PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous download and upload

badnbusy
13-03-2005, 20:39
Now that i'm on 3Mb, I know its not possible (probably wasn't on 1.5Mb either) to download at a full 360KB/s and upload at a full 36KB/s at the same time, due to no room for the ACKS.

But if i limit my download speed to under 150KB/s I still can't upload at anything higher than around 8KB/s.

Surely if i leave around 110KB/s room on the line, it could be used to make the upload reach its maximum speed?

I realise its not meant to be a simultaneous service, but whats the maximum possible speed available if you wanted to download and upload at the same time - something like 60KB/s download and 36KB/s upload?

Its not a problem for me, just more of a query...I wish I had more knowledge on the way protocols work.

Any advice would be great.

Chrysalis
14-03-2005, 00:45
Assuming the place you uploading to isnt saturated then you should be able to send at full 35kB, if I try to max both at the same time it will normally be inbound (download) that suffers because the ack packets get lost and delayed slowing the download down, so if eg. I download at 360kB/sec my upload is usually around 7kB/sec of acks so I would probably capto about 28kB/sec my upload to allow my download to continue at full pace. When the service was 1.5mbit I could upload at 25kB/sec and download at 180kB/sec at the same time, if I left upload unchecked then the download would fall to about 50-70kB/sec.

I hope this helps.

badnbusy
14-03-2005, 06:27
Yeah, I could download/upload at about the same speed as you on the 1.5Mb service.

But since the upgrade, even if I cap my download to 150KB/s (less than i got on 1.5Mb) my upload still won't get higher than 10KB/s. It's weird...

Thanks for the help

Paul
14-03-2005, 09:08
Do not forget that just because your end of the conection is capable of a faster upload - you are still restricted by the rest of the link to the target server - any bit of which is likely to slow you down.

badnbusy
14-03-2005, 09:13
Of course, but the server(s) I am downloading from/to are all on T1 or OC3 connections, plenty of bandwidth to spare :)

Also happens uploading to ntl's webspace FTP

DieDieMyDarling
14-03-2005, 12:19
When i'm downloading at full speed (355-374k/sec) there's already 13k of upstream just to support my downloading. It never used to be anywhere near that, from what i remember. Anyone know if this is normal?

Thorny
14-03-2005, 15:48
I am using bittorrent right now and im gettng 367kb/s download and had to cap the upload to 23kb/s any more than that and my download would drop to 300. so it seems you need about 14kb/s to get max download speed.

DocDutch
14-03-2005, 15:57
guys,

am a bit of a "noob" with torrents...I dont even get close to the top...am if lucky getting at 30kbs highest I've gone to is 60...how can I get that higher...am on the 3meg line and using Bit Tornado.

Cheers if any1 can gimme a hand in upping my speed...btw people are downloading from me on average 24kbs or have seen it spiking to 40

PS: am on a standard modem....the surfboard :O and on a router...but set up the firewall on that and on pc proper.

BarFly
14-03-2005, 16:08
badnbusy, out of interest do you have a Cable Modem or Samsung STB to connect through ?

badnbusy
14-03-2005, 18:30
Cable modem, BarFly. Ambit 200

levig, BitTorrent and all other programs like that depend on other users upload speed. You can only download as fast as they can upload. So if there arent many people with the same file, it will rarely get a good speed :)

fire
14-03-2005, 19:42
guys,

am a bit of a "noob" with torrents...I dont even get close to the top...am if lucky getting at 30kbs highest I've gone to is 60...how can I get that higher...am on the 3meg line and using Bit Tornado.

Cheers if any1 can gimme a hand in upping my speed...btw people are downloading from me on average 24kbs or have seen it spiking to 40

PS: am on a standard modem....the surfboard :O and on a router...but set up the firewall on that and on pc proper.

Try using AZUREUS i tried bit tornado and it was very slow compared.

Chrysalis
14-03-2005, 21:21
Well my acks are lower because I tweaked for bigger download packets, so if I am right bigger packets = less acks to send for same speed.

cold
14-03-2005, 22:20
Well my acks are lower because I tweaked for bigger download packets, so if I am right bigger packets = less acks to send for same speed.
is it possible to have larger upload packets? if so would u mind saying how?

Chrysalis
15-03-2005, 00:36
It is possible but I dont know of an app that allows the tweak since DRTCP is fow download only, you will need to edit the registry for upload. I will get the info as soon as I can, but your upload speed is depending on different factors to your download speed which is why it isnt affected so much when you try to max download.

geminian68
15-03-2005, 01:33
Hi cold
I use this free program and have done for many yeras (since dialup) that lets you tweak your connection.

http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

Description: The TCP Optimizer is a free Windows program designed to help optimize your Internet connection. Just download and run, no installaion required. The program makes it easy to find the best MaxMTU value, test latency and tweak all the important broadband related registry parameters. The Optimizer can be helpful with tuning any Internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ :)

jtwn
15-03-2005, 01:35
Did this a few nights back, i find that capping at 20kb/s STILL can only sustain a pretty high speed.

Chrysalis
15-03-2005, 15:43
your 20kB upload box isnt ticked so not doing anything.

Check this I did experiment seems I need to drop to 24-25kB to allow the max 360. One flashfxp is downloading the other is uploading. The yellow line on the graph drops when it stops the file as I only had 15 meg files to test with.

jtwn
15-03-2005, 20:40
It does ;)

MTU = 1500
RWIN = 17520

With 6 threads on grabit, 22kB/s for sure upload is the max before my download decreases. Seems as if download takes the priority by default as had to drop the downstream everytime i wanted to bring the upstream to max out.