PDA

View Full Version : forklift law

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 18:40
hi all i need some advice as we have a counterbalnce forklift at work. wot i need to know is that do u need a licence to use one and wot age and the law on useing it on the road. the reason y im asking is that im only 20 and i use the forklift on the road outside work have no licence to load and unload and im not the only 1 no1 has a licence. thanks for any help.

iain

Paul K
11-03-2005, 18:42
You need a license specific to that type of truck and unless it's taxed to go out on the road it's not allowed on a public road as far as I'm aware.
Breach either of these and your company and you are breaking the law ;)

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 18:44
thats wot i thought just need to find something now so i can refuse to use the forks out side now

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 18:44
Yes you need a license to drive a forklift. Which has a 16yr old minimum as far as I know.

Forklifts are generally now allowed on the road unless they are designed for it. They should (in theory) have full road tax etc if they are used on the road.

Edit - Unless you have it in writing that you have been TOLD to drive the truck by your company I wouldn't do it as YOU could be held liable for any accidents.

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 18:58
if any1 can find a site that has the law on it would be good as im gonna ask for a meeting tuesday with the directors. our truck is over 20 yrs old and for the last 7 months we have be bugging them to get the brakes on it done and last month the finaly got some1 in to sirvice the forks

scrotnig
11-03-2005, 19:01
if any1 can find a site that has the law on it would be good as im gonna ask for a meeting tuesday with the directors. our truck is over 20 yrs old and for the last 7 months we have be bugging them to get the brakes on it done and last month the finaly got some1 in to sirvice the forks
Always seems something slightly strange when you're driving a vehicle that's older than you are....

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 19:02
yeah it does there very tight they dont like spending money lol

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 19:05
It's simple enough for your company to get you trained it's a 2 day course (at least it used to be) and the trainer can come to the premises and train you on site.
Be very careful around forks........otherwise you might need these (http://www.accident-compensation-information.co.uk/html/forklift_truck.html) people

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 19:10
yeah it is a 2day course cos they did look into it last year but never did anything about it. they are very tight wen it comes to spending

paulyoung666
11-03-2005, 19:15
a quiet & discreet word with the hse (http://www.hse.gov.uk/) might well be in order , all of the above stands as far as i am concerned , if there was an accident then you would i am afraid find yourself in the dock along with your company :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

It's simple enough for your company to get you trained it's a 2 day course (at least it used to be) and the trainer can come to the premises and train you on site.
Be very careful around forks........otherwise you might need these (http://www.accident-compensation-information.co.uk/html/forklift_truck.html) people

links borked my mate :(

MetaWraith
11-03-2005, 19:16
Try the Health and Safety Executive site
http://www.hse.gov.uk/

You may also find the following useful
http://www.ttt-services.co.uk/shift_test.htm
http://www.ttt-services.co.uk/h_s_p4.htm

Make sure you get trained and accredited to RTITB standards

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 19:24
Initially I had to do my counter balance test over 5 days. Then after that a 3 day addon for reach truck and another day course for VNA.

I can't emphasize how much crap you could get in if you drive a truck that's dodgy (breaks etc) or driving one without a license.

Especially as it sounds like your company don't give a smeg. So if there is an accident it sounds like they'll just deny telling you to drive it.

homealone
11-03-2005, 19:26
a brief search has come up with a few things

To operate a fork lift on the public highway the operator must have a full state driving licence. (and it is you that will be prosecuted, not the company) Also the truck must be road legal - lights, number plates, etc (it's classed as an agricultural vehicle afaik)

Fork Trucks have to have a certificate of 'Total Inspection' - effectively an MOT certificate, doesn't sound like yours has ....it would cost your firm a packet in compensation if anyone had an accident using your truck in the state it's in.

Employers have responsibility for ensuring their employees are trained & competent in the use of machinery used to perform their job.

- I couldn't find any specific info on whether a company needs to issue a formal document to confirm what training has occurred, but both the fork truck jobs I had issued a 'licence' detailing exactly what i was allowed to drive. For example I wasn't allowed to drive a reach truck on a counterbalance licence.

paulyoung666
11-03-2005, 19:28
Initially I had to do my counter balance test over 5 days. Then after that a 3 day addon for reach truck and another day course for VNA.

I can't emphasize how much crap you could get in if you drive a truck that's dodgy (breaks etc) or driving one without a license.

Especially as it sounds like your company don't give a smeg. So if there is an accident it sounds like they'll just deny telling you to drive it.

i fear the same , it is the same as if you borrow someones car and get done for dodgy brakes or tyres etc , it is the operators responsibility to make sure that the machine is roadworthy :erm:

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 21:14
links borked my mate :(strange........works for me :confused:

@iain_herts..........your company appears to be flouting lots of laws......have they even done a 'risk assesment'?.......this needs to encompass all areas of the building and be written down--to show that they have thought about risks in the workplace :rolleyes: :disturbd:

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 21:16
well i rember we did 1 last yr if that counts

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 21:18
well i rember we did 1 last yr if that countsDoh!......Of course.....it's free :D
Sod it.....just report them to health and safety........they'll come down on them like a ton of sh*t.............

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 21:19
Doh!......Of course.....it's free :D
Sod it.....just report them to health and safety........they'll come down on them like a ton of sh*t.............

Which I hasten to add you can do anonymously ;)

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 21:20
so wots this risk assement and are they ment to do it with every1

Hom3r
11-03-2005, 21:38
The best place to go is http://www.hse.gov.uk/ as mentioned , if your company is big see your safety reps.

there are loads of H&S regs

THE PROVISION AND USE OF WORK EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS 1998(PUWER)
LIFTING EQUIPMENT
and loads more
BTW - no employee is lible under Health and Safety Law unless they break rules laided by the company, And I'm a Health and Safety Rep where I work.

If the brakes are suspect refuse to drive it FULL STOP.

how big is your company?

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 21:47
no we are not a big company just a little one. i thing that does worry me is that our fire exits have bolts on not pad locked just bolted but we do have 1 door in the packing area that is a fire exit and that it pad locked.

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 21:50
no we are not a big company just a little one. i thing that does worry me is that our fire exits have bolts on not pad locked just bolted but we do have 1 door in the packing area that is a fire exit and that it pad locked.

Sounds like a real fun place to work!!!

Hom3r
11-03-2005, 21:55

being a small company you can report it anonomosly to the HSE, you could try talking to the bosses first but this might make report anonomosly difficult, get all the people who drive the FLT together and discuss this better to go in numbers rather than lambs.

the other option is harder though leave and get another job.

see word attachment print off and take to work

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 21:58
lol u could say that.i am currently looking for a new job

Theodoric
11-03-2005, 22:03
IIRC, there's an HSE guide on forklift trucks, something like HS(G)6.

iain_herts
11-03-2005, 22:14
thanks for that gonna make good reading i hope

samantha1987
25-03-2009, 20:15
Hello I wanted to know if we could get fined for not having a certification for a forklift operator. If so where could I find that information so I can show my boss.

TheDaddy
25-03-2009, 20:34
Hello I wanted to know if we could get fined for not having a certification for a forklift operator. If so where could I find that information so I can show my boss.

Yes you can, well your boss for sure

Failure of the employer to comply with the new rules can result in expensive fines and loss of insurance coverage.

This can be disastrous to the employer if a serious accident occurs.

http://www.forkliftcertification.com/faqs/index.php

Peter_
25-03-2009, 20:58
Below from http://www.workplacesafetyadvice.co.uk/forklift-truck-safety.html

To drive a fork lift truck in the UK a person is obliged by Law to undergo the correct training

Operators must receive adequate training which must be administered by an accredited trainer. The training should be broken down into several stages and should initially be carried out in a safe area and not in a ‘real work operation’ situation.

Below is a HSE pdf on Forklift safety

www.hseni.gov.uk/is_your_fork_lift_truck_being_used_safely.pdf

Trolley
19-04-2010, 21:51
Hey, Iain u might find this info helpful.bout forklifts n driving (http://www.forklifttrainingdirect.co.uk/articles/quick_guide_to_a_forklift_truck/Driving_a_forklift_truck_on_a_public_road.html) on roads. And it says somewhere no such thing a forklift license! Anyway easier to read than some sites. cheers, tommy

Peter_
19-04-2010, 23:12
Hey, Iain u might find this info helpful.bout forklifts n driving (http://www.forklifttrainingdirect.co.uk/articles/quick_guide_to_a_forklift_truck/Driving_a_forklift_truck_on_a_public_road.html) on roads. And it says somewhere no such thing a forklift license! Anyway easier to read than some sites. cheers, tommy
It is a certificate of training and is commonly called a license.

Lord Nikon
19-04-2010, 23:32
wow, this thread has had more comebacks than status quo.

ewayne2570
29-12-2011, 11:19
I am an RTITB forklift instructor. The law states that you need to have undergone basic minimum training to use any kind of flt, you must be 18 years old to drive unless under constant supervision or working on marine docks then the age is reduced to 16. As for driving on the highways, you can drive upto 1000 mtrs per week without modifications on the highway to reach other units or to unload vehicles. If you operate the truck without a certificate you can receive heavy fines or even imprisonment. Remember HSE have greater powers than the police in industrial matters. If you need more info or require training please send me your contact details and I will contact you... Wayne

Hugh
29-12-2011, 11:21
You do realise the previous post to yours was over 20 months ago?

Lord Nikon
29-12-2011, 12:29
my post #32 just became even more valid

raymond drno
24-03-2012, 18:46
if you have no forklift licence can your employer still ask you to use it in the workplace or just outside the workplace.

peanut
24-03-2012, 18:48
if you have no forklift licence can your employer still ask you to use it in the workplace or just outside the workplace.

No, as you won't be covered by any insurance.

raymond drno
24-03-2012, 19:09
Thanks. Can your employer try to claim of insurance if you've had an accident but had no forlklift licence. Can he try to claim damages back from you or sack you even though you have told them you've got no licence and they new that.

peanut
24-03-2012, 19:12
Thanks. Can your employer try to claim of insurance if you've had an accident but had no forlklift licence. Can he try to claim damages back from you or sack you even though you have told them you've got no licence and they new that.

Tricky one, depends on how low the boss is willing to go. I'd get good proper legal advice if the boss is going down that road.

raymond drno
24-03-2012, 19:14
Thanks fpr that 1

ewayne2570
26-03-2012, 14:30
Just remember that if you have had no training to operate a flt then you should not be using it. Your boss has a legal responsibility to ensure that you are trained and you should not be allowed to use one until you have completed the training, you can be prosecuted and so can your employer. You can NOT be sacked for refusing to use equipment that you have not been sufficiently trained on.
Wayne RTITB & ITSSAR instructor