PDA

View Full Version : Router swap - Any likely problems?

Derek
13-03-2005, 17:12
Currently I have a Belkin router attached directly to my cable modem running 3 (sometimes 4) computers without any problems.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop in a couple of days and was wanting to swap over the existing router for a wireless one. I've aquired a Linksys wireless AP with switch and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how easy it will be to swap them.

Is it simply a case of switching them over. Rebooting the cable modem and letting the router do the rest for the wired connections or will I need to change anything in the settings of the computers wired up the modem?

Any help/idea/experiences gratefully received.

JohnHorb
13-03-2005, 17:17
I THINK if the Linksys is an AP (Access Point) rather than a router, you'l need to keep the existing router and simply plug the AP into it. Not 100% sure though.

Derek
13-03-2005, 17:18
It's a combined router and AP.

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2005, 17:18
Probably depends on how you have your current router set up. If IPs and the like are all setup by the router, then simply turning everythign off, plugging in the new one, and turning all back on should sort out your LAN.

However, you will probably have to register your new router with the ntl network, or clone a mac address that the ntl modem. STB is aware of.

JohnHorb
13-03-2005, 17:22
In that case, should be a straight swap. The router needs to be set to get it's external IP froom the CM, and to serve the connected computers via DHCP, but that's normally the default anyway. AFAIK, if you are on a SACM rather than STB, there's no need to mess around cloning MAC addresses. Don't forget to set up security (WEP, limiting access to defined MAC addresses etc.) If you're not familiar with all that, I'm sure someone will be along with a link shortly.

Tezcatlipoca
13-03-2005, 22:06
I had no problems swapping from a wired router (Linksys BEFSR41) to a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) with my ntl SACM connection. Just needed a modem reboot :)

Don't forget to set up security (WEP, limiting access to defined MAC addresses etc.) If you're not familiar with all that, I'm sure someone will be along with a link shortly.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12 :)

JohnHorb
13-03-2005, 22:08
:tu: