PDA

View Full Version : packet loss effect ?

Carth
13-03-2005, 19:24
Over the last month or so I've downloaded about 8 game demos (from game sites, not P2P *spit* lol)... none of which have installed due to "corrupt installation files" or similar error messages :rolleyes:

Some of the demos I've re-downloaded from different game sites 2 or 3 times with the same end result.

I have been experiencing intermittent packet loss for ages ... in fact 30% of the time I run Dan Elwels speed test it aborts the download speed test because of server time-outs or other errors lol.
I can play online games OK, and can put up with the occasional slow/non-loading web pages so haven't bothered re-reporting this packet loss problem.

Just wondered if the packet loss could be causing this file corruption ??

No spyware/viruses, clean install of everything on a new HDD 2 weeks ago, running Win 2K, firefox, 2mb sacm (ethernet)

Chris W
13-03-2005, 19:27
I am not 100% sure, but i don't think it would because i imagine they are TCP transfers, so there is an ack for every packet. If one is not received, it should be resent.

Carth
13-03-2005, 19:32
Yeah that's what I thought ...but I'm not real clever with such stuff, so wondered if it had any bearing on it.

thanks for the quick reply though ;)

Horace
13-03-2005, 20:06
You overclocking the PC? Either that or I'd consider ram/HD problems.

Carth
13-03-2005, 20:11
Nah, not overclocking (done that, got the jumper etc lol)
Never thought of the ram though ... good possibility. :tu:
Mebbe I was too quick at thinking of packet loss ... 2+2=5 lol

.... runs off to get memtest

darren
13-03-2005, 20:29
I have been experiencing intermittent packet loss for ages ... in fact 30% of the time I run Dan Elwels speed test it aborts the download speed test because of server time-outs or other errors lol.
I can play online games OK, and can put up with the occasional slow/non-loading web pages so haven't bothered re-reporting this packet loss problem.

I used to have loads of problems with my laptops wifi connection when I was browsing or downloading email, it used to time out all the time, I was forever clicking refresh to download pages or restarting my email download, MSN Messenger also caused me problems, with constant sign-on errors (it usually said wrong password), even telneting to the ntlworld email server wouldn't work half the time, it wouldn't accept my username or password.

In the end I found out it was due to the power saving mode of my Intel wifi adapter, it was incompatible with my router, I'm guessing the router never recieved half the packets from the laptop.

I fixed it by disabling the power management in the adapters properties and set it manually, it works very well now.