeping to their word, you will be upgraded, just give them some time.

You have lost nothing, and no compensation is due.

etccarmageddon
I think the talk of 'compensation' is fairly insulting to those who've worked hard to give a 'free' product improvement.

You're getting vastly improved speeds either now or within the next few weeks or months. There's no longer a £25 one off charge. And the cap sounds fairly lax. What more do you want!!!

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:42
I love the way they've been branded as FREE!!! :rolleyes: :monkey:

Why shouldn't they? It is free ie at no charge. :shrug: :dunce:

I think the talk of 'compensation' is fairly insulting to those who've worked hard to give a 'free' product improvement.

You're getting vastly improved speeds either now or within the next few weeks or months. There's no longer a £25 one off charge. And the cap sounds fairly lax. What more do you want!!!

The moon on a stick by the sounds of it. :rolleyes:

Nemesis
09-03-2005, 14:42
This is like the guy at the supermarket handing out free packets of biscuits ....... then he runs out just before he gets to you .....

Gonna complain ...... ????

Oh and he tells you he'll be back next week, in the mean time you might want to BUY some.

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 14:43
I cant believe the rubbish im reading here,on the 8th of march ntls web sit offered the new speeds to new customers so anyone joining on or after this date got new speeds,if ntls long term customers ment anything to them then they should get the new speeds at the same time as new customers,I know this wouldnt be easy so the fairest way would have been sort out your older customers first afterall we are paying more than new signers as they get deals so we are worth more to ntl than new customers so why not treat us at least equaly

andyl
09-03-2005, 14:45

Because there's an NTL webpage saying the update is available for cable modem and STB customers I would guess ;)

But...... credit where it's due, 750k to 2MB (in my case) is a decent upgrade and having politely fought my way through the internal comms battles I've got it. There does seem to be a staff training/comms issue here though, given the inconsistent responses people are getting - and it's that that's causing the grief more than anything.

Well, world peace would be nice if you can fix it ;)

The free upgrade will do for the time being though!

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:45
I cant believe the rubbish im reading here,on the 8th of march ntls web sit offered the new speeds to new customers so anyone joining on or after this date got new speeds,if ntls long term customers ment anything to them then they should get the new speeds at the same time as new customers,I know this wouldnt be easy so the fairest way would have been sort out your older customers first afterall we are paying more than new signers as they get deals so we are worth more to ntl than new customers so why not treat us at least equaly

Because it's a damn sight easier to set up a new account than it is to amend an existing one. Also, It's going to take a bit of time to get rounnd the country and upgrade all the stbs that need doing. Get a grip. :rolleyes:

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 14:46
I love the way they've been branded as FREE!!! :rolleyes: :monkey:They are free to the customer but not free to NTL. It will have cost them a packet to supply.

Gogogo
09-03-2005, 14:47
Yes, for some people it's a bit like the new toy scenario, my brother's got a new toy I want one now, weep, weep tantrum. Over half of the world's population don't know where their next meal is coming and all we get is concern about broadband megs!!!

Well it's coming I can wait, considering the years of dial up I had to put up with broadband being impossible at my old address, I am quite happy to get along on 750k until the next free upgrade comes. Strewth people can really moan and moan. Though I do think NTL could have as usual learnt from the past and got a clear message out.

:)

IanUK
Personally I only mentioned compensation because its often the only way to get big companies to listen, my point was that the NTLWORLD site clearly states that the upgrade is available now, but STB users upon ringing CS (as expressly told to from the 'Upgrade' button on the OFFICIAL NTL website) are randomly told no or yes, why have NTL put this upgrade on their website and then only give it to some ?

A simple 'existing STB customers will be upgraded over the next few days' (as I was told on the phone) message on the STB page instead would have saved this hassle.

zing_deleted
my grip is fine employees at ntl are paid to do a job wether its harder or not are they not?? how would there jobs be secure if those treated unfairly by ntl just said stuff it and left??? older customers deserve at least equal treatment as we have paid said employees wages for years

fire
09-03-2005, 14:48
It might be interesting to see what the result is if you call and ask them what tiers you can downgrade to. If they say 2Mb and 1Mb you can then say that there must be something higher than 2Mb so you will have that. I would imagine the 750k and 300k tiers are no longer on their systems as an option to move to.

I may say i am phoning to downgrade my 1.5mbit without asking for 3 mbit,then say what what speed is the £25 a month option,if they say 750 kbps i will say thought it was 2 mbit now.Then i will say what i really want is the 3 mbit that is on your site and some people in my area have got,then ill stay on gold.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 14:48
I bet everybody that posted complaining about my post is on a SACM? Because anybody on a STB even a Samsung one atm should/will feel like a second-class customer especially the ones in a ex-C&W area. Especially the Manchester area's from some of the posts on the Part 3 post?

The person who said ntl giving STB's out takes time, yes it does, but why on Earth did they give users PACE set-top boxes in the first place when they knew about their lacking capabilities? They have limited connections and break down often upto now I've had 5 PACE set-top boxes while on NTL fortunately the last time it broke down they replaced it with a Samsung box.

tom101
09-03-2005, 14:49
I just phoned CS. My Pace STB will be replaced on 4th April between 8 and 12, (apparently this is the earliest they can do) and until then my service will be upgraded from 750K to 1M. I'm happy with this, the only bummer will be waiting in to see if the engineer turns up..... or rather my wife waiting in and getting stressed when the engineer doesn't turn up and then having to go through the whole thing again another day.

This is not a pop at NTL specifically, but surely companines ought to be able to arrange deliveries within say a two hour window these days, or at least phone the day before to say roughly what time they'll turn up?

Chris W
09-03-2005, 14:50
Yes, for some people it's a bit like the new toy scenario, my brother's got a new toy I want one now, weep, weep tantrum. Over half of the world's population don't know where their next meal is coming and all we get is concern about broadband megs!!!

Well it's coming I can wait, considering the years of dial up I had to put up with broadband being impossible at my old address, I am quite happy to get along on 750k until the next free upgrade comes. Strewth people can really moan and moan. Though I do think NTL could have as usual learnt from the past and got a clear message out.

:clap: someone with a grown up attitude

orangebird
09-03-2005, 14:51
my grip is fine employees at ntl are paid to do a job wether its harder or not are they not?? how would there jobs be secure if those treated unfairly by ntl just said stuff it and left??? older customers deserve at least equal treatment as we have paid said employees wages for years

Sorry, but that's absolute crap. Yes, the revenue from customers do pay the wages (I'm a customer, so I guess I'm paying my own...)

Hard work, no one I know is adverse to. Changing all the stbs that need changing, installing new customers and upgrading the rest of the one million customers on the same day is impossible. End of.

Would you like you dummy back? :monkey:

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 14:51
back to my original question when are the STBs being upgraded in the Manc area

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 14:52
Are new customers being given something that existing customers can't have?

Not at the moment. New customers may have been able to sign up for the new speeds on the 8th but they won't have the service installed for at least a week.

Nemesis
09-03-2005, 14:52
I cant believe the rubbish im reading here,
Not Rubbish .... FACT

on the 8th of march ntls web sit offered the new speeds to new customers so anyone joining on or after this date got new speeds,
Yep, FACT

if ntls long term customers ment anything to them then they should get the new speeds at the same time as new customers
Yep, and a lot of us have

,I know this wouldnt be easy so the fairest way would have been sort out your older customers first afterall we are paying more than new signers as they get deals so we are worth more to ntl than new customers so why not treat us at least equaly
Not quite the case ..... Yes we are important to ntl, as customers, but New customers are even more important.

I just started a job ... as part of the induction I got a Post it notepad, a pen, a mini maglite, and a USB memory key. My colleaugues didn't, and complained to me about this, however it came to light that they too had enjoyed similar benefits when they joined the company .....

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 14:53
then surely it should have been done prior surely ntl knew of the problems that would be coming with the set top boxes would not have taken a genius long to work out that if they rolled them out over a year spred the cost then now they would be no problem would there???

IanUK
09-03-2005, 14:53
Though I do think NTL could have as usual learnt from the past and got a clear message out.

Thats my particular point in a nutshell, bad communication has caused most of this, at least from my point of view. I'm perfectly happy to wait, but the NTLworld site says I can upgrade now, but I can't, only SACM users can, they are lying about the STB users ringing to get upgraded (unless you get a lucky CS employee!)

andyl
09-03-2005, 14:54

Add to that the fact that CF members are aware of the upgrade when I guess many customers aren't so..... the chances are you'll still get it before most.

nostra
09-03-2005, 14:54
I bet everybody that posted complaining about my post is on a SACM? Because anybody on a STB even a Samsung one atm should/will feel like a second-class customer especially the ones in a ex-C&W area. Especially the Manchester area's from some of the posts on the Part 3 post?

The person who said ntl giving STB's out takes time, yes it does, but why on Earth did they give users PACE set-top boxes in the first place when they knew about their lacking capabilities? They have limited connections and break down often upto now I've had 5 PACE set-top boxes while on NTL fortunately the last time it broke down they replaced it with a Samsung box.

neither cable modems or set top boxes have received an automatic upgrade as of yet so i dont think that cable modem users should be any different to set top box users

samsung have only recently introduced the samsung set top box the reason they gave out pace set top boxes is because this is what they supplied at the time

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 14:56
you all must take me for a idiot if you used the shell garage down the road and all of a sudden they offered new customers twice as much petrol but only new customers the roll out to older customers will be done over time? How would any of you react i bet you all would want it now and if you say you dont you lie

Halcyon
halycon...

Yes, I have now tried restarting my modem twice.
Still not been upgraded.
Will go and have one more try.

Chris W
then surely it should have been done prior surely ntl knew of the problems that would be coming with the set top boxes would not have taken a genius long to work out that if they rolled them out over a year spred the cost then now they would be no problem would there???

what if people changed their speeds and didn't need a samsung? or disconnected the service? or moved house?

It would be a wasted technician visit- and these visits cost ntl rather a lot of money.

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 14:57
Not quite the case ..... Yes we are important to ntl, as customers, but New customers are even more important......

Where did you get a copy of the NTL Customer Care Manual :D

Shaun
Why shouldn't they? It is free ie at no charge. :shrug: :dunce:

Because you're still paying for it, the same as their "FREE" phone line and their "FREE" calls. Why should you have to pay for it?

No such thing as a free luch.

orangebird

Firstly, most fo the Pace boxes have no problems at all.

Secondly, when ntl first starting using Pace, 1meg wasn't even heard of, let alone 3 or 4, so NO, they couldn't have worked out that for some customers these boxes would've been redundant.

Thirdly, not every customer wants speeds over 1meg, so it would not have been at all sensible/wise/financially clever to go round buying and sending out crews to replace one set top box with another.

You need to think about these things before you post. :rolleyes:

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 14:58
I cannot believe how many people are complaining about the upgrade.

It's a free upgrade, be happy, if you havn't got it and are moaning that you should get compensation, then think again, what have NTL got to lose?

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 14:59
orange bird i think your arrogant

Shaun
They are free to the customer but not free to NTL. It will have cost them a packet to supply.

Which YOU are paying for.

Marge
With the STB's remember that a signal has to be sent to the box, the customer then has to go through the re-registration process involving PID and password and then a reboot. Can you imagine the chaos yesterday if the signals had been sent, in effect knocking off thousands of customers broadband service :erm: Think I'd have got my coat and walked if there had been 1000 calls in the Q. As it was, it was a steady day and customers genuinely pleased with a free upgrade when they rang to enquire. Any customers now who want "compensation" will have a £50 charge applied for the ntl staff boozathon at Christmas ;) :drunk:

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 15:00

The person who said ntl giving STB's out takes time, yes it does, but why on Earth did they give users PACE set-top boxes in the first place when they knew about their lacking capabilities? They have limited connections and break down often upto now I've had 5 PACE set-top boxes while on NTL fortunately the last time it broke down they replaced it with a Samsung box.Don't forget that broadband wasn't even on the agenda when cablecos were first set up. It is only the past year or so that speeds have gone above what some Pace boxes can handle. You could say why are NTL giving out Samsung boxes and Ambit CMs when ten years down the line theymay not be able to handle the speeds then. :D :D

daggman
well i just rand cs to get my stb upgraded, was told i can NOT apply to have my stb upgraded untill it goes live in my area (heywood,rochdale). which i think is utter crap because if i wait for it to go live in this area and then ring cs again for my new stb i bet they give me a lead time of at least 1 month.

why not just upgrade my stb now and have me ready in time to benefit from the new speed !

Nemesis

Now DON'T start going down that road .....

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 15:01

Being factually correct is not arrogant.

Personal attacks are not needed here.

etccarmageddon
09-03-2005, 15:03
This is like the guy at the supermarket handing out free packets of biscuits ....... then he runs out just before he gets to you .....

Gonna complain ...... ????

Oh and he tells you he'll be back next week, in the mean time you might want to BUY some.

is that where the phrase 'taking the biscuit' came from?

:D

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:05
neither cable modems or set top boxes have received an automatic upgrade as of yet so i dont think that cable modem users should be any different to set top box users

samsung have only recently introduced the samsung set top box the reason they gave out pace set top boxes is because this is what they supplied at the time

That does not excuse ntl using them for broadband, they should always give out SACM's not use the cable modem in the STB.

They might not have been automatically upgraded but ntl did leave a loophole in their system to allow users to manually upgrade via their website, STB users are not able to do this.

Firstly, most fo the Pace boxes have no problems at all.

Secondly, when ntl first starting using Pace, 1meg wasn't even heard of, let alone 3 or 4, so NO, they couldn't have worked out that for some customers these boxes would've been redundant.

In the US, Japan, some of Europe, America they all have 1Mb+ and have had for a while ntl should have thought ahead.

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:07
In the US, Japan, some of Europe, America they all have 1Mb+ and have had for a while ntl should have thought ahead.

Are we in the US? Perhaps Japan? *Looks around* No, I don't think so.

nostra
09-03-2005, 15:07
That does not excuse ntl using them for broadband, they should always give out SACM's not use the cable modem in the STB.

and you have enough knowledge of the cable infrastructure and history to come to this conclusion?

and i suppose that other cable companies should not use set top boxes either for internet??

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:10
Are we in the US? Perhaps Japan? *Looks around* No, I don't think so.
No, but we should be able to at least emulate the infrastructure of these countries broadband, and i like how you left out Europe from your list ;) lol

and you have enough knowledge of the cable infrastructure and history to come to this conclusion?

and i suppose that other cable companies should not use set top boxes either for internet??
If they are incapable of handling 8Mb or below then they should not use STB's.

on the nose
09-03-2005, 15:10
Ntl are way behind BT,they have been for along time, you can get 2mb for 24.99 from BT, ntl price 24.99 for 750 so ntl get your arse into gear and kick arse.:D

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:11
you all must take me for a idiot if you used the shell garage down the road and all of a sudden they offered new customers twice as much petrol but only new customers the roll out to older customers will be done over time? How would any of you react i bet you all would want it now and if you say you dont you lie

Your posts is all it takes for me to think that....

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 15:12
so that reply was ok was it??? will he/she be told now i bet not

Gogogo

Now let's get things into perspective. Petrol I prefer, or rather my car does is the Iraqi stuff that the French company Total sell, yes petrol is a necessity, one has to get to work. The Internet is not, I repeat, not a necessity, we can live without the Internet, G_d damm it!

;)

orangebird

Erm, OK then. I've been called worse :D

fatlip180
09-03-2005, 15:13
hey guys, looking at the title saying speed upgrades 8th march - could anybody confirm wether this is true? I am in the NW england and i am on 1.5mbit service.

The reason i ask is that i rang cs yesterday about another issue and while i was on i asked about the speed inscrease. the guy told me that the speed increases wont be starting until the end of march/beginning of april. Then i look on here an its the 8th of march?? I have reset my cable modem and havent had an increase, so all i ask is`.... who is right

thanks

Electrolyte01
No, but we should be able to at least emulate the infrastructure of these countries broadband, and i like how you left out Europe from your list ;) lol

May be we don't have the money to have such a large infrastructure.

And may be I left Europe out as it would have been hard to explain.

etccarmageddon

A pointless comparison as your petrol is not purchased via a 12 month contract - it's purchased by a singular contract each time you visit the garage when you have agreed to buy at a particular price for that one fill up.

andyl
Final thought before I unsubscribe (you should see how quick my inbox fills up with CF alerts on the new speed!! Sorry!). If I'd have been NTL, knowing that CF has been trailing these upgrades for some time I think I might have looked at a way to keep us moaning minnies quiet!!

APS
09-03-2005, 15:14
Repost:

We have one of the original Business Essentials Cable modems, currently on 1.5 Meg speed. No sign of any upgrade in speeds here in Shepshed for that modem and no mechansim I know of, such as a web page, to upgrade.

Phoned Business customer support and they know nothing about a plan to upgrade Business Cable modems, he seemed to think the increase from 1 to 1.5 MB was news!

Anybody know if and when business cables modems will get the speed increase, please?

APS

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 15:14
so that reply was ok was it??? will he/she be told now i bet not

If you don't agree with a post you can use the 'report post' button.

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 15:15
petrol isnt a necessity you can get a bus or train or heaven forbid walk

didnt think anything would be said to him/her is it nice to be in a clique ban me you suck anyway

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 15:16

What's your point? Surely you're not suggesting that the internet is a necessity?

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:16
didnt think anything would be said to him/her is it nice to be in a clique ban me you suck anyway
That wasn't appropriate now was it?

Mattitude
09-03-2005, 15:17
is that where the phrase 'taking the biscuit' came from?

OT: No, the phrase came from me robbing the bloke of biscuits before you arrived :D

[edit: cool! just realised I got a rep for http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=418400&postcount=1068 :D]
OnTopic: I'm happy with the upgade and say :clap: Thank You NTL! :clap:

nostra
09-03-2005, 15:18

If they are incapable of handling 8Mb or below then they should not use STB's.

i guess that means i should not use my d-link adsl modem too because that supports speeds of upto 8mbps??

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:21

Why don't we call it evens? :p:

zing_deleted
09-03-2005, 15:22
ok :)

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:24
i guess that means i should not use my d-link adsl modem too because that supports speeds of upto 8mbps??
How on Earth did you get that from what i said? I said NTL should not use equipment that can't handle speeds that they currently offer, will offer or could potentially offer in the future. I don't know how you came with the answer you gave me?

altis
09-03-2005, 15:24
My heart goes out to Orangebird, Debsy and all the other NTL reps on here that have to put up with so much abuse.

C'mon guys. Get a grip or at least get a life!

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:25
How on Earth did you get that from what i said? I said NTL should not use equipment that can't handle speeds that they currently offer, will offer or could potentially offer in the future. I don't know how you came with the answer you gave me?

Well the equipment they used supported up to 1.5MB, so why do you think they are upgrading the equipment now? :)

fire
09-03-2005, 15:26
I just phoned up and said
"hi i have been trying to upgrade my speed on the internet and it told me to phone you"
she said "no problem"

i said "i have 1.5 mbps and want 3 mbit,i already have a samsung"

she said "thats great we wont have to upgrade you then"

then she went on for a while saying that she is nearly getting tangled up in her headset wire,spoke to her for a while what a nice friendly person.

she said about the 1 gig a day but said as long as you dont take the micky.I thought i was going to be there all day chatting :D

How long will the update take?

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:27

Speeds of 10 or 20 meg may be in the future - but if the manufacturers don't make the right stb for that speed, or the cost is too much, what do ntl do then? All they can do is pass the cost onto the customer. Which I don't beleive would go down too well.... :erm:

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:28
How long will the update take?

Should only take a few seconds to a few minutes at max.

Treble
09-03-2005, 15:28
Ntl are way behind BT,they have been for along time, you can get 2mb for 24.99 from BT, ntl price 24.99 for 750 so ntl get your arse into gear and kick arse.:D

I had broadband installed a week or so ago and pay £19.99 for (soon to be) 2Mb.

However, you would have thought that with me having a pace box, it would have been swapped for a samsung box at the same time - with it being so close to the upgrade date - to save an engineers trip in the future....:erm:

Gogogo
09-03-2005, 15:30

nostra
09-03-2005, 15:30
Speeds of 10 or 20 meg may be in the future - but if the manufacturers don't make the right stb for that speed, or the cost is too much, what do ntl do then? All they can do is pass the cost onto the customer. Which I don't beleive would go down too well.... :erm:

thank you :)

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:31

That's why i said all users should have and should be given SACM's in the first place, what's the speed on some of the SACM's? 38Mb? More than enough for current and future usage. It's just unfortunate NTL didn't think ahead enough to see that they should have always used SACM's but it's horrendous to see them still using STB's at the moment they have the ability to upgrade all users with a SACM but instead they're choosing to replace the STB. Absurd if you ask me.

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:34
That's why i said all users should have and should be given SACM's in the first place

May be it would have less hassle and cabling to have the internet AND TV off the STB than having a load of cables for the SACM AND STB.

Treble
09-03-2005, 15:35
Don't forget though that the new STBs bring a much improved service to the interactive service on TV over the Pace. I for one am happy to be getting my mits on one at the weekend... two birds, one stone.:)

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:39
That's why i said all users should have and should be given SACM's in the first place, what's the speed on some of the SACM's? 38Mb? More than enough for current and future usage. It's just unfortunate NTL didn't think ahead enough to see that they should have always used SACM's but it's horrendous to see them still using STB's at the moment they have the ability to upgrade all users with a SACM but instead they're choosing to replace the STB. Absurd if you ask me.

Nt really - if you had to supply a modem ontop of a set top box to every customer that had the TV service and BB, the costs of the equipment, the time of the contractors to install, the materials etc would all add up and once again, the cost would have to be passed onto the cutsomer.

I think it's rather unfortunate that you don't think of these things before you post. Absurd really :)

shawse9
09-03-2005, 15:39
Hi Guy's, New to this site so I hope this is ok.
I have just gone into NTL.com and increased my speed there online.It was all done within 1 min and was easy. I was on 1.5 and it is now running on 3mb. I dont know if it will work for everyone but I suggest you all try. Let us know how you get on.
http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/cablemodem.php

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:43
Nt really - if you had to supply a modem ontop of a set top box to every customer that had the TV service and BB, the costs of the equipment, the time of the contractors to install, the materials etc would all add up and once again, the cost would have to be passed onto the cutsomer.

I think it's rather unfortunate that you don't think of these things before you post. Absurd really :)
This whole process has cost ntl LOADS... The cost of a Samsung STB for every PACE user, the cost of having to lower all 2-3Mb users to 1Mb until you can give them a new STB. This whole episode has cost ntl loads, all of which they would have saved if they would have used SACM's. Very absurd.

IanUK
09-03-2005, 15:43
With the STB's remember that a signal has to be sent to the box, the customer then has to go through the re-registration process involving PID and password and then a reboot

Hmm, this didn't happen last time, it was done overnight and when I woke up the new speed was there, have NTL changed the procedure for STB's this time ?

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:44
This whole process has cost ntl LOADS... The cost of a Samsung STB for every PACE user, the cost of having to lower all 2-3Mb users to 1Mb until you can give them a new STB. This whole episode has cost ntl loads, all of which they would have saved if they would have used SACM's. Very absurd.

I'm sorry but I'm going with OrangeBird with this. It would cost NTL much more on your move than what NTL are already doing.

Ramrod
09-03-2005, 15:44
Further to my phone call to CS earlier (where I begged and pleaded) I now have 3 meg BB on STB (Bromley) :p: :dmonk: :PP: :hyper: :hyper: :Sun: :clap:
Nice one ntl :tu: :D

BBKing
09-03-2005, 15:45
This whole episode has cost ntl loads, all of which they would have saved if they would have used SACM's.

It costs more to transfer to a SACM than to swap out to a new box. Think about it.

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:46
This whole process has cost ntl LOADS... The cost of a Samsung STB for every PACE user,

Umm, not at all. Not every user on a Pace STB wants to go above the 1meg speed, which the pace is capable of and therefore doe not need swapping.

the cost of having to lower all 2-3Mb users to 1Mb until you can give them a new STB. This whole episode has cost ntl loads, all of which they would have saved if they would have used SACM's. Very absurd.

I'm amazed at how much you think you know about how many customers have what kind of stb and the costs to ntl. :banghead:

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:46
Further to my phone call to CS earlier (where I begged and pleaded) I now have 3 meg BB on STB (Bromley) :p: :dmonk: :PP: :hyper: :hyper: :Sun: :clap:
Nice one ntl :tu: :D
Nice one :tu: :)

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 15:47
It costs more to transfer to a SACM than to swap out to a new box. Think about it.

The voice of kmowledge any idea when the stbs are changing to alow new speed please BB:D

LooeyUK
09-03-2005, 15:49
Just phoned and said that im on the 1.4MB service and could i upgrade to the 3MB service.

Heard alot of typing and then... "thank you mr xxxxxxx, ive upgraded your service for you"

nostra
09-03-2005, 15:50
and can you get the new speed now ? :D

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:50
I'm sorry but I'm going with OrangeBird with this. It would cost NTL much more on your move than what NTL are already doing.
In the future it would save them alot of hassle. It's easier to replace a single cable modem than to replace a set-top box which provides both TV and broadband. In the future if we breach the cap on Samsung boxes what are they going to do then? Go through this entire episode yet again.

A STB costs more than a SACM.

NTL is thinking about today rather than tomorrow because of their outstanding debt, and therefore aren't willing to pay for a engineer to install a cable modem.

Umm, not at all. Not every user on a Pace STB wants to go above the 1meg speed, which the pace is capable of and therefore doe not need swapping.
And when NTL do decide to make their minimum broadband offer a 2Mb product or more in the future?...

etccarmageddon
09-03-2005, 15:51
spill the beans BBKING! when's the automatic upgrade gonna be sent down to existing customers?

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 15:52
<snip>
Read the other peoples comments about your comment, then post again :rolleyes:

philquinney
09-03-2005, 15:53
Just phoned and said that im on the 1.4MB service and could i upgrade to the 3MB service.

Heard alot of typing and then... "thank you mr xxxxxxx, ive upgraded your service for you"

Hey LooeyUK,

Did you have to re-enter your PID and password. I'd like to get the upgrade sorted for my Dad but I'm away from home so its a bit of a pain to do the re-provisioning.

When the upgrade to 1.5meg went through (automatically, early one morning) we didn't re-provision or anything.

Thanks,

Phil.

orangebird
09-03-2005, 15:54
In the future it would save them alot of hassle. It's easier to replace a single cable modem than to replace a set-top box which provides both TV and broadband. In the future if we breach the cap on Samsung boxes what are they going to do then? Go through this entire episode yet again.

A STB costs more than a SACM.

NTL is thinking about today rather than tomorrow because of their outstanding debt, and therefore aren't willing to pay for a engineer to install a cable modem.

Sorry, but you're talking rubbish now. :dunce:

Why do you think it's easier to replace a modem than an stb? It's the same process if they both already been installed.

fire
09-03-2005, 15:54
Well it works to try different people,3rd time lucky getting 360 k/s now,for anyone else out there i am in the lancing area 15 miles from brighton(bromley ex c&w)

what is that speed test site the robin walker one?

nostra
09-03-2005, 15:55
edit: dont worry dont want to complicate this any more :(

LooeyUK
09-03-2005, 15:55
Hey LooeyUK,

Did you have to re-enter your PID and password. I'd like to get the upgrade sorted for my Dad but I'm away from home so its a bit of a pain to do the re-provisioning.

When the upgrade to 1.5meg went through (automatically, early one morning) we didn't re-provision or anything.

Thanks,

Phil.

Hi, yes i did have to re-enter my PID and password.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 15:57
Sorry, but you're talking rubbish now. :dunce:

Why do you think it's easier to replace a modem than an stb? It's the same process if they both already been installed.
Sorry, i meant to say cheaper not easier. Plus SACM's have alot higher threshold than a STB so they wouldn't have to be replaced as often.

Mick
09-03-2005, 15:57
what is that speed test site the robin walker one?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html :)

philquinney
09-03-2005, 15:59
Hi, yes i did have to re-enter my PID and password.

Hokey pokey. I'll hold off then - if its the same kind of automatic upgrade as last time its much easier and simpler to wait.

BBKing: go on, drop us a hint.... ;)

Phil.

dalboy
09-03-2005, 16:03
Right i phoned up CS. Im on 300k and asked them about the cap. He said if you go over 3gb thats it they cut you off until the next month. He said you can still surf after 3gb but not download. He said i would automatically be upgraded to 1mb service as from yesterday, and dont really get a choice in keeping 300k as its going to become obsolete. So basically he said you can either cancel your subscription or pay an extra £7 a month and go on the 2mb service. What a joke! What are other people doing in the same boat as me??

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 16:05
How on Earth did you get that from what i said? I said NTL should not use equipment that can't handle speeds that they currently offer, will offer or could potentially offer in the future. I don't know how you came with the answer you gave me?What fantastic logic! :erm: Every ISP in the world is using equipment that won't be able to handle the speeds that will be on offer in the future. Should they all pack it in and let the internet die?

I suppose that you are still wearing babygrows as you shouldn't buy clothes that will not fit you in the future. :D :D :D :D

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 16:08
Right i phoned up CS. Im on 300k and asked them about the cap. He said if you go over 3gb thats it they cut you off until the next month. He said you can still surf after 3gb but not download. He said i would automatically be upgraded to 1mb service as from yesterday, and dont really get a choice in keeping 300k as its going to become obsolete. So basically he said you can either cancel your subscription or pay an extra £7 a month and go on the 2mb service. What a joke! What are other people doing in the same boat as me??

That is total BS. You don't get cut off, the caps are only "soft" (meaning they send you a letter if you keep going over far too much) and surfing the web IS downloading.

dalboy
09-03-2005, 16:11
Thats what i thought. He sounded like a complete **** with a right attitude. Maybe sick of all the people asking lol. So what do you reckon then? If i go for the upgrade, i reckon i do about 6-7gb a month, and the limit was 3gb, would they class me as a "heavy user" and cut me off

nostra
That is total BS. You don't get cut off, the caps are only "soft" (meaning they send you a letter if you keep going over far too much) and surfing the web IS downloading.

for the moment atleast :)

chrisb123
Thats what i thought. He sounded like a complete **** with a right attitude. Maybe sick of all the people asking lol. So what do you reckon then? If i go for the upgrade, i reckon i do about 6-7gb a month, and the limit was 3gb, would they class me as a "heavy user" and cut me off
Upgrade!:p:.

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 16:12
for the moment atleast :)

Yup, but if you do keep going over they may give you an offer to sort the problem :)

pdjkeelan
What fantastic logic! :erm: Every ISP in the world is using equipment that won't be able to handle the speeds that will be on offer in the future. Should they all pack it in and let the internet die?

I suppose that you are still wearing babygrows as you shouldn't buy clothes that will not fit you in the future. :D :D :D :D
Comparison of clothing to technology? Yeah that's logical...

ADSL providers usually use technology at least capable of 8Mb, i'm not sure what technology Telewest uses?

Companies should be ready for the future as much as possible, NTL has never been ready, probably why they in such huge debt? They don't think ahead.

dalboy
Upgrade!:p:.

hehe ok, but honestly do you think on the long run it would work out worse

Paulie
09-03-2005, 16:13
I`m going to stick with 300k. Does me just fine :D

chrisb123
09-03-2005, 16:14
hehe ok, but honestly do you think on the long run it would work out worse
Nah, even if it does you can always upgrade to 2mb :p:.

Electrolyte01
NTL has never been ready, probably why they in such huge debt? They don't think ahead.
In your opinion ;)

nostra
it does appear so

Customers with the 1Mb service (3GB per month)
Ntl will be monitoring across the network to identify customers who routinely exceed their data allowance, but not enforcing this allowance until later in 2005.
Before that time, ntl will be deploying new capabilities that will allow each customer to view their usage levels. Thereafter, customers who exceed their data allowance in any given month will be given options, which may include, for example, the ability to:

* Upgrade to a tier of service with a higher usage limit
* Choose to be billed for any incremental usage above their limit
* Choose to use the service for the remainder of the month at a lower speed
* For further information on usage allowances please refer to ntlââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s User Policy

orangebird
09-03-2005, 16:15
Comparison of clothing to technology? Yeah that's logical...

ADSL providers usually use technology at least capable of 8Mb, i'm not sure what technology Telewest uses?

Companies should be ready for the future as much as possible, NTL has never been ready, probably why they in such huge debt? They don't think ahead.

No, ntl are in debt because they DID think ahead - they thought the the IT/Teelcomms boom would sustain an awful lot longer than it did.

And as for adsl, it's capable of 8mb as long as you live pratically next door to an exchange. Cable reaches a lot further than that.

Electrolyte01
it does appear so
Exactly what I was talking about, I'll be taking the extra charged one for extra bandwidth used when I get the letter from them :p:

Florence
My heart goes out to Orangebird, Debsy and all the other NTL reps on here that have to put up with so much abuse.

C'mon guys. Get a grip or at least get a life!

I have to agree most visit here when they have finished work which can be stressfull enough without some on here having a go at them.

Everything went well and was on 2mb within the hour after my call, which was answered quickly and the lady was very polite :tu:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

How about giving a little thought to their feelings and being pateint its not as if the faster speed is a tempory test for a month.

mcfc2134
09-03-2005, 16:16
Well, finally on 2mb. Thank you NTL and the people here on cableforum keeping me entertained for two days!!

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 16:17
This whole process has cost ntl LOADS... The cost of a Samsung STB for every PACE user, the cost of having to lower all 2-3Mb users to 1Mb until you can give them a new STB. This whole episode has cost ntl loads, all of which they would have saved if they would have used SACM's. Very absurd.Now tell me how much a cable modem cost when broadband first started and how much they cost now? Don't forget that with technology you pay far less for a product if you wait until you need it and you get a better product into the bargain.

Think about all those thousand of STB users who only want their current 300k service or the 1Mb upgrade. They can have those speeds with their Pace boxes and it hasn't cost NTL anything for an unneeded CM which would have cost a 3 figure sum if provided initially.

Halcyon
09-03-2005, 16:28
Well I've just come off the phone to CS and it looks like the people at the indian call centre didnt know what they were on about.
This local NTL employee was very charming indeed and told me the last person hadnt put my speed up properly and it hadnt gone through properly.
She rectified it straight away and I am now sorted.

So a big thanks to all the NTL employees in the UK. It must be real busy for you at the moment and I appreciate what you are doing.
Thanks again.

I'm a happy customor.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 16:29
Now tell me how much a cable modem cost when broadband first started and how much they cost now? Don't forget that with technology you pay far less for a product if you wait until you need it and you get a better product into the bargain.

Think about all those thousand of STB users who only want their current 300k service or the 1Mb upgrade. They can have those speeds with their Pace boxes and it hasn't cost NTL anything for an unneeded CM which would have cost a 3 figure sum if provided initially.
And when ntl in the future once again increase their speeds to match their competition?... All PACE STB's will need replacing now or at least soon.

NTL started with a users paying for cable modems or renting them, ntl only changed their policy to entice new customers from dial-up and BT.

nostra
09-03-2005, 16:32
Well I've just come off the phone to CS and it looks like the people at the indian call centre didnt know what they were on about.
This local NTL employee was very charming indeed and told me the last person hadnt put my speed up properly and it hadnt gone through properly.
She rectified it straight away and I am now sorted.

So a big thanks to all the NTL employees in the UK. It must be real busy for you at the moment and I appreciate what you are doing.
Thanks again.

I'm a happy customor.

glad to hear your up and running

:D :D :D

chrism1966
09-03-2005, 16:36
Hi Im new around here! Wondered if anyone can give me some advice, just had a pace stb swapped for new samsung stb, but i cant get Cs to upgrade me to 2Mb service? Im in the Leeds area. All i get is different story from each CS person!:mad:

on the nose
09-03-2005, 16:37
all those who been upgraded to 2 mb are you on pace set top box.
thanxs otn

punky
09-03-2005, 16:39
thanxs otn

No... The Pace STBs will only support a speed upto 1mbps. If you want anything faster, you need to switch to a Samsung STB or get a Stand Alone Cable Modem.

chrisb123
09-03-2005, 16:39
thanxs otn
No, the Pace box supports 1mb max, you need to phone up NTL and ask for them to come and replace it with a new Samsung one.

Edit: Punky beat me :p:.

Mcgue
09-03-2005, 16:41
Well, they've constantly been passing me around all afternoon. Nobody wants to know about the upgrade. Keep being told its all automatic even when i mentioned a friend down the road rang up earlier and they did it there and then.

A few years back I had a faulty modem, and it took them a month of calls to rectify the problem. And I'm sure the modem was never registered properly back them. So i tried the online upgrade (after getting me details), only to get this message.

"The username (...) entered is not the registered subscriber associated with this cable modem.Please go back and try again with your cable modem username and password. If you need further help, please contact our customer support (0800 052 2000). "

Rang them again and was told this wasn't serious, and that the upgrade will be done automatically. That message is because its being done automatically. So I'm assuming everyone is getting this error now?
I'm at a loss now :(

chrism1966
09-03-2005, 16:43
Ive got new samsung stb installed and working but CS will not upgrade my speed:mad:

nostra
09-03-2005, 16:46
no that error is not because it is being done automatically

but ultimately this is what should be happening, all customers should be being advised that it will be done on an automatic basis (atleast with cable modems) but unfortunately people have been putting people on in good favour so they have:

a) people following procedure and advising that it will be done automatically in your area

and

b) some people are updating customers so they are clashing with those others that have been told not to

the issue that you have is as you say your internet account is probably not linked to your cable modem... but this is something that should be looked into for other reasons than the speed upgrade

iadom
09-03-2005, 16:48
Well, finally on 2mb. Thank you NTL and the people here on cableforum keeping me entertained for two days!!
This is entertainment.:shocked: still if you are a City fan I suppose it is.:p: :angel:
Patience is a virtue, often rewarded.

Neil
09-03-2005, 16:48
Ive got new samsung stb installed and working but CS will not upgrade my speed:mad:

What do you mean "will not"? Are you saying that the CSR actually refused?

chrisb123
09-03-2005, 16:49
What do you mean "will not"? Are you saying that the CSR actually refused?
Yeh, some of the people say that they haven't been aloud to give the upgrades out yet.

shawse9
09-03-2005, 16:50
I am on a cable modem and it did not upgrade the speed auto I went into http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/cablemodem.php
and did it myself. I was on 1.5 and I upgraded to 3MB
Hope this works for everyone else

Ramrod
09-03-2005, 16:51
Hi Im new around here! Wondered if anyone can give me some advice, just had a pace stb swapped for new samsung stb, but i cant get Cs to upgrade me to 2Mb service? Im in the Leeds area. All i get is different story from each CS person!:mad:

Thanks :dunce:I got lucky on the 4th attempt with CS..the first 2 times I was told that it would happen automatically the 3rd told me that I was already upgraded ( :disturbd: ) and the 4th disappeared for a few seconds and then told me to reboot my STB

Neil
09-03-2005, 16:51
Yeh, some of the people say that they haven't been aloud to give the upgrades out yet.
That is cannot, not will not.

Ramrod
09-03-2005, 16:53
Ive got new samsung stb installed and working but CS will not upgrade my speed:mad:Keep trying and grovel a lot when you do :D

chrism1966
I keep getting told different stories by different people, been told it will be up graded @ 2pm,4pm, Now 6pm or possibly next week even someone told me next month?

Who do i believe, the installer told me it would be done in minutes over the phone?

Confused is me:confused:

chrisb123
That is cannot, not will not.
Yeh.

jfknight
09-03-2005, 16:58
I have a business connection from NTL at 1.5Mb. Just phoned and they say there are not aware of any plans to upgrade the business services.

Anyone know differently?

Paul K
09-03-2005, 17:01
I have a business connection from NTL at 1.5Mb. Just phoned and they say there are not aware of any plans to upgrade the business services.

Anyone know differently?
Well this round of service upgrades is on the ressidential service so I don't know if the business side of the system is following suit or not.

Glenco
09-03-2005, 17:03
Hi all i phoned ntl yesterday morning to update my cable modem and the women on the phone said yes no problem all done.yipee i thought but after 2 hours nothing 4 hours nothing 8 hours nothing. i phoned back about 5 times and got the same reply yes your all ready on 3mb just reeboot the modem and so on.So today arives and still nothing so i phone them up and they say oh it seems to be stuck on pending creation ???? and to just wait. boo hoo
Anyone got any ideas??

on the nose
09-03-2005, 17:03
just been on to cs they made appointment for my pace set top box to be replaced sat afternoon, so i can have the upgrade to 2mb,(better come sat afternoon not waiting in for nowt) otn

Ramrod
09-03-2005, 17:04
Anyone got any ideas??Keep ringing and be very polite :D

Glenco
09-03-2005, 17:10
Ha Ha i will but cheeses me of as my mate round the corner phoned and with in 10 mins he was sorted.I cant handle the ****taking ;)

Lemonhunny
09-03-2005, 17:13
I just phoned ntl to see about getting a new set top box, as I have the Pace box, and am currently on the 750k connection. Waited no more than 2 mins to get through to the CS rep. He was a very pleasant man who knew exactly what I was talking about and after. He immediately upgraded me to the 1mb that the Pace box takes. And was thereafter very apologetic that the first appointment he could offer me for the box replacement was April 5th. That wasn't a problem to me, and I made the appointment for April 6th as I'll be working on the 5th.
After telling me I would probably have to reset the box, and reboot the pc, he reiterated my appointment time, and I thanked him for his help.

All power to ntl, with whom I've never had a problem since the nynex days.

spr33
09-03-2005, 17:14
I just rang CS again today to see if they'd upgrade me to 1mbit until I get my new STB on the 5th April. The guy on the end of the phone said that ALL current PACE STB owners will be getting the 1mbit upgrade until the new STB's come into play on the 5th, with in the next couple of evenings. I told him about other customers getting it upgraded manually and he said it'll happen automatically and I'm not one to beg so I left it. I just feel a little left out :P

Edit - And after seeing the above post, I feel even more left out :s

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 17:22
And when ntl in the future once again increase their speeds to match their competition?... All PACE STB's will need replacing now or at least soon.

NTL started with a users paying for cable modems or renting them, ntl only changed their policy to entice new customers from dial-up and BT.Perhaps NTL will then give the customer a £20 SACM rather than doing a STB swap. Even when the next round of speed increases takes place there may still be a 1Mb low user/introductory service that the Pace box is still capable of handling.

The only people that know what is the best approach to take are those within NTL who know all the costs, numbers involved and contractual obligations with suppliers. You don't know and I don't know all those details.

zovat
09-03-2005, 17:23
Ok - here's my 2c

First of all : this is a FREE UPGRADE, and from what I can see, it is stated as being available over the next few months...

People seem to be moaning that they have not had their upgrade yet, and saying they should get a refund....

If you buy a computer in a shop, and a month/year later they offer a better computer at the same price - do you go in and demand a refund - No - because you got what you paid for at the time...

what NTL are doing is saying "we can give you more than you agreed to pay for, with no extra cost to you, but it might take us a little while to get everyone upgraded..." What it the problem with that?

You (and by you I mean we) were happy to pay for the old service, but now that there is a new shiny toy available, you feel you should get that, and free and right now.... I understand that - I want 3M and I want it now!!!

would you rather they waited until say June, when the rollout is complete (a wild guess - 2 and a bit month from now ;) ) and then they say "ok - everyone can have it", or let those as can get it now have it now, and those that can not will get it as soon as possible.

I have posted a few times on this subject - (and I will reiterate that I do NOT work for NTL) - and I am being constantly suprised by the attitude of people who are being given free upgrades, then complaining because it is not instant....

<Rant>
Without wishing to offend anyone (but I probably will) I have to say that from reading the threads (well most of them, I cant be bothered to read x000 posts of "mine isn't upgraded - do I get a discount ?" :afire: ) It appears that the only way NTL could have kept you happy was to do nothing - no upgrade, nothing - stick with the old bandwidths and there would be far less complaints...

In My Opinion NTL have done a great thing here - they have provided a much better service at the same cost - so stop complaining.

Granted - CS don't seem to be the most informed people on this subject - but this is not new either.

I went to the online upgrade page - and it said "sorry - contact CS" - as the browser didn't seem to play - I tried again 5 minutes later (on a different PC, running Firefox) and it upgraded me - within 1 minute, by CM was rebooted and I was on the new service :clap: .

If this hadn't worked I would expect to try CS and get nothing, then come to this site, and someone would probably be able to tell me whether it was available in my area yet - and if not, when it would be..

once again - can we try to look at the positives - FREE UPGRADE - rather than the negatives - Not instant for all.

</rant>

Ok - my 2c has been said - thanks for reading :angel:

knightz
09-03-2005, 17:32
hi,

just phoned customer services & got my upgrade withy no problem, just a reboot & enter pid,,, (samsung 3ghz) thx ntl,!!!!:)
great work!!

knightz :D

Mattitude
09-03-2005, 17:35
<snip>

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

fatlip180
09-03-2005, 17:35
i can see what ure saying mate, but i the argument to say that people shouldnt moan cause its a free unpgrade isnt a valid point. It shouldnt really be fronted as a free upgrade, rather a progression of the service. With so many BB providers around nowadays Ntl needs to progress their own service otherwise they wouldnt have any customers. they arent the cheapest BB provider and probably never will be. what they should concentrate on is providing a good service, and by upgrading bits and bats of exsisting customers BB isnt good service. And dont get me started on the Cs's

EDIT: BTW im not having a go

penfolder
09-03-2005, 17:37
My first post. just phoned CS. upgraded to 2mb within half hour. brillliant.

stop the whingeing.

M

Mattitude
09-03-2005, 17:42
My first post. just phoned CS. upgraded to 2mb within half hour. brillliant.

stop the whingeing.

M
:welcome:

on the nose
09-03-2005, 17:43
ntl are offering 1mb for 17.99 why should i pay 24.99 for 750./
when they change my pace box, they worn't change any cables will they,as ive just set up on wireless for upstairs computer.
thanxs otn

spr33
09-03-2005, 17:44
when they change my pace box, they worn't change any cables will they,as ive just set up on wireless for upstairs computer.
thanxs otn

No, they shouldn't change any cabling - a straight swap.

zovat
09-03-2005, 17:48
i can see what ure saying mate, but i the argument to say that people shouldnt moan cause its a free unpgrade isnt a valid point. It shouldnt really be fronted as a free upgrade, rather a progression of the service.

I would agree that this is a progression, but the point stands - if you purchase a service, and that service then changes - you are still getting the same service for the same money, its just that there are better services out there, and you will get that service at no extra cost, as soon as it it available.

With so many BB providers around nowadays Ntl needs to progress their own service otherwise they wouldnt have any customers.

Agreed

they arent the cheapest BB provider and probably never will be. what they should concentrate on is providing a good service, and by upgrading bits and bats of exsisting customers BB isnt good service.

It isn't perfect, but as I said - would you rather they waited until it was done everywhere, then released it - denying those that are now upgraded the extra 2 months of upgraded service in order to stop anyone feeling left out?

BT didn't wait until all exchanges were BB enabled before rolling out their BB services - so why is NTL any different?

And dont get me started on the Cs's

I wont - I think we all know how they can be

didn't think you were- this is a forum - opinions differ - otherwise it would be a quorum :rolleyes: (sorry :blush: )

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 17:49
thanxs otnYou don't have to pay £24.99 if you don't want to. Ring up and ask them to downgrade you to 1Mb and save £7 per month.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 17:54
Thanks to a very nice lady at ntl, i'm now on a 2Mbit connection instead of 750k, third time lucky i guess :)... but i still stand behind all the points i made throughout this thread :)

yer nice one
09-03-2005, 17:57
hey guys, looking at the title saying speed upgrades 8th march - could anybody confirm wether this is true? I am in the NW england and i am on 1.5mbit service.

The reason i ask is that i rang cs yesterday about another issue and while i was on i asked about the speed inscrease. the guy told me that the speed increases wont be starting until the end of march/beginning of april. Then i look on here an its the 8th of march?? I have reset my cable modem and havent had an increase, so all i ask is`.... who is right

thanks

You can update manually if you have a cable modem, there is a link around some where sorry dont have it on this pc,

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 18:04
Thanks to a very nice lady at ntl, i'm now on a 2Mbit connection instead of 750k, third time lucky i guess :)... but i still stand behind all the points i made throughout this thread :)

Everybody is saying be greatful for the free upgrade, I don't understand why?

Still not greatful for your upgrade then?

Mags
09-03-2005, 18:05
After phoning for a second time and asking nicely (well, ok I begged :) ) my stb has been upgraded to 3Mb. I didn't have to go through the autoreg process again which seems a bit odd as others have had to but downloading from ftp.mirror.ac.uk is giving me speeds in excess of 300Kb whereas I used to get about 180 so it seems to have worked. Thanks NTL :)

Mags

yer nice one
09-03-2005, 18:07

Thats why I recon NTL should supply cable modems to every user, 18mb the current modems can handle, if im not wrong, (correct me please)

replacing the stb must cost a fortune,

TigaSefi
09-03-2005, 18:12
Cheers to Debsy42 and Scrotnig (sp?) it been fantastic already.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 18:15
Still not greatful for your upgrade then?

I'm greatful to the lady that put it through, i never said i was greatful to ntl... sure i'm happy it's been done but it's in response to competitors speed increases it's not "a gift" it's a way to keep customers.

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 18:16
Well no hint from BBK will see if ignition might know.

I dont want to stay in the dark when

dilli-theclaw
09-03-2005, 18:18
I'm greatful to the lady that put it through, i never said i was greatful to ntl... sure i'm happy it's been done but it's in response to competitors speed increases it's not "a gift" it's a way to keep customers.

Ok. :confused:

alferret
09-03-2005, 18:22
went online to upgrade to 2mb manually rebooted the modem and connected to modem on 192.168.100.1 checked operating config and i have
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000 bps

downloads at around 240 compared to 90.

For a freebie regardless of any cap well done NTL you have restored faith in the faithless ;)

Jonzy
09-03-2005, 18:24
It may have been asked already, so apologies if it has!

Has anyone received a automatic 'upgrade' without asking NTL CS by phone or using the upgrade thing on their website?

Ive a few mates who work in NTL swansea and theyre saying that the upgrade has to be sent to you and its not automatic? Supposdly trying to keep numbers down! :erm:

nash
09-03-2005, 18:25
Hi all,
Just had my STB upgraded to 2mb through CS,(Blackburn) big thanks to all the positive comments in this thread about how to achieve this.
I,ve been with NTL for years, and have always enjoyed a great service.

nash

MatTman
09-03-2005, 18:27
Hi all,
Just had my STB upgraded to 2mb through CS,(Blackburn) big thanks to all the positive comments in this thread about how to achieve this.
I,ve been with NTL for years, and have always enjoyed a great service.

nash

not really great if "YOU" have to phone them for it.

badboybubby
I have the 2mb (37.99 per month) internet connect broadband through a NTL Home 200 stand alone modem and live in Bury (ex C&W area) Lancashire.

What exactly do I need to do to upgrade to the 3mb connection?

I've tried rebooting my cable modem to no avail.

I'm sorry for asking but there are too many threads and conflicting answers about upgrading speeds and I thought you might be able to help me.

Many thanks

Bubby;)

ian@huth
I'm greatful to the lady that put it through, i never said i was greatful to ntl... sure i'm happy it's been done but it's in response to competitors speed increases it's not "a gift" it's a way to keep customers.Response to which competitors speed increases? Most of the ones for more than 2Mb are six months away, if the trials work and if you live in the right place. Let's face it, no other ISP in the country can give more than 2Mb to as many customers as NTL can. When will some customers wake up to the fact that they are getting a damn good deal from NTL.

TigaSefi
09-03-2005, 18:32

Technically YOU don't have to phone anybody for it. It would have been given to you at some point this month. It's just so happen that if you want it more immediately, it's better to do it online or phone them. Most people may be happy to wait patiently for these things. :)

Ignition
09-03-2005, 18:33

Erm you don't 'HAVE' to phone, if it's really that much trouble could just wait for it to be done automatically, which for most places is a very short time away.

Paul K
09-03-2005, 18:34
I have the 2mb (37.99 per month) internet connect broadband through a NTL Home 200 stand alone modem and live in Bury (ex C&W area) Lancashire.

What exactly do I need to do to upgrade to the 3mb connection?

I've tried rebooting my cable modem to no avail.

I'm sorry for asking but there are too many threads and conflicting answers about upgrading speeds and I thought you might be able to help me.

Many thanks

Bubby;)
If your area is ready to roll out the upgrades you will either need to ring CS and ask if they can do it while you wait or go to
http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/cablemodem.php
and put your original account/ user name and original password in to get the upgrade to go through.

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 18:35
Response to which competitors speed increases? Most of the ones for more than 2Mb are six months away, if the trials work and if you live in the right place. Let's face it, no other ISP in the country can give more than 2Mb to as many customers as NTL can. When will some customers wake up to the fact that they are getting a damn good deal from NTL.
Check out Pipex, Telewest or even god forbid AOL. All 3 have no caps and they can do 2Mb or above for relatively the same price.

Paul K
09-03-2005, 18:36
Response to which competitors speed increases? Most of the ones for more than 2Mb are six months away, if the trials work and if you live in the right place. Let's face it, no other ISP in the country can give more than 2Mb to as many customers as NTL can. When will some customers wake up to the fact that they are getting a damn good deal from NTL.
Check out Pipex, Telewest or even god forbid AOL. All 3 have no caps and they can do 2Mb or above for relatively the same price.
All 3 Currently have no cap. Only time will tell if this remains the case though ;)

chrism1966
09-03-2005, 18:36
:dunce: ;) :angel: :dozey: GOT IT 2Mb Upgrade!! There are good and bad in all companies, i feel a little guilty because i lost my rag with one lady @ NTL. sorry if u are reading this:angel:

chrisb123
09-03-2005, 18:37
:dunce: ;) :angel: :dozey: GOT IT 2Mb Upgrade!! There are good and bad in all companies, i feel a little guilty because i lost my rag with one lady @ NTL. sorry if u are reading this:angel:
And was she the one that upgraded you? :p:.

The Cyclist
09-03-2005, 18:38
I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t help but agree with †˜fatlip 180ââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢. This †˜free upgradeââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ has been in the pipeline for a while. NTL could have contacted people with Pace boxes and offered them an exchange prior to the upgrade going ahead. This would have limited the frustration of people like myself having to wait for a new Samsung box, which is not going to be earlier than the 4th April. Secondly, if itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s to be rolled out over the coming weeks then we should have been contacted via email to give us an indication of the time span. As for this being a free upgrade, itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not, there are plenty other providers providing most of these speeds and NTL have to compete or loose customers. The problem with NTL management is they donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know how to pre-plan.
John :p:

Jonzy
09-03-2005, 18:41
So has anyone actually had an 'automatic' upgrade or have they all been user initiated in some way.... phone/web requests?

th'engineer
09-03-2005, 18:43
Erm you don't 'HAVE' to phone, if it's really that much trouble could just wait for it to be done automatically, which for most places is a very short time away.

Thats good enough for me the master has spoken it will happen soon :hyper: :handshake

Paul K
09-03-2005, 18:44
I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t help but agree with †˜fatlip 180ââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢. This †˜free upgradeââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ has been in the pipeline for a while. NTL could have contacted people with Pace boxes and offered them an exchange prior to the upgrade going ahead. This would have limited the frustration of people like myself having to wait for a new Samsung box, which is not going to be earlier than the 4th April. Secondly, if itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s to be rolled out over the coming weeks then we should have been contacted via email to give us an indication of the time span. As for this being a free upgrade, itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not, there are plenty other providers providing most of these speeds and NTL have to compete or loose customers. The problem with NTL management is they donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know how to pre-plan.

John:p:
Since it's an upgrade to the customers tier of service without an increase in cost then how is it not a Free upgrade?

dr wadd
09-03-2005, 18:48
So has anyone actually had an 'automatic' upgrade or have they all been user initiated in some way.... phone/web requests?

Did mine over the phone earlier this evening. Looks like the system is rather busy at the moment with people phoning in for the same thing. But when I did manage to get through it was all done in about 5 minutes. If only NTL had more staff like the CS representative I went through to tonight.

Jonzy
09-03-2005, 18:50
Unfortuntly that doesnt answer my question.

I wanted to know has anyone has the upgrade without doing anything.

Horace
09-03-2005, 18:51
Wasn't the original date going to be next week sometime? Maybe NTL should of held off on the web page upgrade/CS upgrades till then and allowed the automatic roll out to take its course. NTL could of handled this a little better but that's not to say a few forum members here couldn't handle themselves better too.
If you read back through old speed upgrade threads it's mentioned numerous times about the STB rollout being slower and if you have a SACM then the procedure for getting CS to put the upgrade through has already been mentioned a lot also, ok it's not 100% perfect but given a few calls talking to different CS staff you should get the upgrade, that seems to be the experience of many members here and my experience too. Read a bit more and shout a bit less. Hell we could be facing hard caps come the end of the year so save your breath for that.

nash
09-03-2005, 18:52

erm, yep, it really bothered me did that!!:dozey:

Paul K
09-03-2005, 18:52

Feel free to read parts 1-4 of this thread as I believe that a few people have seen their upgrades go through automatically. When the auto-upgrades occur will depend on your geographical location I think.

Jonzy
09-03-2005, 18:53
Feel free to read parts 1-4 of this thread as I believe that a few people have seen their upgrades go through automatically. When the auto-upgrades occur will depend on your geographical location I think.

lakeybloke
09-03-2005, 18:53
Hi Guys,

Which options are you guys taking from the main menu of the 0800 052 2000 number, as I can't seem to get through to the correct department and im pulling my hair out.

Are the SAMSUNG's being done manually yet?

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 18:54
Hi Guys,

Which options are you guys taking from the main menu of the 0800 052 2000 number, as I can't seem to get through to the correct department and im pulling my hair out.

5 and yes.

scrotnig
09-03-2005, 18:54
John :p:
I always ask this question:

If ntl is so bad, why do you stay with them? Feel free to change to an ADSL provider, as is your right.

Paul K
09-03-2005, 18:55
Hi Guys,

Think it was the option for package changes or queries? Option 2 or 3 I think ;) STB's are being done but someone on the thread was told they would not be done till next week but then different people are saying different things at the moment lol ;)

nash
09-03-2005, 18:55
Hi Guys,

i chose option 5, and yes my STB was done with no bother at all :)

scrotnig
09-03-2005, 18:58
i can see what ure saying mate, but i the argument to say that people shouldnt moan cause its a free unpgrade isnt a valid point. It shouldnt really be fronted as a free upgrade, rather a progression of the service. With so many BB providers around nowadays Ntl needs to progress their own service otherwise they wouldnt have any customers. they arent the cheapest BB provider and probably never will be. what they should concentrate on is providing a good service, and by upgrading bits and bats of exsisting customers BB isnt good service. And dont get me started on the Cs's

It *is* a free upgrade, and ntl don't claim to be the cheapest service.

This country has an odd obsession with cheapness. Cheap is rarely best.

Simcut
09-03-2005, 19:00
I did the upgrade via the website and although adslguide reports the speed updates:

Downstream 2868 Kbps (358.5 KB/sec) 3097 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 284 Kbps (35.5 KB/sec) 306 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I still get webpages loading at the same speed and my download speed stays no more than 180..... :|

just spoke to an indian guy on Tech Support he tells me it will take up to 2 weeks to get things on track, at the moment my speed is actually running below what it was on 1.5mbit, i tried explaining that to him but he kept saying "wait a couple of weeks and it will all be fast as advertised" - what doesnt understand is my speeds are now BELOW what I had before! :(

scrotnig
09-03-2005, 19:02
What problem do you have with commercial private companies trying to keep customers?

Nobody's said it's a gift, but it IS a free upgrade which has been done to maintain competitive edge.

As I've said (yawn) 1000 times before, if you were a window cleaner and could get away with charging £5 per house, you wouldn't decide to charge £3 to be nice to your customers, you would only do so if there was business justification for doing so. It's exactly the same for ntl, and anyone who thinks companies should be giving stuff away out of the goodness of their heart should go and live in Russia.

banjo
09-03-2005, 19:02

From what I have read no existing customers have been upgraded without ringing NTL, I have rung TS twice and have been told I will have to wait possibly till April, how do you access CS, what options do you use ?

chrism1966
09-03-2005, 19:05
Dunno hope it was not, all i wish is that they all would sing from the same hymn sheet

badboybubby
09-03-2005, 19:07
Doing it online doesn't work! It says it doesn't recognise me as being the registered user of my cable modem? whats that all about?

Are they going to do this automatically or what?

bubby

Horace
09-03-2005, 19:08
Wonder if anyone is having issues with USB connections not being able to handle the faster download speeds. I know USB 1.1 (low speed) max is 1.5mb/s and I also remember a friend using a really old PC with USB having issues with download speeds getting capped due to CPU usage, cured with ethernet, this was with the 600k/s service. Perhaps people may start to experience issues here especially on the 3mb/s service.

The Cyclist
09-03-2005, 19:09
Yes, you could say itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s †˜freeâÃà ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€ž ¢, as thereââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s no cost (but remember originally there was going to be charge). But the reason itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s happening is that they know if they donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t keep up with other providers, theyââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll lose customers. No oneââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s saying that there not happy getting the extra speeds, but itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s how the whole situation has been handled.
An analogy. If you where to pay for a gallon of petrol and only got half a gallon, while the person next to you received a gallon for the same cost, would you be happy. Especially as your told, †˜you may get a full gallon in the futureââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢

John

Paul K
09-03-2005, 19:19
Doing it online doesn't work! It says it doesn't recognise me as being the registered user of my cable modem? whats that all about?

Are they going to do this automatically or what?

bubby
Yep it will occur automatically, when is another matter ;) You could ring the 0800 052 2000 and select option 5 (I think, should be something about package changes or upgrades) and ask the lovely person on the phone if they can look into doing the free upgrade for you, if they can it will take a few minutes to come through to your modem and then it should be ok. Depending on where you are in the country it may be that they say you have to wait till tomorrow for it to happen automatically though :(

purenuman
09-03-2005, 19:29

It is if you are not supposed to have it yet and by phoning them you get it early
:rolleyes:

What problem do you have with commercial private companies trying to keep customers?

Nobody's said it's a gift, but it IS a free upgrade which has been done to maintain competitive edge.

As I've said (yawn) 1000 times before, if you were a window cleaner and could get away with charging £5 per house, you wouldn't decide to charge £3 to be nice to your customers, you would only do so if there was business justification for doing so. It's exactly the same for ntl, and anyone who thinks companies should be giving stuff away out of the goodness of their heart should go and live in Russia.

:clap: :clap:

DocDutch
09-03-2005, 19:30
guys and gals just do it via the web... just done that myself and now I'm downloading at a nice rate of 340 kbs :D :D from only 140 KBS on the 1.5 meg..so that means that I'm on a 3meg now :D

badboybubby
09-03-2005, 19:30
Yep it will occur automatically, when is another matter ;) You could ring the 0800 052 2000 and select option 5 (I think, should be something about package changes or upgrades) and ask the lovely person on the phone if they can look into doing the free upgrade for you, if they can it will take a few minutes to come through to your modem and then it should be ok. Depending on where you are in the country it may be that they say you have to wait till tomorrow for it to happen automatically though :(

i'll wait, i tried customer service and was left holding for 35 mins!

no wonder they are making so many redundancies!

pdjkeelan
09-03-2005, 19:34

Never said there was, i actually encourage them to do this. I just don't think users should be so taken in by it as if your getting something for free in the way most people have taken it. You're getting a speed increase to compete with other broadband suppliers they aren't giving people speed increases from the kindness of their hearts they're doing it for a purpose so people shouldn't be so blindly greatful as some seem to be.

Paul K
09-03-2005, 19:34

i'll wait, i tried customer service and was left holding for 35 mins!

no wonder they are making so many redundancies!
Can't imagine why the lines are so busy ;) Hang in there, it's a free number after all :p:

Simcut
09-03-2005, 19:40
thing is, I was filling the form via the "upgrade your speed" link and it TOLD me that my area was READY :S

purenuman
09-03-2005, 19:44
Never said there was, i actually encourage them to do this. I just don't think users should be so taken in by it as if your getting something for free in the way most people have taken it. You're getting a speed increase to compete with other broadband suppliers they aren't giving people speed increases from the kindness of their hearts they're doing it for a purpose so people shouldn't be so blindly greatful as some seem to be.

So we can't be grateful??

I am not stupid in any way shape or form but I'm also grateful for the speed upgrades I received that I don't have to pay extra for (didn't want to say free :D )...

Being grateful does not mean you have misunderstand the motives of NTL but that you understand........... but are still grateful :D

lakeybloke
09-03-2005, 19:48
Finally got through and was fobbed off by some old Doris. She told me they weren't allowing through any more upgrades tonight as its slowing the systems down because so many are being done, but she will put a note on the account and it will be done "first thing in the morning....."

....I'm not taking any bets on it NOT being done, BTW!!... ;)

IanUK
09-03-2005, 19:49
guys and gals just do it via the web... just done that myself and now I'm downloading at a nice rate of 340 kbs :D :D from only 140 KBS on the 1.5 meg..so that means that I'm on a 3meg now

Luck you, STB owners can't do it via the web, we are told to ring CS, but when we do half of us get refused :(

daz196
09-03-2005, 20:04
Who hoo 3meg here i come
i rang up ntl about being upgraded to 3mb
she done it there and then
all i had to do is restart stb,enter pid no's
i never had any trouble with ntl
well done ntl:clap:
1st 128K took 391 ms = 335223 Bytes/sec = approx 2789 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 344 ms = 381023 Bytes/sec = approx 3170 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 359 ms = 365103 Bytes/sec = approx 3038 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 344 ms = 381023 Bytes/sec = approx 3170 kbits/sec

purenuman
09-03-2005, 20:07
Who hoo 3meg here i come
i rang up ntl about being upgraded to 3mb
she done it there and then
all i had to do is restart stb,enter pid no's
i never had any trouble with ntl
well done ntl:clap:
1st 128K took 391 ms = 335223 Bytes/sec = approx 2789 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 344 ms = 381023 Bytes/sec = approx 3170 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 359 ms = 365103 Bytes/sec = approx 3038 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 344 ms = 381023 Bytes/sec = approx 3170 kbits/sec

But please do try and not be grateful :D :angel:

DerekRothwell
09-03-2005, 20:10
Just booked my 750 to be upgraded on a STB - earliest appointment is Tuesday April 5th - Seems STB users will just have to be patient for a month..... (Thats the Wirral anyways) (taps fingers repeatedly....) :rolleyes:

buba3d
09-03-2005, 20:12
Has anyone been over the limit yet, since the new upgrades have been done ?

rmg
09-03-2005, 20:13
help

upgraded via the website but still seem to be stuck on 750k

any technicians about?