PDA

View Full Version : Marmite: Where do they store yours?

zoombini
13-03-2005, 22:13
Hello, this is not just another "marmite - love it or hate it" thread.

However, what I want to know is where is yours kept in your local supermarkets?

For years now my local Asda constantly keep it on the same aisle as gravy etc, next to the Bovril.

However, the only use of it that I have ever known has been to spread it upon toast, although the latest adverts say that it is nice on a cheese sandwich, it will still be spread on toast by 99% of the British public.

So WHY do they store it next to meat products and not on the jams & spreads aisle?

I asked my local Asda's food manager & he says that head office have decided this.
So before I complain to Asda head office with a national campaign of "Please put my marmite with the rest of the spreads", where does your local store keep thiers?

(I am serious about this you know!)

Chimaera
13-03-2005, 22:15
Our local Tesco keep it with the jams and marmalades! I suppose because you spread it on toast etc. :shrug:

Millay
13-03-2005, 22:18
Our local Tesco keep it with the jams and marmalades! I suppose because you spread it on toast etc. :shrug:

Mines the same.

Although on another note, i store mine in a lockable telecoms cabinet i aquired some years ago.. Stops the housemates munching on it... (i go a little strange if I cant have my marmite).

zoombini
13-03-2005, 22:24
Hmm, yes a liittle strange maybe :D

I can openly keep mihjne in the kitchen cuboard as noone else likes it. :D

But I'm glad that Tesco's have some sense.

Millay
13-03-2005, 22:27
Ithink shops like to store it in different places just to disorientate you....

Chimaera
13-03-2005, 22:29
I agree! So you go in to buy your loaf of bread and jar of Marmite - and come out an hour later having spent £60! :Yikes:

Halcyon
13-03-2005, 22:47
It should be kept in the poisons section.

Nidge
14-03-2005, 04:51

Same here in Mansfield

greencreeper
14-03-2005, 07:43
:Yes: :tu:

Tricky
14-03-2005, 07:56
Stored on the Internet! - I use home delivery services!

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 08:00

:rofl: :tu:

nffc
14-03-2005, 08:09

:dunce::td::dozey::erm::sleep:

:blah:

Marmite is w00t.

greencreeper
14-03-2005, 08:18
Marmite is w00t.
Is that similiar to Deet? :erm:

nffc
14-03-2005, 08:21
what, w00t? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

BBKing
14-03-2005, 09:15
Hmm, that wiki article doesn't mention w00t as being an obfuscation of 'root', signifying that you've owned someone's computer, and thus the obvious extension to 'owning' them while playing a game. That's where I thought it was from.

Back on topic - you lot spend far too long in supermarkets, or eat too much marmite - round here the jar lasts years. and all three of us eat the stuff. I have to hunt it down for hours when we run out cos I've forgotten where it is.

Here's an idea - I'd like to see Sainsburys or someone allow you to put your shopping list and local store into a website and it'll tell you the shortest route round the supermarket (I got this idea after spending 50 minutes in Tesco last Friday looking for humous). Don't think they will though - they probably like people getting lost on the way to fresh fruit and impulse-buying a widescreen TV, or something.

Millay
14-03-2005, 09:25
mmm give me the 1kg tubs any time. they last a good 2 months then.. small jar a week

Spurs007
14-03-2005, 09:28
Mines the same.

(i go a little strange if I cant have my marmite).

No, no, no, no................ You lot are a little strange because you eat Marmite :sick:

zoombini
14-03-2005, 12:42
OI!
Leave the bash marmite comments alone, there is another thread for that, lol

Do any other stores keep it in any place other than with the rest of the spreads?

orangebird
14-03-2005, 12:47
Marmite :drool:

Mal
14-03-2005, 12:58
The proper place to store marmite is in the bin, so it can be properly disposed of ;) :D

nffc
14-03-2005, 13:21
Hmm, that wiki article doesn't mention w00t as being an obfuscation of 'root', signifying that you've owned someone's computer, and thus the obvious extension to 'owning' them while playing a game. That's where I thought it was from.

It does. Read it again. :rolleyes:

w00t.

Maggy
14-03-2005, 13:59
Hello, this is not just another "marmite - love it or hate it" thread.

However, what I want to know is where is yours kept in your local supermarkets?

For years now my local Asda constantly keep it on the same aisle as gravy etc, next to the Bovril.

However, the only use of it that I have ever known has been to spread it upon toast, although the latest adverts say that it is nice on a cheese sandwich, it will still be spread on toast by 99% of the British public.

So WHY do they store it next to meat products and not on the jams & spreads aisle?

I asked my local Asda's food manager & he says that head office have decided this.
So before I complain to Asda head office with a national campaign of "Please put my marmite with the rest of the spreads", where does your local store keep thiers?

(I am serious about this you know!)

I find mine in the SPREADS aisle. ;)

zoombini
14-03-2005, 14:27
Which store incog?

Maggy
14-03-2005, 16:42
Which store incog?

Morrisons and Waitrose.

ZrByte
14-03-2005, 16:56
Don't think they will though - they probably like people getting lost on the way to fresh fruit and impulse-buying a widescreen TV, or something.

Thats exactly why its done, I was once fed a load BS about how merchandising is to give the displays a bit of veriety etc, that was until I started working at asda when a manager who was very honest (gotta hand it to him for that) told me that its to dissorientate the customers so they have to go down almost every isle to find what they want and end up finding 20 or so more items they didnt know they wanted when they came in.
That is also why bread, milk, butter and music & video will normally be loacted at the rear of the store.
They would also do the same with the ciggerette kiosks but apparently smokers are some of the more impatient customers and will often leave if they dont see the counter near the door assuming there isnt one there rather than looking or asking.

Maggy
14-03-2005, 17:11
Bah! I have a shopping list and I stick to it.They already annoyed me by moving items and no longer stocking my favourite products so stuff 'em. :mad:

ian@huth
14-03-2005, 17:12
All the major supermarkets use planograms generated by head office which stipulate exactly where a product is displayed and the space allocated to it. Shelf space in supermarkets is another commodity which they sell which suppliers buy to give their products prominence.

BBKing
14-03-2005, 20:26
It does. Read it again.

Doh. I plead lack of coffee in the morning.

Tuftus
14-03-2005, 20:29
The proper place to store marmite is in the bin, so it can be properly disposed of ;) :D

Yup. :tu:

Monster Jedi
14-03-2005, 20:44
Mines stored in toilet when I threw up.:D

nffc
14-03-2005, 20:59
It does. Read it again.

Doh. I plead lack of coffee in the morning.

Excused- I was the same from getting up at 7ish until about 4 this afternoon.

zoombini
16-03-2005, 08:17
Well, it looks like the ASA has just banned the marmite ad with the big blob from childrens tv programming slots.

So does that mean no Marmite till 9PM ?

Derek
16-03-2005, 08:28
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4353055.stm

6 complaints and it gets banned... Now when I was that age I was seemingly petrified of wardrobes :Yikes: should my parents have tried to get any MFI adverts taken off air?