PDA

View Full Version : Junk phone calls increasing

Matth
13-03-2005, 17:58
Anyone noticed - not the good old telemarketer script, but the ones that hang up (pre-emptive dialling) or the taped message.

allieyoung666
13-03-2005, 18:02
we get about 1/2 calls a day, but I just let Paul deal with them :)

mmm
13-03-2005, 18:19
Telephone Preference Service (http://mpsonline.org.uk/tps/)

gooner4life
13-03-2005, 18:45
Where is the option for none?

I havent registered with the TPS either but we have always been Ex Directory

Paul K
13-03-2005, 19:44
Where is the option for none?

I havent registered with the TPS either but we have always been Ex Directory
So's my mum but she still gets them LOL Thankfully the TPS sevice and ACR has helped to keep it down to a minimum now though ;)

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2005, 21:23
Ex-Directory (ntl service :tu: ;) ) and Telephone Preference Service mean never get any issues with these automated thingys, plus I never give my number out on forms and the like.

Once every six months or so I might be unlucky to get a double glazing type call, but saying I'm ex directory, TPS subscribed, and wanting to know form them how they got my number soon puts them on the back foot.

Edit: Poll really needs a "This is not an issue - don't get them" option

Paul
13-03-2005, 21:28
Option for none added.

Earl of Bronze
13-03-2005, 21:47
Personally I enjoy asking the caller...

''What white and goes click''..... and then putting the phone down on them.

But I'm a bit of a git that way. ;) :D

Mike
13-03-2005, 21:56
Telephone Preference Service (http://mpsonline.org.uk/tps/)

TPS do not get any now :tu:

Nidge
13-03-2005, 22:01

I used to do the same, mine used to go like this, does your phone do this, click silence.

bb31
13-03-2005, 22:44
if i pick the phone up and there is silence after i have said hello, i automatically put the phone down, as i know it will be one of those call centres. trained my daughter to do the same!!

In fact thats they are the only people who ring me now boooooo hoooo!!

Graham
13-03-2005, 23:03
I don't get any on my personal line or my business line and haven't had for ages (touch wood!)

TPS is the only way to go.

tick
13-03-2005, 23:20
dont get any

Halcyon
14-03-2005, 01:00
Is TPS really good then ?
I wouldnt want it to stop people finding me in the phone directory, just stop nuissance automatic calls.

bob_a_builder
14-03-2005, 07:38
I don't get any either thanks to TPS.

However I have read (in a previous thread on here I think) that the random dialers, that result in the 'silent' calls aren't covered by TPS,

Although why this should be I don't know, I'm sure the random numbers would be produced by a computer so why can't they then be screened against the TPS list.

Anyway I've not had any junk calls of any sort for years now

Maybe the the TPS should work the other way round - you would have to opt in to accept the junk calls, fat chance !

NitroNutter
14-03-2005, 09:51

I just say "no thanks not interested" and they say how do you know your not interested and I reply "would you buy from someone who doesnt understand 2 letters that make the word NO"

Same as cold callers to the house. and then I point to the sign and add "and I certainly wouldnt buy from a firm that had employees who cant read"
;)

Xaccers
14-03-2005, 10:08
I don't get any either thanks to TPS.

However I have read (in a previous thread on here I think) that the random dialers, that result in the 'silent' calls aren't covered by TPS,

Although why this should be I don't know, I'm sure the random numbers would be produced by a computer so why can't they then be screened against the TPS list.

Anyway I've not had any junk calls of any sort for years now

Maybe the the TPS should work the other way round - you would have to opt in to accept the junk calls, fat chance !

Traditional call centers use sold lists of phone numbers and details, just like mailing lists.
The TPS deletes your name from this list so you shouldn't be called (whether it actually removes your details or works as a "don't phone" reference list I'm not sure)
Now, if someone doesn't use any lists, they just use an auto dialer then they aren't covered by the TPS and you can still get calls.

I'm sure there will eventually be legislation to either ban autodialers or insist that they use the TPS list.

Tuftus
14-03-2005, 17:46
Another good thing to have is 'Anonymous caller reject' via BT, if they witholf thier number (as most cold calling or call centres do) then they just get a message explaining that we dont take such calls.

Stangely enough, we dont get any calls since getting it.

:)

iadom
14-03-2005, 18:02
TPS does stop a lot but recently one or two have crept through, I believe these are from abroad and TPS seems unable to prevent these.

Matth
14-03-2005, 22:45
Already on the "Silent Callgard" http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/news2.html and a lot of the junk calls ARE silent, or at least not leaving a message on the answering machine - can't recall any "instant off's", so perhaps that is working.

Oh well full TPS, it might have to be, but I have a feeling the worst offenders are probably not covered, and it may stop calls that might be useful..

Registration will also prevent organisations who regard you as a customer from calling you again, unless you have previously told them that you have no objection to them calling you.

Some people might say that barring calls from SERIF would be a good thing, but I have had the odd offer I liked... though the flyers are usually better value.

The NTL line, with ACR enabled - no problem at all

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 01:17
I remember being told that the silent calls are test calls from auto-dialers, and the best way to avoid the call registering is to hit the ''Hash'' button on the phone six or more times in rapid secsession (sp?). I always find that after pressing Hash 6 or so times the call cuts off, so maybe this actually works.